Can I charge an 11.1v 5200mah lipo with a normal charger?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siclic

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi can I charge a lipo 11.1v 5200mah with a standard battery charger??

what do you consider a standard battery charger?. a lipo need a lipo charger never good to guess at a lipos finish voltage , and it wont be 11.1 it will be 12.6.. as each cell has .2 volts finish voltage unless its a liHv battery.
so NO dont gamble

A proper lipo charger monitors each cell in the pack as it charges. If any cell goes very much over 4.2V, it runs the risk of bursting and catching fire. So no, it's not recommended at all to not use a balance charger for multi-cell lipo packs. You may be able to get away with it on a single cell pack if you can set the stop voltage at 4.2V.

what do you consider a standard battery charger?. a lipo need a lipo charger never good to guess at a lipos finish voltage , and it wont be 11.1 it will be 12.6.. as each cell has .2 volts finish voltage unless its a liHv battery.
so NO dont gamble

11.1 mate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 107
A proper lipo charger monitors each cell in the pack as it charges. If any cell goes very much over 4.2V, it runs the risk of bursting and catching fire. So no, it's not recommended at all to not use a balance charger for multi-cell lipo packs. You may be able to get away with it on a single cell pack if you can set the stop voltage at 4.2V.
Cheers mate

The curious side of me is screaming to say "Yes! Absolutely it will work!" only to see what would happen. However, due to being afraid of having an attorney knocking on my door, I will have to say "Don't try it."

A standard battery charger will not put your battery on storage. You must put your battery on storage each time you're not going to use it for more than 24 hours. There is already enough risk involved in charging and storing LiPO batteries that you would never want to take the risk of charging in a fashion that is not recommended. Do not do it

The curious side of me is screaming to say "Yes! Absolutely it will work!" only to see what would happen. However, due to being afraid of having an attorney knocking on my door, I will have to say "Don't try it."
Haha, yea I figured. Thought there might have been a loophole. Thanks for your feedback

In Short. No!
Haha, yea I’ve ordered a lipo charger/ discharger/ balance thingy.. i knew it was going to be a hard NO but wanted to see if anyone has done it before ,cheers

Well technically you can & you can’t
Your cells will be all over the place but you’ll have the total voltage if you stop it there .
I accidentally charged a little helicopter as an NiMH on 2amp . unknowing it was a lithium battery. I was in the kitchen and heard a bang. Flipping thing burst into flames living room carpet was on fire. Along with a burning plastic helicopter luckily I managed to stamp it out . But that terrified the Poo out of me thinking all my Lipos for my cars ?
Best to Play it safe .

Well technically you can & you can’t
Your cells will be all over the place but you’ll have the total voltage if you stop it there .
I accidentally charged a little helicopter as an NiMH on 2amp . unknowing it was a lithium battery. I was in the kitchen and heard a bang. Flipping thing burst into flames living room carpet was on fire. Along with a burning plastic helicopter luckily I managed to stamp it out . But that terrified the Poo out of me thinking all my Lipos for my cars ?
Best to Play it safe .
Jesus! Yea think I’ll wait for my charger , I’ve got a 7.2v NiMH I’ll run for now, tbh the 11.1 lipo I can’t control the thing, it rips! I’ll prob order a 7.4 lipo, 11.1 unless on concrete or road it’s un controllable..that’s on gravel, haven’t had it on dirt with the 11.1 yet, weather is terrible atm

Back