Charger advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigtheone

RCTalk Talkaholic
Active Military
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey all, I'm in the market for a budget charger as I'm buying a new 5200mah battery and want to get a charger/discharger.
Not looking for any pro stuff just one better than the standard little charger that came with my FTX Bugsta, which probably damaged the battery that it came with.
I've found this charger (genuine not one of the fakes on ebay)
Everyone think it will be OK?
Thanks in advance!!!
https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger

SkyRC stuff isn't bad. I had one for a number of years that I just sent home with my son to use at home. And that one looks ok for the money.

SkyRC stuff isn't bad. I had one for a number of years that I just sent home with my son to use at home. And that one looks ok for the money.
Brilliant thanks @WickedFog bud I'll get it ordered up. Will I just plug my battery in using the balance cable like usual or will I need any extra cables? Noob question i know but this is the first electric RC I've ever had anything to do with!
And am I right in assuming that I can upgrade straight from the 3200mah 2s battery to a 5200 2s battery? Will it just give me longer running time?

Brilliant thanks @WickedFog bud I'll get it ordered up. Will I just plug my battery in using the balance cable like usual or will I need any extra cables? Noob question i know but this is the first electric RC I've ever had anything to do with!
And am I right in assuming that I can upgrade straight from the 3200mah 2s battery to a 5200 2s battery? Will it just give me longer running time?
You also need a charge lead for whatever connector your LiPo has, it needs to be an XT60 female to (your connector). Unless your LiPo has an XT60 on it.

Hey all, I'm in the market for a budget charger as I'm buying a new 5200mah battery and want to get a charger/discharger.
Not looking for any pro stuff just one better than the standard little charger that came with my FTX Bugsta, which probably damaged the battery that it came with.
I've found this charger (genuine not one of the fakes on ebay)
Everyone think it will be OK?
Thanks in advance!!!
https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/skyrc-s65-65w-6a-ac-balance-charger
That's the charger I use. Good charger and reliable. Can only charge up to 4s on it though.

To answer your mAh question - yes, you can put as many mAh as you want in it. That is just the battery capacity. Think of it as a fuel tank in a car. More is better 😉

For the balance cable, like on my charger, I use a balance cable extension, because some batteries have a very short balance lead and it is hard to get it plugged in. And to make it so I can plug any battery in, I modify the connector like so...
20220119_160347.jpg

You will of course need a 4s extension for yours.

Instead of notching out the whole connector, you can just cut slots where the tab is on the various connectors that prevent it from sliding in. I went the easy route and just got rid of that whole area.

When plugging it in, the positive lead goes towards the positive lead, but shifted towards the negative side for fewer cell batteries. Like so...
20220119_160448.jpg

Or you can just get a balance board that has all the balance plug sizes on it. But you would need a 4s one. This is a 6s one.
Screenshot_20220127-135130_Amazon Shopping.jpg

For the discharge lead, you will need an adapter with an XT60 to whatever your battery has. Make sure you get the female XT60, not the male. The connector gender is based on the pins inside, not the plug housing, so it can be confusing. What plug is on your battery?

To answer your mAh question - yes, you can put as many mAh as you want in it. That is just the battery capacity. Think of it as a fuel tank in a car. More is better 😉

For the balance cable, like on my charger, I use a balance cable extension, because some batteries have a very short balance lead and it is hard to get it plugged in. And to make it so I can plug any battery in, I modify the connector like so...
View attachment 141070

Instead of notching out the whole connector, you can just cut slots where the tab is on the various connectors that prevent it from sliding in. I went the easy route and just got rid of that whole area.

When plugging it in, the positive lead goes towards the positive lead, but shifted towards the negative side for fewer cell batteries. Like so...
View attachment 141071

Or you can just get a balance board that has all the balance plug sizes on it. But you would need a 4s one. This is a 6s one.
View attachment 141072

For the discharge lead, you will need an adapter with an XT60 to whatever your battery has. Make sure you get the female XT60, not the male. The connector gender is based on the pins inside, not the plug housing, so it can be confusing. What plug is on your battery?
The charger only goes up to 4s on the options does that change when you connect a bigger balance board?

The charger only goes up to 4s on the options does that change when you connect a bigger balance board?
No. You can't connect a bigger balance board, because it only has a 4s plug I think? Does yours have a 6s plug?

Did an image search.
Nope. Just a 4s plug.
Screenshot_20220127-143400_Chrome.jpg

dont know why and rcer would want a 65 w charger with 10 watts discharge..had a 4 button(50 watt) charger back when lipos came on the market then got a charger to test it had 250 watts never used a lesser watt charger after

View attachment 141070

View attachment 141071

View attachment 141072

OK, this went over my head lol I was assuming the new battery would come with the same Dean type connector and 3 pin balance plug as my existing one has... I was looking at the Zeee batteries in particular, just a 2s as that's what is in mine now and didn't want to break anything on my rc... il check out the battery now bud
That's the charger I use. Good charger and reliable. Can only charge up to 4s on it though.
Hey bud I recognise that football badge, I'm from Durham so not too far from you I'm guessing! And the battery I have is a 2s anyway so was gonna be getting one of those
dont know why and rcer would want a 65 w charger with 10 watts discharge..had a 4 button(50 watt) charger back when lipos came on the market then got a charger to test it had 250 watts never used a lesser watt charger after
This is the cheapest genuine charger I can find bud
@WickedFog this is the battery I was going to buy bud
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeee-7-4V-...cphy=1006688&hvtargid=pla-1434036132124&psc=1

Last edited:
OK, this went over my head lol I was assuming the new battery would come with the same Dean type connector and 3 pin balance plug as my existing one has... I was looking at the Zeee batteries in particular, just a 2s as that's what is in mine now and didn't want to break anything on my rc... il check out the battery now bud
All 2s LiPo batteries will have the same 3-wire jst balance plug. You can buy LiPo's with whatever discharge lead you want. But yeah, the one you linked is a Deans connector. So you will need an XT60 to Deans adaptor to hook it up to your charger.

As for the balance extension cable, you don't technically need one, but it will make plugging in the batteries easier. Plus it saves wear and tear on you balance port on your charger.

Not sure what went over your head, but let me know if you need any other help.

All 2s LiPo batteries will have the same 3-wire jst balance plug. You can buy LiPo's with whatever discharge lead you want. But yeah, the one you linked is a Deans connector. So you will need an XT60 to Deans adaptor to hook it up to your charger.

As for the balance extension cable, you don't technically need one, but it will make plugging in the batteries easier. Plus it saves wear and tear on you balance port on your charger.

Not sure what went over your head, but let me know if you need any other help.
Haha all the talk of different connectors and wires is new to me bud honestly it's shameful I know but I've never had anything to do with lipo batteries or electric rc stuff so I'm literally starting from the bottom mate lol 😆
So I will be discharging through the Deans plug (with Deans-xt60 lead)? 🤔
And will my 3 pin balance plug fit the charger with no problems or will I need a lead to fit that too?
I'm so new to this mate honest haha 😄

Haha all the talk of different connectors and wires is new to me bud honestly it's shameful I know but I've never had anything to do with lipo batteries or electric rc stuff so I'm literally starting from the bottom mate lol 😆
So I will be discharging through the Deans plug (with Deans-xt60 lead)? 🤔
And will my 3 pin balance plug fit the charger with no problems or will I need a lead to fit that too?
I'm so new to this mate honest haha 😄
Yeah, the discharge lead is the big fat ones with the Deans plug.

The charger's balance port is made like the one in my previous pic of the cable I modified. It will accept any balance plug up to 4s.

Yeah, the discharge lead is the big fat ones with the Deans plug.

The charger's balance port is made like the one in my previous pic of the cable I modified. It will accept any balance plug up to 4s.
That's good news, I just didn't want to buy it all then have to go and order more stuff to get it working!
Thanks @WickedFog always great informative advice, it must be annoying to deal with noobs like me sometimes so I appreciate it hugely haha 😄

Avoid Overlander LiPos, from what I have heard and seen, they puff up quickly and easily. The chargers seem to be SkyRC rebrands, so they should be fine.
Thanks bud I had my eye on a zeee battery anyway
If you can get CNHL batteries over there, I would grab them.
I'll take a look thanks wicked, I only ask about overlander as the sky rc one doesn't come with the xt60 to Deans cable and the overlander does