Buggy/Truggy conversion ideas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supersavage

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all! I acquired a Hot Bodies Lightning buggy from Jon2 in a trade a couple years ago with the intention of converting it to a truggy. Well, the time has come to build a truck for the wife and at the same time give me a project to get thru the winter. It is a boxful of parts, good and bad, but as far as I can tell, enough to be a complete roller. I have enough misc. radio gear and such, but need input on what makes a truggy other than just bigger tires. I am planning on this being a low budget project as I am not starting off with anything spectacular. I don't mind fabbing parts or changing things around, just need to know what to beef up, modify or all together get rid of. I don't envision a high powered racer, just want to build up a durable daily driver that isn't going to cost a fortune. I hate to ask this as there are always a lot of unknowns, but I need to find a motor/pipe combo for this project also. I don't want a racing motor, just something with enough power for this rig thats easy to tune, holds a tune, and fairly trouble free. I'm new to the world of center differentials, so hit me with your knowledge "oh great ones" (and not so great ones, too)!

Well I have a Lightning 2 buggy and it has been really solid so far. Mine is still bone stock because I am waiting on something to break before I replace stuff. I beat it up like a monster truck and no breaks. I think that platform if you just went with some wider tires you would be good to go. Look up the instruction book online and have a blast. Mine is pretty fun.

Are wider tires about all the difference there is between a buggy and truggy? I've never ran buggies so it's hard for me to tell. Am I correct in assuming the drive lines and related gear will hold up to the bigger tires under normal use?

The A-arms on truggies are a bit longer too. A buggy is normally a narrower more nimble beast. I am not sure if there are any truggy arms that will fit it to give it the wider stance. You could use the proline axle extenders to give it the clearance room for bigger tires.