Brushed Motor Break-In

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got my Brushed 3903 E-Maxx and I was wondering if I should perform any special break in procedures on the twin 550 motors.

I always use the water break in method.

Well I broke in my twin 550 motors today and they work great but they are a little slow to my liking. I would like to upgrade to brushless and run a pair of lipos but i dont want to lose the waterproof quality's of the brushed motor and esc. Is there any where i can get a waterproof brushless system or a pair of high performance brushed motors? :\

Look at the Traxxas Trade-up Program. They offer their Velinion systems for upgrades at a reasonable fee. Unfortunately for the Maxx and Revo, they have just one optional upgrade but what an upgrade: the Castle Creations Mamba Monster Max!

Kershaw design's has 700 H.O. brushed motors that will rip in your emaxx and cheap. It will be water proof to. You can run it with the stock evx2 ESC. you can run 2-2s lipo's on it to

How come? I run 2-2s 6500 max amps lipos and 2-5800 2s turnigy lipo's in my emaxx with the Evx2.

You can run Lipo but the problem is you don't have a Lipo cut-off on that ESC unless they have upgraded them now. I know with my 16.8v E-Maxx I had to run and external cut-off or Lipo alarm to let me know when the batteries were down.

Thats a good point, i didnt even consider using a external lipo cutoff!

I got 2- 2s buzzer alarm's that work pretty good you just got to listen for them and keep track of how long you been running.

honestly, all my electrics are lipo, and none of them have cutoffs, just run it untill you see a decrease in power and stop immediately. if you do that, your not gonna have a problem.

honestly, all my electrics are lipo, and none of them have cutoffs, just run it untill you see a decrease in power and stop immediately. if you do that, your not gonna have a problem.

Unfortunately, by doing this you are inviting trouble. You can still over-discharge the batteries and damage them and this could lead to a total meltdown of your rig. DON'T Do IT!

The way i do it, i get a single c cell battery, directly wire the motor to it, while the motor is submurged in a bowl of water. I run it for 5 minutes, and stop it for 5 until the battery is dead and wont turn the motor any more.

I have heard of that method and did something kinda like it back in the day (late 80s). We had a bench with a small prop driven by a belt and a cheap radio shack power supply and we would kind do the same thing but for a longer runtime. We would do around 15-20 minutes depending and every couple minutes or so blow out the motor with compressed air. Alpines method the water will keep all the dust down, cools the motor and cleans real good. Probably a better idea than mine was if the motor can be put under water.

I dont see a problem with putting any brushed motor in the water. It helps wash away any impurities on the brushes, and allows them to find their groove on the shaft with no worries of heat, and allows them to break in evenly.