traxxas rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob green

RC Newbie
Reaction score
i just got a used rustler with a titan 12t 550 motor. what battery/charger do i need? its a blue case marked traxxas xl5 esc if that helps

Last edited:
I would prefer to use a 2s LiPo

Any cheap amazon pack like
Hoovo, Zeee, gensacearespammers, CHNL, Ovonic, SMC, Liperior should be decent

2s Lipo meaning 2 cells in the battery (7.4v)
I would go around 5000 - 7000 mah to have run time. I used 5200mah 2s lipos when I still had the brushed system in mine.
I would get a battery with a TRX, TR, or Traxxas plug/connector so its a direct replacement and will work with the esc (if it has a traxxas plug on it)

Now for chargers, any cheaper chargers can work. Just get the appropriate charge leads.

SkyRC T200, HiTec X2, Hota D6 Pro, gensacearespammers D300.
Most use XT60s as an input, some use 4mm bullet.

I use the T200 charger my self, I use XT60 to 4mm bullet, and 4mm bullet to traxxas for my batteries.

I could just simply say go with Traxxas stuff, but no, those are junk / overpriced and not really needed, and some of the features aren't that helpful.

You could also use NiMH packs (nickel metel hydride) but I prefer LiPos as they are more efficient, more powerful, and last A LOT longer than nimh packs in the long run. If you take care of your lipos, you won't have an issue.

Please take good photos of the electronics. I'm no expert on Traxxas but, some of the early ESC's weren't Lipo compatible. You may HAVE to use NiMH batteries. Others willl have better knowledge.

Please take good photos of the electronics. I'm no expert on Traxxas but, some of the early ESC's weren't Lipo compatible. You may HAVE to use NiMH batteries. Others willl have better knowledge.
Oh yea, forgot about that

I only know about the newer traxxas electronics

The modern blue case XL5 esc is nimh and lipo compatible (with low voltage cutoff) and waterproof
The older Yellow case XL5 esc is not waterproof, don't know about lipo capability. - most likely can do 2s lipo, but might not have low voltage cutoff.
The Blue XL5 with a heatsink is 3s LiPo capable (XL5 HV)
@Chubaka would probably know.

Last edited:
External voltage alarm.

Oh yea, forgot about that

I only know about the newer traxxas electronics

The modern blue case XL5 esc is nimh and lipo compatible (with low voltage cutoff) and waterproof
The older Yellow case XL5 esc is not waterproof, don't know about lipo capability. - most likely can do 2s lipo, but might not have low voltage cutoff.
The Blue XL5 with a heatsink is 3s LiPo capable (XL5 HV)
@Chubaka would probably know.
External voltage alarm.
its a blue case traxxas xl5 if that helps

You'll need a 2s lipo around 5000-5200 MAH with a TRX connector. Hoovo off amazon or ebay would be my recommendation. As far as a charger as long as it come with correct connector and has a balance port, most any will do.

Last edited:
Id recommend the HOTA D6Pro charger to start with and Id recommend Liperior, Liperior pro, CNHL G+ Series, Turnigy, or zippy compact brand lipos.

Back