charging lipos in parallel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bergoff

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm getting some small lipos for my merv and want to run them in parallel. Should I charge them in parallel? And what do I need. I have an electicfly lipo charger. My charger will handle up to 6s. And I will have 2 2s and 2 3s packs.

It's better to balance/charge them which you can't really do with the packs in parallel.

The safest thing to do is charge them seperately but use them in Parallel as you want. I can't say for sure because I've never tried it, but you may not be able to charge them if you wire the lacks in parallel because they technically will be series/parallel. If you did attempt to charge them like that you would want to setup the charger to charge at 7.4v and the sum of the packs mah rating. Even if it did work it would be imperative that both packs are the same. I'm not recommending that though as I don't know how safe or correct that is. Personally Iwould charge them separately.

Sent from my DROIDX

You can purchase balance adapters to balance charge 2 3s lipo's as a 6s or 2 2s' as a 4s as long as your charger/balancer supports them this high. Then you charge them in series not parallel. I would never recomend charging a lipo in paralell. When you charge a 3,000mah lipo pack in parallel, you're charging it to 6000mahs. How do you know which is going to already have more of a charger than the other? this is really not a good idea, coming from the guy who used to rarely use the balancer.

You could charge them without a balancer in series for example the possitive on charger to possitive on one of the packs, then negative and possitive on the packs together then negative on the other pack. You can do this without a balancer but would have to charger 3s lipos as 6s and 2s lipos as 4s and your charger has to support that. Never do this with different mah rated batteries.

Last edited:
I was just curious because I will have 3 pairs of packs which the packs in the pairs are exactly the same.

Back