Bubba02STi’s Traxxas Rally

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have the rally, but it's pretty similar to the slash 4x4 which is similar to the stampede 4x4, which I do have.

If your running 2S, that center diff will probably be ok. But, if you up it to 3S, it won't last very long. I just put a center diff in my stampede 4x4 (running the castle sct sv3/3800kv system) and with the plastic cup center diff, it warped and chewed the spur gear within 8 minutes of my first run. I had run the center diff before, but was only running 2S at the time and it held up ok. It just killed my wheelies. Now with 3S... I need less wheelies. lol!

Anyway, I upgraded my center diff with the fast lane machine alloy cup. Seems to be hold up ok now. I had 200k in it, but needed to go a bit heavier, ordered 300k, but didn't wait for it to show up and removed some of the 200k to add some 500k. Figure I should be in the ballpark of 300k now.

Also, if you end up on 3S, you will probably need to upgrade the outer cvd's. I had a hard time keeping the sliders from wearing out on 2S with my stampede and I went with MIP's last year, but your running smaller/lighter tires, so probably less abusive to the axles.

Also, those ultra shocks are known for blowing the caps. Many replace those with some cheap alloy caps. My wife just got me the GTR's for the stampede, they are a lot beefier in general. I also put VG springs on those along with the variable damping kit after drilling out the piston holes to 1/16 and am running 70wt oil in them. So far, so good.

Would like to see some footage of that motor/esc running. I'm 99% sure sure mine is going to have heat issues in the summer. All last year, I ran the sctsv3/3800 in it, but only on 2S. I just started running 3S in November and it's only been 35F-45F outside. I'm thinking I'll need to at least find a lower kv motor to lessen the load on the esc some. I was looking at the arrma 3200kv, which I think is a hobbywing.

I don't have the rally, but it's pretty similar to the slash 4x4 which is similar to the stampede 4x4, which I do have.

If your running 2S, that center diff will probably be ok. But, if you up it to 3S, it won't last very long. I just put a center diff in my stampede 4x4 (running the castle sct sv3/3800kv system) and with the plastic cup center diff, it warped and chewed the spur gear within 8 minutes of my first run. I had run the center diff before, but was only running 2S at the time and it held up ok. It just killed my wheelies. Now with 3S... I need less wheelies. lol!

Anyway, I upgraded my center diff with the fast lane machine alloy cup. Seems to be hold up ok now. I had 200k in it, but needed to go a bit heavier, ordered 300k, but didn't wait for it to show up and removed some of the 200k to add some 500k. Figure I should be in the ballpark of 300k now.

Also, if you end up on 3S, you will probably need to upgrade the outer cvd's. I had a hard time keeping the sliders from wearing out on 2S with my stampede and I went with MIP's last year, but your running smaller/lighter tires, so probably less abusive to the axles.

Also, those ultra shocks are known for blowing the caps. Many replace those with some cheap alloy caps. My wife just got me the GTR's for the stampede, they are a lot beefier in general. I also put VG springs on those along with the variable damping kit after drilling out the piston holes to 1/16 and am running 70wt oil in them. So far, so good.

Would like to see some footage of that motor/esc running. I'm 99% sure sure mine is going to have heat issues in the summer. All last year, I ran the sctsv3/3800 in it, but only on 2S. I just started running 3S in November and it's only been 35F-45F outside. I'm thinking I'll need to at least find a lower kv motor to lessen the load on the esc some. I was looking at the arrma 3200kv, which I think is a hobbywing.

I’ve ran a 3s pack through it already. I’m already aware of the issue with the center diff and 3s Power. Curious to hear more about how you set yours up with the metal cap. I really don’t want to go with the revo slipper clutch set up. Trying to keep the realism handling. Keeping my options open though. I put some green slime on the caps to hopefully help with the caps and rings on them. I already don’t plan on keeping them for anything other than spares though. So far temps seem to be ok with it. We will see when summer comes though. I’ve only had this car for a month so everything else I plan on doing will come along soon. I’ll get a video posted soon of the car running. I just have any good ones of this as I keep on upgrading it.

I have the FLM center diff case, stock internals, 54T spur:
2019-0103-Stampede-CenterDiffFLM02.jpg

2019-0103-Stampede-CenterDiffFLM01.jpg

I ran it pretty hard after upgrading the diff case/cup/whateverit'scalled on 3S. I made some 7200mah 3S packs out of old 7200 SMC 2S packs I had. I got roughly 28 minutes of pretty solid running time. I ran it for 3 packs worth since the diff case install, all in the same day. My only issue was that the Tekno center bone cup on the center diff came loose on me twice. After I got home, I took the diff out, changed the oil a bit, then used red locktite on the center cup screw.

I like the tekno bone a lot better. Seems more solid and doesn't flop around as much. Also ran more smoothly and was quieter. Was a nice upgrade. I blew a stock tube out on 2S late last year. The tekno bone was a recent upgrade.

This was the last run of the day:

I've since changed the ball ends on the front shocks so they are 3mm or so longer, which raised the front of the truck considerably. Should help with the nose smacking the face of the jumps as I hit them and with landings as now the arm as able to travel almost from full extension and bottom out on the chassis before the shocks bottom out still. Also changed the center diff oil to be heavier. And the fore mentioned red locktite.

That entire days worth of bashing was after quite a few things that I was trying out the first time:
GTR shocks (vdk drilled 1/16"/70wt)
VG springs
Tekno Center Bone
FLM cup with 200K
New front/rear diffs with 50K
7200mah 3S SMC pack

My wife got me the shocks/center shaft for Christmas.

It all worked out pretty well for a first go with all those changes. A little heavier center diff oil, extending the front shocks, red locktite. Will see how it does next. The VG springs may be too soft for what I do with it, but we will see.

Last edited:
So it looks like I won’t be able to use the control arms. The RPM A Arms I received will not fit the Fiesta ST. Kind of bummed. RPM has it noted on their website. AMain does not. I guess I need to get arms for the Telluride and it doesn’t look like RPM makes them.

I did get the carriers installed and the car is back to running again. So that’s a plus.

a3bcbd2d2a6e7aec9ebdd674f8591ad7.jpg

e710704311c90df8af22f7648d69d3d3.jpg

So now I’m on the hunt for some A Arms for the telluride. Probably going to have to go with aluminum.

Tonight’s goodies to install

fe0dcde8a8634877cfbfdedf1f997982.jpg

Not much to show other than the front knuckles and camber links. You can kind of see the sway bar.

44556570a4f203c14560092c55f519c3.jpg

Also a quick clip of the speed. Sorry it’s dark out. I’ll try and get a day time run here soon.

Instagram: shortbusadventureteam

Last edited:
Was finally able to properly test this thing out without breaking something. I wanna note that the Traxxas Slash and standard Rally control arms and camber links will NOT work on the Rally Fiesta. RPM doesn’t have an A arm kit for it either. If looking for an upgrade for the A arms search for the Telluride. The camber links and arms are direct swap. I went with Traxxas aluminum camber links 36mm and 39mm for front and rear. You will need longer bolts over factory.

Very happy with the way it has turned out. 3S almost seems to be too much for the car but it is too much fun. A little dialing in of the suspension and it should be good to go. Still going to do the GTR shocks upgrade but for right now these are doing great. Plus I want to figure out spring options for those. Just need to watch the spend and throttle when turning.

117a1e71dd55e0ae7bcc00dcc934c9e1.jpg

Next upgrades:
Telluride aluminum control arms
Aluminum body posts
GTR Shocks.

Instagram: shortbusadventureteam

Back