Brushless motors and brake effects?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdjizm

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, new to brushless (nitro still rules btw) :)
I've just finished my LX2E roller.
I've gotten to 99mph I can get two solid runs before the motor heats up to 150+ wondering if hitting the brakes are hurting me.

Since I am slamming my brakes at the end of the run, is this doing any kind of damage or creating more heat than just coasting for a bit then easing on to the brakes?

The brakes are set to 50%, I have the 25% option as well but I have yet to try it. The car stops great just wondering what the effects of brakes are on the brushless motors.

My setup:
EZRUN 150a (timing 7.5, punch 5)
Leopard 2150kv 4074 motor.
Two 3s Turnigy nanotech 65c 5000mah batteries
Gearing 26/40 with 99mm grp rally tires.

I'm a brushless noob but not a stranger to speeeeeeed :hehe:
2mxgwn5.png

Last edited:
Well then, lol I will continue to google my brains out.

When I run my slash on speed runs and I am constantly full throttle and then full brakes I heat up pretty quick, instead of holding the breaks down I feather them to put less of a load on the motor and it helped some by about 10degrees, but then agian I am only running about 50mph not 99mph. I don't imagine it is really bad for the motor but you are putting a lot load on the motor to bring it to a stop, I just do a smooth feather on and off the brakes, lather rinse repeat until I get slow enough to apply full pressure constant (usually 2 or 3 cycles of braking).

Last edited:
Braking will heat up the motor but I dont really know how much heat it is going to add in your setup. I would do like jburke said and just feather the brakes down to a decent speed or even better if you have the room just let it coast down to a decent speed then slam on the brakes.

Thanks for the reply guys I was thinking it would be a good idea NOT to slam the brakes like I do in my nitro cars.
I will cost for a little bit then slowly apply them.

There is also a drag brake function on most ESCs that will apply some breaking force when the throttle is released. This is what I use on my brushless rigs.

Can u disable the brake on the electric motors and use a servo and disc brake setuP ?

---------- Post added at 8:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:12 AM ----------

I don't know too much about the electric stuff

^ i'm not sure where that would fit but I think it's possible.
Wouldn't drag brake heat the motor up while dragging from speeds to stops?

It's s light amount of heat. It's really no worse than feathering the brake. I use no more than about 30% except on my crawlers.

I hardly use any brake on my race vehicles, just enough to slow it down for the corners. The brakes also use that battery, so your c-rating should be a factor in how effective the brakes are.

For doing speed runs in my rustler I set the drag brake to 43% and the brakes to 80%. When I'm done with my run I let the drag brake bring me from 100+ down to the 50-60MPH range before using actual brakes. As to how much heat this adds to your motor I can't say for certain but when braking from high speeds its important so the car doesn't go spinning/flipping out of control. Your motor is going to get really hot really quick doing speed runs especially if your are running a motor that isnt very energy efficient like most of the budget motors are. This shouldnt be a big concern though when I see my motor temps on my Rusting getting up to the 150-160 range I shut it down and leave the fan running on it for about 15 minutes or so until its nice and cool again and then go for another set of runs.

As for disk brakes if it was a nitro converted to electric you can certainly keep the manual disk brakes if you wanted to.

Back