Charger and Balance Board Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey y'all, I recently got a good condition Tenergy TB6B balance charger from a friend (friend was helping someone move, and they couldn't keep the charger, and they gave it to my friend). I've been needing to upgrade to a better charger for months (I had a very basic SkyRC 2s/3s balance charger previously, no buttons), and this was perfect. One of my other friends has a similar charger which I've used before, so I'm familiar with the basic features of this TB6B.

One of the things included with the charger is a "JST XH balancing connector":
JST-XH-Balance-Board.jpg

Just wondering what this is for, exactly? It seems redundant, as my charger has a 1-6s LiPo balance pin slot on the side. This just seems to serve the exact same purpose, but instead of one slot taking 1-6s, each cell count has it's own slot here on the board? In the manual for this charger, it says this BALANCE – This is for 2-6 cell Lithium batteries with a balance port. The battery’s individual cell balance connector should be inserted into the balance board connected to the right side of the charger". https://power.tenergy.com/content/manuals/01435_manual.pdf

So, can anyone tell me why I would need this board/do I need to use it?

-Isaac

If your balance plug fits in the socket on the charger, no need to use the board.

I use them just to get some extra distance so my packs don't have to be right next to the charger.

I'm guessing there's also less of a chance you'll miss the right pins on the balance connector with this kind of setup.

As mentioned, no need to use a balance board. I do however use a 6s balance extension, because some of my batteries have really short balance leads. I just trim the tab out of the extension so I can plug any battery into it.
20230208_115331.jpg

20230208_115235.jpg

20230208_115501.jpg

As mentioned, no need to use a balance board. I do however use a 6s balance extension, because some of my batteries have really short balance leads. I just trim the tab out of the extension so I can plug any battery into it.
View attachment 165702
View attachment 165703
View attachment 165701
I see. Make sense, thanks y'all!

So the board is just an extension for charging, and not actually required. Side note - I do love the batteries that come with the little balance plug extension grip thingy, a small touch but so nice. One pair of LiPos I bought from Amazon had those, I unclipped those and put them on my CNHLs 😂 those little tabs are underrated. I once ruined a LiPo by pulling a balance wire (literally desoldered it) out from the balance plug because of many plugs and unplugs, some rougher than others

I see. Make sense, thanks y'all!

So the board is just an extension for charging, and not actually required. Side note - I do love the batteries that come with the little balance plug extension grip thingy, a small touch but so nice. One pair of LiPos I bought from Amazon had those, I unclipped those and put them on my CNHLs 😂 those little tabs are underrated. I once ruined a LiPo by pulling a balance wire (literally desoldered it) out from the balance plug because of many plugs and unplugs, some rougher than others
Pics? Not sure what grips you are referring to.

if you accidentally pull a balance pin out you should easily be able to push it back in

if you pulled the wire off the pin then simply detach the pin, solder, place shrink tubing over the repair and push the pin back in

if you accidentally pull a balance pin out you should easily be able to push it back in

if you pulled the wire off the pin then simply detach the pin, solder, place shrink tubing over the repair and push the pin back in
I...have gotten this far in the hobby without soldering 💀

I will get an iron...eventually. For now, I just love how RC is mostly plug and play. It can be a real pain finding ESCs with all the rights plugs though...

It seems to be a trend with cheap electronic parts to have crappy, weak solder joints. Companies, just take a few more seconds and give us more secure solder joints!
Pics? Not sure what grips you are referring to.
I just searched Amazon for a LiPo and this was the first one I found. See how there are those little plastic snap-on tabs on the balance leads? https://www.amazon.com/Zeee-Battery...684901578&sprefix=lipo+battery,aps,217&sr=8-3

Back