So anyone have advice for me on charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRAT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
I’m about done with my charger I need a good one that is easy to work with. No stupid error codes so on charge my battery or balance them. I’m getting frustrated with this pos I have.
I’m about done with my charger I need a good one that is easy to work with. No stupid error codes so on charge my battery or balance them. I’m getting frustrated with this pos I have.
Anyone have advice or has one for sale I’ll buy.

whats your budget and are you going to be running it on AC or DC power?

AC current my house.

I second the motion on the D6 Pro. I have the DC only version (Hota D6), because I already had a separate power supply. Loved the thing so much I had to get another Hota (H6 Pro) just for my 4&6 cell LiPo packs. They now came out with the S6 which has twice as much power at the D6 Pro.

If safety is at all a concern you might want to buy one with a battery temperature sensor. After seeing some of the battery fails here lately, safety is really on my mind. A temp sensor can stop a fire before it starts.

Most of the brands I have looked at getting a temp sensor for including my own were either (Hota D6) no sensor available even though they advertise "OTP" Over Temp Protection or the manufactures do not make the sensors any more as in the case with my Dynamite Passport P2.
I was talking with a guy at HobbyTown the other day and he suggested the ProTek Prodigy 610 as it has a temp sensor you can but with the charger and is made by the same company.
If you are not concerned with heat detection and protection, I also recommend the Hota D6.

If safety is at all a concern you might want to buy one with a battery temperature sensor. After seeing some of the battery fails here lately, safety is really on my mind. A temp sensor can stop a fire before it starts.

Most of the brands I have looked at getting a temp sensor for including my own were either (Hota D6) no sensor available even though they advertise "OTP" Over Temp Protection or the manufactures do not make the sensors any more as in the case with my Dynamite Passport P2.
I was talking with a guy at HobbyTown the other day and he suggested the ProTek Prodigy 610 as it has a temp sensor you can but with the charger and is made by the same company.
If you are not concerned with heat detection and protection, I also recommend the Hota D6.
I have the Prodigy 610. It's not worth buying.

I have the Prodigy 610. It's not worth buying.
Well that does not leave many good ones with a temp sensor option.
I guess our safety is not one of their top concerns.

Easy fix
ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Large LCD Backlight Food Grill Thermometer with Timer Mode for Smoker Kitchen Oven BBQ, Silver https://a.co/d/95FGUgQ
I second the motion on the D6 Pro. I have the DC only version (Hota D6), because I already had a separate power supply. Loved the thing so much I had to get another Hota (H6 Pro) just for my 4&6 cell LiPo packs. They now came out with the S6 which has twice as much power at the D6 Pro.
That S6 looks nice too. At 400W instead of 200W of the D6 Pro, it's a pretty good option if you plan to charge multiple, really big batteries. But the D6 Pro also supports power distribution, so supposedly, both channels can be used to charge a single battery, giving you 400W x 1. I have never had a need for anywhere near that much power, so I'm not sure how you set that up. Plus I like the wireless phone charger on the D6, so if I were buying another charger today, I may still lean towards the D6 Pro. But that S6 is a beast on AC.

Last edited:
Almost all chargers come with a temp sensor port (or at least all the chargers I've ever bought did) you just have to buy a generic 3 wire sensor to plug in to the port like one of THESE.

Last edited:
Almost all charger come with a temp sensor port (or at least all the chargers I've ever bought did) you just have to buy a generic 3 wire sensor to plug in to the port like one of THESE.
Unfortunately the Hota D6 does not.
The plug may be standard but I really don't trust these companies as they can too easily say "The sensor needs to be made by them"
These companies, especially a Chinese company with no representation in the US, pass the buck too easily.

That sucks. Well, I guess it can't be perfect lol

I guess if your only doing LiPos then no biggie and if you needed to do both then Id buy the D6pro for lipo and buy a cheap Imax B6 for NiXX packs.

Easy fix
ThermoPro TP-17 Dual Probe Digital Cooking Meat Thermometer Large LCD Backlight Food Grill Thermometer with Timer Mode for Smoker Kitchen Oven BBQ, Silver https://a.co/d/95FGUgQ

That S6 looks nice too. At 400W instead of 200W of the D6 Pro, it's a pretty good option if you plan to charge multiple, really big batteries. But the D6 Pro also supports power distribution, so supposedly, both channels can be used to charge a single battery, giving you 400W x 1. I have never had a need for anywhere near that much power, so I'm not sure how you set that up. Plus I like the wireless phone charger on the D6, so if I were buying another charger today, I may still lean towards the D6 Pro. But that S6 is a beast on AC.
Everybody's charging practices are different. I've been doing 2C charge rates for many, many years now. After work, I come home; open the garage doors; pull my chargers out, and start charging. Having a pack ready to go in 20~30 minutes means a lot more "happy place" RCing time for me before the sun goes down. 2C charge rates for larger 6 cell packs... I need at least 328 watts to get things done. The Hota D6/D6 Pro will only do 325w x2 on 24v DC power supply... I only have a 12v power supply at the moment ;). This is why I got a separate Hota H6 Pro for my 6S packs.

Scriptasylum R/C Calculations

1678624829653.png

For me, I can't wait an hour, or more, for a pack to finish up balancing on 1C charge rates. I only do 1C charge rates for the first couple of rounds on new batteries. I have not seen a drastic drop in the life span of my packs since going to a 2C charge rate.

Again, a person's wants; needs, and safety practices while charging may/will vary. I just hate it when I see people make the mistake I made when I first started out with LiPo packs. My first chargers were from eBay auctions. I paid $15 or less each one, and eventually had three of them. 80w eachThey served me well for many years of 2S charging. As I learned more and more about LiPo batteries; having friends/family come over; moving to 1.5C charging rates, and diving into 3S platforms... I began needing more power.
1678628616704.png

The old school four-button type chargers are still out there with minimum updates to them. Even some of the new Protek, and Reedy chargers are rebranded models that I still consider old school. Nowadays, the new breed of chargers on the market have so much more to offer than a fancy "race proven brand" name on something. Diggin' deep into specs/features and a person may find things like, high charge current; internal resistance reading; balance current; external/regenerative discharging; and bright/colorful screen menu readout to fancy one's choice of perfect charger.

Everybody's charging practices are different. I've been doing 2C charge rates for many, many years now. After work, I come home; open the garage doors; pull my chargers out, and start charging. Having a pack ready to go in 20~30 minutes means a lot more "happy place" RCing time for me before the sun goes down. 2C charge rates for larger 6 cell packs... I need at least 328 watts to get things done. The Hota D6/D6 Pro will only do 325w x2 on 24v DC power supply... I only have a 12v power supply at the moment ;). This is why I got a separate Hota H6 Pro for my 6S packs.

Scriptasylum R/C Calculations

View attachment 161711
For me, I can't wait an hour, or more, for a pack to finish up balancing on 1C charge rates. I only do 1C charge rates for the first couple of rounds on new batteries. I have not seen a drastic drop in the life span of my packs since going to a 2C charge rate.

Again, a person's wants; needs, and safety practices while charging may/will vary. I just hate it when I see people make the mistake I made when I first started out with LiPo packs. My first chargers were from eBay auctions. I paid $15 or less each one, and eventually had three of them. 80w eachThey served me well for many years of 2S charging. As I learned more and more about LiPo batteries; having friends/family come over; moving to 1.5C charging rates, and diving into 3S platforms... I began needing more power.
View attachment 161712

The old school four-button type chargers are still out there with minimum updates to them. Even some of the new Protek, and Reedy chargers are rebranded models that I still consider old school. Nowadays, the new breed of chargers on the market have so much more to offer than a fancy "race proven brand" name on something. Diggin' deep into specs/features and a person may find things like, high charge current; internal resistance reading; balance current; external/regenerative discharging; and bright/colorful screen menu readout to fancy one's choice of perfect charger.
Yeah, we see it on this forum all the time where people opt for the little 100A or less chargers and pay $60+ for them. The D6 is about the best I have seen that I recommend for a beginning charger at $120 or less. And going to a DC supply gives you even more headroom, so that is what I like about it.

Last edited:
The issue with the Hota S6 is that it is very hard to get, I ordered one with BG 6 weeks ago and it is still not back in stock so I will have to drop that order, I am now trying to get one through Aliexpress. Happy to post here once (and if) it arrives in a couple of weeks

That is actually a good offer, I am in Europe so would need to add shipping cost but even then it is not much more expensive than the Ali price. Need the European power connector too but guess an adapter would work as well, thank you.