Brushless combos?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used them but I put a cheap brushless system I bought from Amazon and put it in my wife's 2wd Stampede. No issues with it and we have ran it for several years now.

Have you guys ever heard/ used GoolRC motors/ESCs like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/154233346634?hash=item23e9061a4a:g:Xr4AAOSwy8VfzyyL ? If so were they any good?
Know of any other brushless systems that are on the cheap side for a Slash 4x4?
I haven't used any of the Goolrc products. If your only looking for a esc/motor combo. I would go hobbywing or castle. You can get rebranded one of both for cheap.. everywhere is haven sales. The HW and castles are about 100 - 130 right now and rebrands are from 60- to 100 dollars rite now.. that servo really isn't that good either. Steering servo you would want to look for 30kg and over. The 20kg is on the weaker/slow side... where are you located in the states or over seas in the UK or else where?? There's alot better options for cheap then that set up bud.. IMHO.

I'm located in Estonia, Europe and finding things that arent shipped from China is proven very difficult (everything from China takes months to arrive.. if it ever comes). And I only need motor and esc, I think...had issues with steering last time but this time it worked fine so I'm not sure.

Also what about Racestar?

I've never used them but I put a cheap brushless system I bought from Amazon and put it in my wife's 2wd Stampede. No issues with it and we have ran it for several years now.
Morning sir!! You remember what combo set up. I'm thinking of putting a brushless set up in my Kyosho pro X.. on the fence as I'm not to sure about the trans holding up. To the power/tourqe of the brushless. Its got a BS kyosho electronic esc and brushed motor. Witch I put in over a yr ago. It's just the kyosho starter kit they make. With the controller esc motor and servo
I'm located in Estonia, Europe and finding things that arent shipped from China is proven very difficult (everything from China takes months to arrive.. if it ever comes). And I only need motor and esc, I think...had issues with steering last time but this time it worked fine so I'm not sure.
Are the traxxas stock electronics still in it? What type of issues with the steering. Is the linkage all good straight no kinks or hang ups?? What are you looking for more speed power tourqe. Or just a better set up then the traxxas electronics. Because honestly traxxas electronics suck.🤣🤣 not to be mean I have a few traxxas vehicles and all the electronics were swapped out for better more efficient equipment...

Morning sir!! You remember what combo set up. I'm thinking of putting a brushless set up in my Kyosho pro X.. on the fence as I'm not to sure about the trans holding up. To the power/tourqe of the brushless. Its got a BS kyosho electronic esc and brushed motor. Witch I put in over a yr ago. It's just the kyosho starter kit they make. With the controller esc motor and servo

Are the traxxas stock electronics still in it? What type of issues with the steering. Is the linkage all good straight no kinks or hang ups?? What are you looking for more speed power tourqe. Or just a better set up then the traxxas electronics. Because honestly traxxas electronics suck.🤣🤣 not to be mean I have a few traxxas vehicles and all the electronics were swapped out for better more efficient equipment...
I sure don't bro, it is unmarked and several years ago.

Yes, the stock electronics are still in it but the exchanging works only in US. Who doesn't want more speed and power? :D It only wanted to steer one way and not the other, not sure maybe a rock or something got in the linkage somewhere or it got a bit wet

I sure don't bro, it is unmarked and several years ago.
Oh ok so probably a HW or castle rebrand.. for 7yrs it's got to be a decent set up for sure...👍👍
Yes, the stock electronics are still in it but the exchanging works only in US. Who doesn't want more speed and power? :D It only wanted to steer one way and not the other, not sure maybe a rock or something got in the linkage somewhere or it got a bit wet
Well getting linkage wet wouldn't do that. Maybe if water got in the servo it self.. but that servo won't last long if giving problems now.. the stock servos are all plastic gears. So it's only a matter of time before it goes out completely.. if looking into newer esc motor might as well get better strong servo also in my opinion. Give me a couple minutes will find a couple options whats your budget if you don't mind me asking. All in servo and the esc/motor combo. Or just for the combo at this point.. Will do my best for ya bud.. just don't want you to spend $$ on something that won't last long period... alot of good rebrands for cheap that will be much better then the traxxas electronics....👍👍 2s or 3s you running or what to run?

Last edited:
Oh ok so probably a HW or castle rebrand.. for 7yrs it's got to be a decent set up for sure...👍👍

Well getting linkage wet wouldn't do that. Maybe if water got in the servo it self.. but that servo won't last long if giving problems now.. the stock servos are all plastic gears. So it's only a matter of time before it goes out completely.. if looking into newer esc motor might as well get better strong servo also in my opinion. Give me a couple minutes will find a couple options whats your budget if you don't mind me asking. All in servo and the esc/motor combo. Or just for the combo at this point.. Will do my best for ya bud.. just don't want you to spend $$ on something that won't last long period... alot of good rebrands for cheap that will be much better then the traxxas electronics....👍👍 2s or 3s you running or what to run?
3s and the 8.4v nimh pack. Under $100. Traxxas said the servo is waterproof so they better not be lying 😡 Would like the servo to be a bit faster, but I can live with it till it dies.

Have you guys ever heard/ used GoolRC motors/ESCs like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/154233346634?hash=item23e9061a4a:g:Xr4AAOSwy8VfzyyL ? If so were they any good?

Also what about Racestar?
Both brands are garbage imo. Racestar even more so than GoolRC

Several, not seven but could be close to that. It is so cheapy, the motor is wired direct to the esc.

3s and the 8.4v nimh pack. Under $100. Traxxas said the servo is waterproof so they better not be lying 😡 Would like the servo to be a bit faster, but I can live with it till it dies.
Ok so I've been looking and looking. Castle has the best set up specifically made for SCT. Which the slash 4x4 is. If possible to save a little more 20 - 40 dollars. Castle sidewinder sct esc 3800kv combo would be ideal. Look into rebrand waterproof esc brushless combos. There's alkt of them. Just stay away from Goolrc ,Racestar and there's a couple more can't think of. Found these on ebay over here. But look them up over on your side of the pond.. servo look on Amazon has some good cheap servos, Zoskay, Annie's, not sure of this one Feetech. Give them a look for servos. Got two of the Zoskay 35kg $32. Works great in my 1/10 nitro..
There's a rebrand king in here surprised he hasn't chimed in yet. Biggman100 could definitely give you a few others for sure. But take a look for those combos over there they are 100 and below. So hope it points you in a good direction bud. Got any questions let us know. And let us know what you decide and go with happy bashing and racing bud 👍👍

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-10BL60-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-10BL60-...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-R...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Ok so I've been looking and looking. Castle has the best set up specifically made for SCT. Which the slash 4x4 is. If possible to save a little more 20 - 40 dollars. Castle sidewinder sct esc 3800kv combo would be ideal. Look into rebrand waterproof esc brushless combos. There's alkt of them. Just stay away from Goolrc ,Racestar and there's a couple more can't think of. Found these on ebay over here. But look them up over on your side of the pond.. servo look on Amazon has some good cheap servos, Zoskay, Annie's, not sure of this one Feetech. Give them a look for servos. Got two of the Zoskay 35kg $32. Works great in my 1/10 nitro..
There's a rebrand king in here surprised he hasn't chimed in yet. Biggman100 could definitely give you a few others for sure. But take a look for those combos over there they are 100 and below. So hope it points you in a good direction bud. Got any questions let us know. And let us know what you decide and go with happy bashing and racing bud 👍👍

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spektrum-R...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Quick question tho does it have to be for 1/10 or will something like 1/18 scale work too?

Quick question tho does it have to be for 1/10 or will something like 1/18 scale work too?
I will agree with everyones opinion of GoolRC, with one difference. Their motors are pretty decent, but, their ESC's are absolute garbage. When i first started going BL about 4 years or so ago, i used a bunch of different cheap brands (GoolRC, Surpass Hobby, HobbyPark), and, i still have most of the motors that came in the combo's, but, all of the ESC's, some which died within a few days or a couple weeks, have all been replaced with HW stuff. 1/18TH would be way too small and weak. For the Slash 4X4, its better to stick with 1/10TH or 1/8TH scale stuff.

I will agree with everyones opinion of GoolRC, with one difference. Their motors are pretty decent, but, their ESC's are absolute garbage. When i first started going BL about 4 years or so ago, i used a bunch of different cheap brands (GoolRC, Surpass Hobby, HobbyPark), and, i still have most of the motors that came in the combo's, but, all of the ESC's, some which died within a few days or a couple weeks, have all been replaced with HW stuff. 1/18TH would be way too small and weak. For the Slash 4X4, its better to stick with 1/10TH or 1/8TH scale stuff.
Figured so, thanks.

For his truck, i would avoid the Spektrum combo. 3300KV is better suited for 2WD SCT's and light buggies, and is a bit weak for a 4WD. It will work for awhile, but will wear out quicker than the other two. Typically, for 4WD SCT's, i tend to stick with 3500KV, but, when i was researching BL, most said go with a 3800KV for better gearing options and less heat and wear.

For his truck, i would avoid the Spektrum combo. 3300KV is better suited for 2WD SCT's and light buggies, and is a bit weak for a 4WD. It will work for awhile, but will wear out quicker than the other two. Typically, for 4WD SCT's, i tend to stick with 3500KV, but, when i was researching BL, most said go with a 3800KV for better gearing options and less heat and wear.
Isnt lower KV more torque?

Hi,
I don't know "GoolRC", but a 60A ESC with 4300kv and a big pinion in 3s... Full throttle...? Hummm. The ESC could struggle rapidly... Motor bearings quality to check too...
I would go for lower kv. Most of the guys at the track are using 3200-3300 kv in SCT. My son has a chinese Surpass 3200kv motor in his buggy and still work well. He has a lot of speed with a 22t pinion.
Otherwise, a basic HW Max 10 Combo is still not bad for a Slash;

IMG_3242.JPG

Last edited:
Back