Burned Out ESC and Questions for a New One

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgamer

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I burnt out my Turnigy 80a waterproof ESC on my SC10 by plugging my leads in backwards on my battery, noob mistake. But I have been a fan of there ESC's and want to try a new one.

I have a 5000kv motor on it with stock gearing, what should I change with that for speed or torque. I am planning on buying a new motor for either speed or torque what kv rating should I get for either? And gearing for that?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense but I will be on here to answer your questions if you have any about this post.

Thanks.

The higher the kV the more RPMs per volt and the lower torque available. Multi-pole motors have more torque than 2-pole motors.

The more winding turns on a motor the more torque and less RPMs it can turn for the voltage.

First, Turnigy ESCs are junk. I'm not being a snob; I have tried them, very disappointing. Spend just a little more for Hobbywing, you'll be glad you did.

Now, for us to offer any useful advice, we need to confirm what you're running it in. In your profile, you have it listed as your SC10RS, a 2WD, 5 pound SCT. We'll operate under that assumption unless you say otherwise.

With a 5,000 KV motor in it now, I'm guessing you don't care one whit about being legal for ROAR racing. If you want the thing to be more potent, I would suggest a lower KV 4 pole 550 motor, and gear it up.

Bang for the buck, gonna be hard to beat these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25842257db

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ezrun-120A-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8ca192d1

The Reedy 550SL is a 3,500 KV 550 motor that is only slightly larger than a typical 540 can, but the extra rotor mass and 4 pole design give it a lot of grunt. The Hobbywing SC8WP is a 1/8 scale waterproof 4S capable 120A ESC with a relatively small footprint, and it can handle pushing a 550 can in a 1/10 2WD SCT all day long non-stop.

I have heard a lot of good things about Hobbywing. and they are still in my budget for what I want.

Yes, your assumption is correct.

No I do not care about ROAR just as long as it goes faster than my buddy's without breaking anything.

And that looks great, awesome price too. But the thing is that I have only a small place to put my ESC on it because the battery runs up the middle and you only have about an 1 in to put an ESC in before it chokes down for the side bumpers to attach. Then about a 1 3/4 of an inch to put the ESC in between the battery wall and side of the chassis. The Turnigy ESC fit in there like a glove, all I had to do was push it in with out velcro or anything to hold it in place and it never fell out. So as much as I want a 1/8th ESC I am not sure they will fit.

Do know the specs for the ESC? If not where I can find them I tried looking but did not see anything.

The SC8WP is fairly slender; 38mmW x 58mmL, or 1-1/2 x 2-1/4". The stock SC700BL ESC is 42mmW x 46mmL. I don't have an SC10 sitting here to check it, but looking at the specs and chassis pics, I should think the SC8WP would fit just fine.

The 550SL and SC8WP are certainly overkill for a 2WD SCT, but you'll only be adding a couple ounces over stock equipment, and the performance & durability improvement will be nothing short of drastic. I run that exact combo in one of mine, an E-converted blue chassis RC10GT gone desert buggy. My biggest problem has been smoking the 3/16x3/8" wheel bearings and keeping tires glued to wheels. I smoked the plastic diff gear on day one trying to push the thing with a 28T pinion to a 54T spur with 1/8 scale tires (didn't get radar on it, but guessing we hit somewhere around 80 MPH on 3S), but it has been trouble free with the Thorp steel & alloy gears.

231aaa59-1394-4321-bb1f-3bc145470478_zpsf3762dfe.jpg

I might just pull the trigger on that. But I do not want to be destroying anything. You said you had trouble with keeping tires glued, do you think I will have any problems with beadlocks?

Depends how hard you push it. If you gear it moderately and run on 2S, you'll have absolutely no trouble and probably won't even see 120* motor temps. But gear it high like I did and hammer it with 3S, you'll start breaking stuff. Remember, with the kind of torque a 4 pole brushless makes, when you gear them taller, you're actually stressing everything more, not just the motor. Everything is loaded faster and harder.

Your stock motor was the Reedy 540SL 3,300 KV; If I were you, on 2S, I'd gear that 550SL 3,500 KV just a little higher (like 2 more pinion teeth) and see how you like it. In my buggy pictured above (dubbed "the Warthog"), even when I dropped my pinion down to 14T (a 10.2 final ratio), that motor still throws it around like a rag doll on 3S.

Honestly, though, you might leave the motor alone and just try that ESC first. The HW puts out a lot more power than the Turnigy. In my case, the SC8WP was pitted against the Turnigy Trackstar 120A WP in my 8.4 pound 1/8 buggy to SCT conversion with a 2100 KV 42mm 1/8 can. It was more than a night and day difference; running the same motor and gearing, the HW ESC gave faster acceleration and higher top speed on 3S than the Turnigy could muster on 4S.

Back