Newbie Needing Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skye_Foxxo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I'm working on my nitro I got for X-Mas, don't know what brand it was but the engine is a VX-18. It was running pretty decently for a while, then I had a kind of rough crash, it was bad enough to snap a wheel stub axle and I *think* it broke the clutch shoe spring. (the damage to the clutch assembly may have happened after the fact on the below issue)

I replaced the wheel stub axle; after trying to run the engine either due to rpm or clutch damage, it kept the clutch engaged/truck wanted to run off.

So then I replaced the flywheel, clutch shoes/spring, and clutch bell. All *seems* to be installed properly, but no matter what I can't get the truck to stop wanting to run off. The rpm's sound high but I'm not sure.

It seems like it's running lean (high rpm/running away), but at the same time rich (often wants to stop right after glow igniter is removed). The only way to get the engine to run on it's own is tune it closer to lean but it still wants to roll away.

tl;dr (too long didn't read)
  • factory engine ran well
  • crash
  • broken axle and burnt up clutch shoes/broken clutch spring
  • truck still wants to run away
  • seems lean (running away) but also rich (sputtering and engine stop on igniter removal)
    • also spits out the excess fuel when I do start to lean it out and run more properly
  • also tried needles at close to factory settings with no luck

I know there are lots of variables but I hope someone can help.

Sounds like you are running rich, I would lean it out a bit and then check the throttle trim on your radio.

Inspect your clutch shoes i had exact same problems with a new Volcano with vx18.

Spring snapped.

Replaced it.

Shoes stuck to bell after.

Thanks for the tips, ordered another set of shoes as the replacements are showing again from second round of issues.

Had to take a step back as I was getting frustrated with tuning going nowhere. Will do my best to reset to factory needles and fresh shoes(and spring) and try again.

Thanks for the tips, ordered another set of shoes as the replacements are showing again from second round of issues.

Had to take a step back as I was getting frustrated with tuning going nowhere. Will do my best to reset to factory needles and fresh shoes(and spring) and try again.
I opted for aluminum shoes and a traxxas stall spring.

Back