Clutch and clutch bells

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Are these sort of interchangeable on nitro engines?

If I want to upgrade my clutch and bell, can I just buy anything and pop it on? Or can I just buy new clutch shoes and spring and use my existing bell?

If not, what should I be looking at when I want to replace the clutch and bell?

Same goes for the flywheel.

Yes and no as to buying anything and popping it on. There are 1/10 size and 1/8 size clutches. You'll need a mod1 bell and spur if you use a 1/8th clutch. You should also know that some brands, like Reds, their clutches only work with their bells as they are just a hair larger than the standard 1/8th. 1/10th general (not always) uses 32p bells.

You can however put a 1/8th clutch, bell, and spur on a small block engine, and you can put a 1/10th on a big block engine. The shaft's and collets are all generally the same in size.

I am just realizing this now, but aluminium clutch shoes are no good.
They damage the clutch bell in the long run, to the point that it needs machining on a lathe.
Also, there are aluminum bits/dust all around the clutch bell area, including the air filter.
I am now only installing carbon or nylon clutch shoes, they are cheap and for me work the best.