Power Wheels Conversion for a N00b

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reanimationed

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I've got myself an electric power wheels that I have converted to use a 24V Kobalt drill battery. It occurred to me that making it RC might be even more fun than trying to ride around on it like some sort of Buffoon. I've had lots of RC cars, but not done a lot of building on them. Looking to see if I could get some suggestions on the best way to go about this.
My current thoughts are:
1) Tear out old Control box.
2) Find/wire in 24v reversible Speed controller. Recommendations?
3) Get pistol grip radio and receiver - are the cheap ones on Amazon good enough?
4) Figure out how to get the 24V motor/speed control system and whatever voltage the receiver needs to be on to co exist within the circuit. LM2596 work for this?
5) Find a servo that will allow proportional control of the front end steering. The car is equipped with an electric steering motor so that a person could buy the aftermarket Radio controller and harness, but those things are TERRIBLE and I doubt that the motor can be made to behave like a servo with the return to center behavior.

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sam

gutsView.jpeg

fullView.jpeg

Does the steering motor also have any sort of position sensor, like a potentiometer that's plugged in to a control board for the steering motor and is turned by the movement of the steering arm?

If so, you might be in luck; I am working on driving a brushed motor + potentiometer from a 3-wire servo board right now, as it happens - I have not been able to test the steering servo in a car yet, but results look promising: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/2wd-mod-brushed-mr-03-mini-z-build.139580/#post-1398000

I'm pretty sure I've seen it done before. A couple of FB groups out there that would probably have all the info you need

This subject is interesting.

I have a similar power wheel that I'm in the middle of converting to a 'car hauler' of sorts. It came from the factory with a transmitter for parental control . Top speed at 24 volts is faster than I walk. The steering isn't proportional but for my purpose, I don't need it to be. Seems strong enough. Works great to bring 4 or 5 cars at a time to the 'playgrounds'.

Back