Brushless combos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do that, this is the one i would go with: https://www.amazon.com/Xiangtat-HOBBYWING-3652SL-3300KV-Brushless/dp/B07NRYQKTZ/ref=sr_1_47?dchild=1&keywords=Max+10+ESC&linkCode=ll2&linkId=7f0b15675a08c78a459f17731f93aafe&qid=1635666414&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-47&th=1 I looked but didnt see one with a 3500KV motor, so, you will have to do some searching to see what pinion and spur combo to use that wont overheat the motor.
I can only find 3300KV, 4000KV and 5400KV. Think the way the car gets used around here i'd rather gear it a bit lower anyways. How waterproof are em things tho?

Isnt lower KV more torque?
Yes it is which for a 4WD SCT is what you're gonna want. Something around 3200kv is a good place to start. If your going to go into the 3500-4000kv range make sure the motor is 4 pole and preferably a 3660 can size. For example if it were me Idk prolly go with the MAX10/Ezrun G2 3660SL 3200KV but if you're gonna go with the MAX10/4000kv variant make sure and get the 3660 motor and not the 3652 can size.

Yes, but, also less speed, which then turns into wanting more speed, but gearing for more speed overheats the motor. Torque is great for crawlers and monster trucks, not SCT's and buggies.
Higher KV is going to add heat to a motor faster than gearing will.

How waterproof are em things tho?
Not very

Yes it is which for a 4WD SCT is what you're gonna want. Something around 3200kv is a good place to start. If your going to go into the 3500-4000kv range make sure the motor is 4 pole and preferably a 3660 can size. For example if it were me Idk prolly go with the MAX10/Ezrun G2 3660SL 3200KV but if you're gonna go with the MAX10/4000kv variant make sure and get the 3660 motor and not the 3652 can size.

Higher KV is going to add heat to a motor faster than gearing will.

Not very
I can only find this https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...r-combo-3300kv-hwa38010203/p-xthxsejq4tqbg4yz

Thought about going HW Max 10 with 4000KV.
That would be a good choice. But over your 100. I found a whole bunch of set ups. But over the 100.. if you can go over or save a little more. The HW max10. Or the castle sidewinder would be the better choice better programming then the castle. Also HW uses rubber seals in their motors which add resistance to the power to the motor. Castle uses metal seals in their motor better power transfer.. it all comes down to what you want and what you want to or can spend...but your original 100 limits you to your options you can pick from to be honest.

That would be a good choice. But over your 100. I found a whole bunch of set ups. But over the 100.. if you can go over or save a little more. The HW max10. Or the castle sidewinder would be the better choice better programming then the castle. Also HW uses rubber seals in their motors which add resistance to the power to the motor. Castle uses metal seals in their motor better power transfer.. it all comes down to what you want and what you want to or can spend...but your original 100 limits you to your options you can pick from to be honest.
I can get HW MAX10 3300 or 4000KV for about 120USD locally (5USD for delivery, or possibly local pickup for free) which would save the 20 or more for shipping out of the country. But unfortunately that's where the list pretty much starts and ends... nothing really under that price available. And 90% of combos are in the US which is $30 for shipping. Wouln't castle's metal seals keep like nothing out?

I always forget the 3660 part. I'm so used to ordering the exact same motors for my stuff, i dont even look at the specs. I use 3650/3652 3300KV for buggies, 3660 3500KV for 2WD SCT's, and 3660 3800KV for 4WD SCT's and MT's. I actually just had to look up the specs for the motors i buy. This is what i use for all my 2WD SCT's: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-10BL60-...pid=5336785883&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Wouln't castle's metal seals keep like nothing out?
Why would you think that?. It's designed the same ... maybe not water. But shouldn't be in that much water where it would matter.. Not sure what you could get inside a motor can anyway. Besides dust maybe they are sealed up pretty tight to begin with. It's just the bearing the shaft inside the can spins in...
I can get HW MAX10 3300 or 4000KV for about 120USD locally (5USD for delivery, or possibly local pickup for free) which would save the 20 or more for shipping out of the country. But unfortunately that's where the list pretty much starts and ends... nothing really under that price available. And 90% of combos are in the US which is $30 for shipping. Wouln't castle's metal seals keep like nothing out?
Did you see the set up that bigman100 posted up look at that one it's under 100.. the problem is your over seas. Which stinks for shipping and parts RC isn't that big over seas. As much as it is here in the states.. and the whole shipping process these days is really horrible and out of control... but one would think shipping from China would be faster for you being closer and not have to Ship over seas from them to you.. sorry man we are haven problem with getting stuff as well. Do you have any local hobby shops near you sometimes it's faster and easier to have then order stuff. And then just pick it up form them..sometimes
Did you scroll to the bottom of that link? It has 4 other combos from 3200kv - 5000kv. All about $104. Just asking wasn't sure just saw you said could only find the one

Last edited:
Why would you think that?. It's designed the same ... maybe not water. But shouldn't be in that much water where it would matter.. Not sure what you could get inside a motor can anyway. Besides dust maybe they are sealed up pretty tight to begin with. It's just the bearing the shaft inside the can spins in...
Castle motors are pretty good at keeping water out, even after being submerged, as long as you arent doing it all the time, and you dry them out with air as soon as your done. I have a castle 1410 3800KV from a Sidewinder SCT combo that has been submerged a few times, and in 2 years, i have had no issues with it, except for it being way too much motor for a 2WD SCT.
You can find both the HobbyWing 10BL60 ESC: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002635067969.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.392f7956NlGU69&algo_pvid=440b7633-5f18-4d50-9f20-c4742a0ec570&algo_exp_id=440b7633-5f18-4d50-9f20-c4742a0ec570-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000021496604312"} and the Max10: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001329236932.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.f87f61fbwnZYxA&algo_pvid=1029b9ac-0eb6-49b1-8a3a-ca3f7edccb2b&algo_exp_id=1029b9ac-0eb6-49b1-8a3a-ca3f7edccb2b-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000021214537326"} on AliExpress, then just pair it with a motor from there. Here is a 3660 3300KV that is waterproof: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001763965495.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.54253af8rd1CIn&algo_pvid=b41b3224-75e4-4bef-8a36-0a6f30a24d7d&algo_exp_id=b41b3224-75e4-4bef-8a36-0a6f30a24d7d-15&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000017471992104"}

EDIT: Here is a MAX10/3660 3200KV combo: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...2b-1&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000023904397502"} but i didnt check the prices.

Last edited:
Castle motors are pretty good at keeping water out, even after being submerged, as long as you arent doing it all the time, and you dry them out with air as soon as your done. I have a castle 1410 3800KV from a Sidewinder SCT combo that has been submerged a few times, and in 2 years, i have had no issues with it, except for it being way too much motor for a 2WD SCT.
Yea, I wasn't 100% sure about that.. good to know they can be submerged 100%. That's a plus.. I don't ever run in water that deep. Well I run in snow all the time.. Well until I get the trx-4 in a month or so..😉 yea the OP dude was thinking it be better to have the rubber seals over the metal. And that the rubber would keep more out. Then the metal seals.. which I personally don't think there's a difference besides the resistance of the electricity because of the rubber.. which isn't much but its still present over he metal ones... which allows better flow of power

Yea, I wasn't 100% sure about that.. good to know they can be submerged 100%. That's a plus.. I don't ever run in water that deep. Well I run in snow all the time.. Well until I get the trx-4 in a month or so..😉 yea the OP dude was thinking it be better to have the rubber seals over the metal. And that the rubber would keep more out. Then the metal seals.. which I personally don't think there's a difference besides the resistance of the electricity because of the rubber.. which isn't much but its still present over he metal ones... which allows better flow of power
I am very brutal with my stuff, and have submerged an Arrma Granite with both a Castle motor, and a DHK Hobby Wolf 2, with various BL motors (it currently has a GoolRC 3660 3800KV in it) in water almost above the body, and, so far, in 3 years of running stuff that way, have destroyed 2 motors from water (both were cheap, supposedly waterproof stuff i got from AliExpress). But, i also take my stuff apart after running it like that, clean everything, and dry it out. I used to not do that, and completely ruined a couple different vehicles. My favorite time to run is in the spring when the snow is melted but not all gone, because the snow makes awesome jumps, especially if there is a puddle to land in. The Granite and Redcat Blackout make the best cannon ball splashes, because of the weight. One thing doing that taught me is what works, and what doesn't.
One thing i dont think was mentioned. Make sure to check for motor shaft size. I learned the hard way, especially with the cheaper motors, some come with a 3MM shaft, and some have a 5MM shaft. For the Slash, with stock gearing, i think you need a motor with a 3MM shaft.

I am very brutal with my stuff, and have submerged an Arrma Granite with both a Castle motor, and a DHK Hobby Wolf 2, with various BL motors (it currently has a GoolRC 3660 3800KV in it) in water almost above the body, and, so far, in 3 years of running stuff that way, have destroyed 2 motors from water (both were cheap, supposedly waterproof stuff i got from AliExpress). But, i also take my stuff apart after running it like that, clean everything, and dry it out. I used to not do that, and completely ruined a couple different vehicles. My favorite time to run is in the spring when the snow is melted but not all gone, because the snow makes awesome jumps, especially if there is a puddle to land in. The Granite and Redcat Blackout make the best cannon ball splashes, because of the weight. One thing doing that taught me is what works, and what doesn't.

One thing i dont think was mentioned. Make sure to check for motor shaft size. I learned the hard way, especially with the cheaper motors, some come with a 3MM shaft, and some have a 5MM shaft. For the Slash, with stock gearing, i think you need a motor with a 3MM shaft.
No the slash 4x4 motor shaft is 5mm. I think the 3mm went out a while ago NO? I could be wrong. But the slash gears are 5mm 100%

No the slash 4x4 motor shaft is 5mm. I think the 3mm went out a while ago NO? I could be wrong. But the slash gears are 5mm 100%
The stock brushed motor is 3mm shaft and has 9T pinion on it.

Did you see the set up that bigman100 posted up look at that one it's under 100.. the problem is your over seas. Which stinks for shipping and parts RC isn't that big over seas. As much as it is here in the states.. and the whole shipping process these days is really horrible and out of control... but one would think shipping from China would be faster for you being closer and not have to Ship over seas from them to you.. sorry man we are haven problem with getting stuff as well. Do you have any local hobby shops near you sometimes it's faster and easier to have then order stuff. And then just pick it up form them..sometimes

Did you scroll to the bottom of that link? It has 4 other combos from 3200kv - 5000kv. All about $104. Just asking wasn't sure just saw you said could only find the one
Shipping from China is not faster, never been. Theres a few hobby shops around, but they sell what they sell and not order stuff for you I do belive. I can get this https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...r-combo-3300kv-hwa38010203/p-xthxsejq4tqbg4yz exact one locally. Getting ESC and motor separately could be an option, but haven't looked into that yet.

Wait a minute what slash do you have. The vxl

Shipping from China is not faster, never been. Theres a few hobby shops around, but they sell what they sell and not order stuff for you I do belive. I can get this https://www.hobbytown.com/hobbywing...r-combo-3300kv-hwa38010203/p-xthxsejq4tqbg4yz exact one locally. Getting ESC and motor separately could be an option, but haven't looked into that yet.
Getting them separate probably won't be cheaper though. Cheaper as a combo. Unless you can get deals on each
Oooooo you have a brushed motor. Now it makes sense. I'm not sure the gearing with the brushed motor will hold up the the power and tourqe of the BL system bud. Usually they are different gears for the two styles

I was talking about the BL motors he is looking at. They come in both 3MM and 5MM. I have 3660 motors with both size shafts. If his Slash has 3MM stock, then he will either need a BL motor with a 3MM shaft, or a set of 5MM pinions that match the Slash's gear pitch.

I was talking about the BL motors he is looking at. They come in both 3MM and 5MM. I have 3660 motors with both size shafts. If his Slash has 3MM stock, then he will either need a BL motor with a 3MM shaft, or a set of 5MM pinions that match the Slash's gear pitch.
He just said he's running a dam brushed motor. Did you see or read that one. I've thought he had the BL motor. I'm trying to confirm. Yeah the 3mm is brushed. The VXL brushless is 5mm. Unless the older BL motors are 3mm as well. Then hmm interesting 🤔

He just said he's running a dam brushed motor. Did you see or read that one. I've thought he had the BL motor. I'm trying to confirm. Yeah the 3mm is brushed. The VXL brushless is 5mm. Unless the older BL motors are 3mm as well. Then hmm interesting 🤔
I figured it wasn't BL by some of the comments. As for the motor's, he was talking about the ones in the combo he was looking at, not stock Traxxas stuff.
I'm located in Estonia, Europe and finding things that arent shipped from China is proven very difficult (everything from China takes months to arrive.. if it ever comes). And I only need motor and esc, I think...had issues with steering last time but this time it worked fine so I'm not sure.

Also what about Racestar?
Have you tried Clay Pit RC? They are in Estonia. Heres one of their combos: https://www.claypitrc.eu/en/a/hobby...m-voll-kombo-1-10-sct-monster-buggy-veekindel That motor has a 5MM shaft though, so you would need pinions that match the Slash's gear pitch that are for a 5MM shaft motor.

Last edited:
figured it wasn't BL by some of the comments. As for the motor's, he was talking about the ones in the combo he was looking at, not stock Traxxas stuff.
Yeah he's not looking at traxxas stuff. He was looking at the Goolrc stuff at first

Back