Building a kit RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSide

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey!

I currently have 2 Arrma RTR. A Granite Mega for my son and a Kraton 6S for me. I am in the process of upgrading the hell out of the Kraton (waiting for a bunch of M2C parts) and the Granite is being upgraded as it breaks. I am only a few months into the RC hobby, but I find that I enjoy wrenching on RC more than driving them...so I am thinking I should consider buying a nice kit. I am not in a hurry, but I'd like to make my mind up about this.

Since I already have 2 Monster trucks in the house (both currently non-functional...waiting for parts), I was thinking about a 4x4 off-road buggy or truggy...but maybe a SCT or a crawler could be interesting as well? I am thinking about 1/10 size. It would need to be somewhat robust, as I intend to use it off-road for light bashing (no big jump crazyness). I am not interested in racing and hyper adjustability. I am more of a set and forget...then repair as it breaks type of guy. However, I highly appreciate high quality parts using nice materials and having tight manufacturing tolerances.

I'd appreciate any input and recommendations on kits to consider and kits to avoid. I am not really looking into headaches and kits that requires modifications so that parts can fit (not sure if there are kits like that). You can assume I know how to tear down and re-assemble every parts of my Kraton 6S.

For no real good reasons (body shapes maybe), I like the Team Associated and Tekno buggies, but my knowledge is very limited besides Arrma RTR stuff. I am in Canada, so I'd really prefer something with part support in my country. I guess the 1st step would be to ask my LHS what parts they can get. AFAIK, they seem to mainly offer RTR stuff. I'll ask them...

Also, please tell me if you think sticking with Arrma RTR and upgrade them as I like makes more sense for me. I just think the satisfaction of building a kit is different than upgrading an RTR.

Let me know if you have recommendations or comments on any of that. Thanks!

Hang in there and do your research and await opinions before making the final decision. Kits, to a lot of us, are the best part of this hobby. The joy of the build plus your understanding of how everything works makes maintenance really easy down the road. You already know that part support and upgrades are VERY important to anything you get, so wait for a few opinions and keep us updated.
Welcome to RC Talk.

@FlipSide since you have the kraton 6S and looking for an kit to build, take a look @ Mugen. I don't remember where to find it but, on Arrma forum, there's a posting about using Mugen diff gear set in Arrmas 6s differentials.
Other words, my suggestion is to ge a kit (if possible) where parts would be interchangeable.

I got back into RC with a 8ight-T Nitro RTR, converted that into a 8T 4.0. Recently got a 8ight-X Elite kit because I know some parts are iterchangeable between the 8T and 8X...

I also would also look into what parts your local hobby shop carries. Where I currently live, I only have one hobby shop that's 45- an hr away that touches nitro...

If you still can't decide then, @Rolex I would follow his advice...

I quite enjoy the building and tinkering too. Love driving them around but I keep finding the urge to strip mine down and rebuild them just to re-familiarise myself with everything!

Want to get my GF's younger sis a starter truck, and tempted to get the Stampede kit and build it with her.

Thanks!

As I said, I am not in a hurry. I am mainly looking to make up my mind about this so that the thinking and researching will already be done when I am ready to pull the trigger. I can be patient and this is usually how I do things. I try not to be too impulsive with my purchases.

If I understand this correctly, Tekno recently released a new 1/8 buggy platform (EB48 2.0), but the matching truggy is not out yet. I am thinking this may be a very interesting kit for me...so I’ll definitely be waiting for this.

Another option for me would be to build from scratch a truggified Typhon 6S from an M2C Typhon chassis, Mojave arms and tires, M2C and GKA parts all-around and Arrma drivetrain. This would be a fun build that would result in an awesome car. The clear advantage of this project would be to end up with very good parts compatibility with my Kraton. On the other hand, I’d probably be missing out on the whole high-end build kit experience. I’ll keep thinking about it.

Again, any input is appreciated.