Longer life from a 2 shoe clutch?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madara

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I snapped my 2 shoe clutch spring in the firestorm, and decided to use 2 shoes from an 8th scale 3 shoe clutch. It works, but the springs are soft, and it's messing with the idle. If I lower the idle the engine cuts, if I raise it the clutch engages. The 2 shoe clutch is stiffer, but I don't want it to snap again, at least until I can buy stiffer 3 shoe clutch springs.

So my question is how can I keep my 2 shoe clutch from breaking?

So I snapped my 2 shoe clutch spring in the firestorm, and decided to use 2 shoes from an 8th scale 3 shoe clutch. It works, but the springs are soft, and it's messing with the idle. If I lower the idle the engine cuts, if I raise it the clutch engages. The 2 shoe clutch is stiffer, but I don't want it to snap again, at least until I can buy stiffer 3 shoe clutch springs.

So my question is how can I keep my 2 shoe clutch from breaking?
The two shoe is stiffer because it's a two shoe. The shoes are bigger then the three shoe. Did you try putting the three shoe instead of the 2 shoe?

Agreed, Just put the 3 shoe clutch on there and run it until you can get a 2 shoe spring to replace the broken one.

Well if his 2 shoe is a 10th scale, he'd need a 32p 1/8th clutchbell, not likely his 1/10 clutchbell will fit on a 1/8 3 shoe clutch.

Well if his 2 shoe is a 10th scale, he'd need a 32p 1/8th clutchbell, not likely his 1/10 clutchbell will fit on a 1/8 3 shoe clutch.
Well it really comes down to the engine size. Not so much the scale of rc. The .12 - .18 engines will be running the 2 shoe clutch. And the
.18 - +. Will be running the 3 shoe clutch. Almost all clutch bells are a mod .1 gearing or pitch.. You can measure them to figure out what you have . To find out what pitch or gear is needed.. you need to count the # of teeth by the width of the bell gear.. so it really comes down to what size nitro he has. And not particularly the scale of the RC...here's a link for the gear sizing and pitch calculator..

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/information/rc-calculators/rc-gear-calculator/

If it's possible not sure what nitro he is running. But can also just change the flywheel and clutch to fit and make the 3shoe fit and work. If he can do that. And has the tools to do so..