Clutch Spring

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spsa88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Sup guys, I had this engine on my Tamiya and the clutch spring went out and the local hobby shop can't ID it for some reason. I looked it up and could not match the cooling head color with anything online. I am guessing it is an OFNA Picco W 27 big block which is the number/name on the engine. Can anybody confirm this for me? The engine is at least 3-5 years old but still runs stronggg.

So onto my next question, should I replace the whole clutch or try to modify a newer spring onto the current clutch. Btw it is a two shoe which doesn't seem to be so popular anymore. I never had to replace the clutch before so would most OFNA clutches work with this engine?

Attachments

• IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0985.JPG
    IMG_0985.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 122
what a bummer nobody had 2 cents to offer! So I found a traxxas 2 shoe clutch and replaced it and now the clutch works fine.

I still have a problem though the car idles once its fired up and will not stay still. I played with the carb settings and had no luck. I am trying everything I can now, and plan on cleaning the carb this weekend. Could I use wd40 on it?

Also once I give it any gas it usually dies out. Sometimes it will work for a little but most of the time if the throttle is applied it bogs out. Possible gas line problems? This car sat for over a year.

thanks!

So I got it to work better today now when I give it gas its not dieing out on me. Still can't keep it sitting once started though it just wants to move. There is a little free play on the clutch bell would this cause any problems? The bearing might also be bad, so far I have had no luck finding a Tamiya clutch bell bearing they are so damn small. Any suggestions?

Ya if there's play i would get the bearings. Do you know what size the bearings are? You said the clutch spring was bad did you replace it? If the springs are bad the shoes will prematurely engage and cause it to creep forwards.

Last edited:
I got two sets of shoes/springs and so far it seems like my clutch is doing well. Not sure what size the bearings are, I stopped by the local hobby shop and they had nothing for me. Hopefully Tamiya can hook me up!

If it's creeping at idle and the clutch is good, it's all in the tune. You'll need to lower the idle speed to slow it down enough to stop the clutch shoes from engaging. You'll probably play a little ping pong between the idle screw and the LSN, but once you have it idling and staying still with a good takeoff from a dead stop and no overheating, you'll finally have it right.

Not sure what your asking tater, its a Tamiya terra crusher chassy with a Picco .27 big block engine.

Rolex this is good news! I figured the tuning was way off so now I will play with it tomorrow. I let this car sit for a while so I plan on tearing the engine down and sealing everything tomorrow as well. Thanks for the help, I'm loving your tuning/sealing thread!