BRAND NEW summit has problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtboogie

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got my mini summit from Tower today. charged up the batteries hooked them up to the truck using the parrallel connector for longer run time. Took it outside just putted around at half throttle for a while. Then decided to start doing some full throttle action and after about 2 minutes it seemed like the truck was jumping out of gear when i would do a sharp turn in loose gravel you know just kind of whipping the rear end around quick and sliding to a stop having fun. Well then about a minute later the truck wouldn't do anything. Thought it might have went into thermal protection mode because the motor was hot. Turned the esc off. Didn't have a temp gun on me so I'm not exsact on the temp, however I did install a heatsink that sits on top of the motor. Took the heat sink off thinking that buying the cheap 7 dollar one from The Toyz.com actually was a bad idea and some how didn't let the motor breathe. Turned the esc back on and only half power, actually not even it maybe has 25% power if that. Also seems to bog when starting from a stop. I would call it like a chugg. lol not sure how to explain it. When the tires are off the ground its fine. But sitting on the ground it has the bogging/chugging problem from a startand like I said pretty much goes like 4 mph. Not sure what to do but this is a brand new truck. Thinking maybe the slipper was too tight from the factory and went bad or something is wrong in the tranny. Like I said only had maybe5 minutes of run time and I also checked the batteries and they were not even 25% run down. I'm brand new to these electrics. Please give any advise that you guys can, but I'm considering just sending it back to tower because I'm not sure what to do.

Truck is brushless sorry about that. And I have no idea how to post a video on hear. Sending multimedia text with a video on a phone is about all I know how to do with a video I have taken.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFudpqSzN_Q"]E-Revo 1/16 vxl ESC Problem - YouTube[/ame]

This is not my video but this is somewhat what my truck is doing except it dosn't completely stop responding like this guys but thats how much power i get at full throttle. And the weird jerking when applying the throttle is what mine is doing when on the ground. I see a lot of people on you tube saying its the esc that causes this problem, and that the esc's in these models are no good. However I haven't seen anyone on here saying that so I'm not sure how accurate the esc statements are. I did have the parallel connector hooked up for extended run time and I was in loose gravel kickin donuts and spinning the tires but no the much I spent more time doing speed runs but was not running the truck for more than 5-7 minutes over all before it completely quit doing anything and then when I turned it off and then back on it started with the jerking and very minimum power. the esc and motor were hot but not enough to burn me at all. The light on the esc are not blinking or faded.

What type and cell count batteries are you using? Have checked your gear mesh?

Using the traxxas series 1 1200 mah 6 cells that came with the truck. And I checked the mesh with the strip of paper test and it seems fine.

Yup, I went to a different hobby shop today than I have been going to to ask them what they thought was going on. I chose to go to the different shop than the one that is closer to me because the closer shop has gave me nothing but headaches with my t maxx. I have had it there 3 times for various repairs because I work a lot and just don't have the time to learn how to tare the rig down and rebuild it. Well I had to wait over 2 months to get my truck back BOTH of its first 2 visits, and over 4 months the third time. That's 8 months of in the shop and I got the truck last november, and I have spent almost 300 dollars just in labor for those 3 visits. I am actually looking for someone on this site that lives in the Houston area who wold be willing to get my rig up and going while I'm still working a lot and don't have the time to tare it apart as I only have time on Sunday afternoons to even run it at this time, and I don't mind paying for good work being done. I know it sounds bad because when you get into this hobby you need to learn to work on your rig to be able to stay in the hobby, but at this time the bills just have me needing to work 6 to 7 days a week. That's just the way it is.

Anyways back to what the other shop has said. The guy there told me it is definitely a problem with the esc. He said this year they have had quite a few of the 1/16 brushless traxxas be brand new and have a bad capacitor that goes out withing the first 5 minutes of run time.They told me to call traxxas, so I did and now I'm filling out forms and getting ready to send it out tomorrow. Now I guess i will just have to wait and I have seen people say its taken over a month to get their rigs back from Traxxas so I'm not to happy with Traxxas at all at this point, but what can I do.

Also didn't realize that fed ex was so expensive. I live in Houston so the package is going across the state to Plano but they still want 22 bucks for standard shipping I'm thinking its because they ask the value of the contents being shipped and I entered in 300.00 but I'm not sure so I guess I'm sending my package flat rate with the post office.

Last edited:
Mine goes into thermal protection quite a bit but its definately motor temp doing it. As I've said in other posts on loose surfaces mine will go into thermal on a single traxxas nimh. it will go into thermal even faster running dual nimh in series and a single lipo

So is pavement the only place to run a Lipo or two Nimh in series without going into protection mode every minute?

2revo, Sorry by being a noob, but are you talking about a lipo or what ?

ok, thanks for the info I'm hoping they repair it correctly and I can run my lipos in it because if the Nimh killed the esc I can only imagine how fast it would have happend if I were using my lipo. I see a lot of people who have had to send the mini's in for 3 to 4 new ESC's because they fry in these rigs. If mine fries again I will probably just upgrade to the castle sidewinder sv2 ESC so I dont have to deal with the headache anymore. I just don't understand why it seems like half the mini owners say their vehicles have been tanks straight from the box and that they bash the hell out of them and than the other half of the owners of these vehicles have had nothing but problems with them.

A brushless rig needs X amount of amp hours available to it at all times. Chances are your battery didn't have it. With the correct lipo your most likely chance of frying the esc is by over-gearing.