Brushless combos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured it wasn't BL by some of the comments. As for the motor's, he was talking about the ones in the combo he was looking at, not stock Traxxas stuff.

Have you tried Clay Pit RC? They are in Estonia. Heres one of their combos: https://www.claypitrc.eu/en/a/hobby...m-voll-kombo-1-10-sct-monster-buggy-veekindel That motor has a 5MM shaft though, so you would need pinions that match the Slash's gear pitch that are for a 5MM shaft motor.
Bit out of the price range tho sadly 🙁 And the pinion is a 9 tooth, it probably way to small for brushless anyways and finding pinions for 3MM shaft isn't the easiest to do.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It appears to be using a 0.8 metric pitch, compatible with 32P. MAX10 3652SL 3300KV uses 3.175mm shaft, but there is a HW 3mm to 5mm adapter. What kind of pinion would it need with 54T spur?
Since its a Traxxas, I'm not sure. According to them though, the VXL has a 13T pinion, and can be ran with up to a 19T for more speed. According to the Traxxas forum, for the brushed version, there are a few things it will need before going brushless, like bearings in the hubs, and a metal gear diff.

Since its a Traxxas, I'm not sure. According to them though, the VXL has a 13T pinion, and can be ran with up to a 19T for more speed. According to the Traxxas forum, for the brushed version, there are a few things it will need before going brushless, like bearings in the hubs, and a metal gear diff.
Diffs have metal gears, theres bearings everywhere already. The only things that could break with the extra power are the driveshafts, which are plastic. If the VXL has a 13T pinion its gotta have a different spur gear.

I have a buddy who uses a CoolRC ESC motor combo on a Slash 2wd. It works for him. It's not really fast but he hasn't had any issues. I have heard of a lot of others who praise it and just as many warning people to stay away. It doesn't very many adjustments, which is one reason it sells much cheaper than a Hobbywing. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it and how much you are willing to spend on it.

I have a buddy who uses a CoolRC ESC motor combo on a Slash 2wd. It works for him. It's not really fast but he hasn't had any issues. I have heard of a lot of others who praise it and just as many warning people to stay away. It doesn't very many adjustments, which is one reason it sells much cheaper than a Hobbywing. It all depends on what you plan on doing with it and how much you are willing to spend on it.
Also seen some people saying CoolRC is good, others saying its bad
How much worse is a decent brushed setup compared to brushless?

There are pros and cons to a brushed and brushless system. the biggest difference is:

Brushed:
  • Cheaper
  • smoother power at low speeds. Great for rock crawling.
Brushless:
  • Longer run times.
  • motor lasts a heck of a long time. people get years of life on one motor.
  • more consistent power.
  • no frequent servicing required.
On that note, the Hobbywing WP 1060 brushed ESC is a pretty good one. I had one of those in a Slash 2wd for a while before I bumped it to brushless. You can put some pretty fast motors on it as well.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-quicrun-1060-1-10-brushed-esc-hwa30120201/p-qtavtqrqtb2xactz?msclkid=00f50e8528551fcf8bb06f05189366dc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Shopping PLA - INSTOCK -Desktop - Brand&utm_term=4585513247924927&utm_content=Cars & Trucks

https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-radon-2-3slot-brushed-motor-15t-asc27425/p-qqzwtztqbmzxactz

What I might do is to run a brushed system for a month or 3 till I can get a brushless setup. We got some money problems atm sadly :(

What I might do is to run a brushed system for a month or 3 till I can get a brushless setup. We got some money problems atm sadly :(
You can stay with the brushless for quite some time. Are you running lipo batteries?

You can stay with the brushless for quite some time. Are you running lipo batteries?
Wanna run it on 3s without blowing the brushes across the yard, and the xl-5 wont handle 3s, so ill probably go for that 1060 esc.

Diffs have metal gears, theres bearings everywhere already. The only things that could break with the extra power are the driveshafts, which are plastic. If the VXL has a 13T pinion its gotta have a different spur gear.
Why does it have to have a different spur? You can run different size pinions on the same spur gear. Going through the Traxxas site, and the assembly diagrams for the 4X4, 4X4 VXL, and 4X4 Ultimate versions, they all use the exact same 50T, 52T or 54T, and they seem to be the only spur they even offer for the 1/10TH Slash.

Why does it have to have a different spur? You can run different size pinions on the same spur gear. Going through the Traxxas site, and the assembly diagrams for the 4X4, 4X4 VXL, and 4X4 Ultimate versions, they all use the exact same 50T, 52T or 54T, and they seem to be the only spur they even offer for the 1/10TH Slash.
The traxxas spurs are only 50T - 54T in the 1/10th scale RC's. It doesn't need a different spur. You know this. Changing the gears up or down will only give more low end or high end. It doesn't need to be changed because someone changes motors or from brush to brushless.. not sure what he means 🤔
Will probably blow the traxxas motor up first :D
Here this might help you out. It's little thing you can do to the slash. To get it more speed.. with out spending alotnof money.👍👍

Are Robitronic Razer brushless motor combos any good?

Are Robitronic Razer brushless motor combos any good?
The X10 is ok for on road cars, and light off road 2WD buggies, but are way to light for a 4WD SCT. You might be OK with an X8 4 or 4.5, but, they might be too big for the Slash chassis, since they are more for 1/8TH scale stuff. When looking for motors, KV isnt the only thing you have to cosnider. Motor size also plays a part in it, and, if you look at the X10, they are a 3652, which is too light for a 4WD anything, except maybe a buggy. I have a 3652 in a 2WD SCT, and the only way to get any real speed out of it, it has to have a large pinion, which just then caused the motor to run hot. For a 4WD Slash, you need to stick with a 3650 in 3300-3500KV, or a 3660 in 3500-3800KV. Take a look at the different 4WD SCT's (Traxxas, Losi, Team Associated, Tekno, for example), and see what they are running stock for brushless, and use that as a starting point.

Back