Can someone help with my Clodbuster electrical probs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyT61

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm building a 4wd 4ws truck based on a Clodbuster. I'm using all new hardware starting with a Super Clod Gray Edition. I'm using the kit supplied ESC which is a THW-880-Dual-RTR. The ESC, the gearboxes with motors, the tires and the body are the only kit parts I'm using. I purchased a Spektrum SLT3 3 channel transmitter with a Spektrum SR315 receiver. I'm using Arch Fabrication front and rear steering servo mounts. I have a y cable from the servos to the receiver. I have linked the transmitter to the receiver and it does steer both axles. However it crab steers. I figure I need to reverse the direction of one servo so I bought a cable for that. Now my problem is the motors do not run. When I turn on the ESC it flashes red and it beeps. When I pull the trigger on the transmitter no leds come on the ESC and no motors running. As I said, everything is new. I built a Clodbuster 20 years ago and I just hooked up everything, charged the battery and drove it. Still do in fact. Any help is sure appreciated.

red led flashing usually means low battery ...Id unplug servos and start here after you charge battery.On my 4 ds clods I ran a ubec and just disconnected the esc red wire.
heres 1

Attachments

• clod 2.jpg
    clod 2.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 29
I'm using all new parts. The charger shows the battery is fully charged. According to the manual for the ESC, The led goes out when the throttle is off. It's supposed to flash when moving forward then stay lit at full throttle. I don't have that. Just flashes then beeps when I turn on the ESC. I pull the trigger and nothing happens.

whatever. leave all as is. back track what did you do then it started to blink

When I turn on the on/off switch for the ESC, the led flashes twice and beeps twice at the same time. The led then goes out. I turn on the transmitter, the light comes on the receiver, I pull the trigger on the transmitter and nothing happens. The receiver light stays lit, but no led on the ESC. I must be getting some signal to the receiver cause the steering servos move with the steering wheel. Move the trigger forward or reverse and nothing happens.

I tried that as well. Powered off everything. Turned on the transmitter, switched on the ESC. Same as before. Receiver light came on, ESC led flashed twice, beeped twice. Steers but no motors.

I tried that as well. Powered off everything. Turned on the transmitter, switched on the ESC. Same as before. Receiver light came on, ESC led flashed twice, beeped twice. Steers but no motors.
Motor wire or connections between the motor and ESC?

I followed the Tamiya instructions. Front motor is plugged into M1 leads on the ESC. Rear motor is plugged into M2. Yellow to yellow and green to blue. All 4 plugs are pushed in tight.

I gots no idea. Is this brushed or brushless? If brushed, motor might be bad/burnt up. solder points on the motor might be bad / make it have a bad connection.
I'm running out of ideas.

These are 540 brushed motors new out of the box. The solder at the wire connections looks fine. The plugs at the end look fine. I think my problem is I'm not getting the signal from the Transmitter/Receiver to the ESC. That said, I just plain don't know. I must be getting power to the receiver cause the steering servos work.

Have you tried recalibrating the ESC? Id try that first and then if that doesn't work, Id start replacing parts one piece at a time until you figure out which part is acting up and then either get it warranty replaced or start troubleshooting that specific part.

Thanks guys. I'll try the recalibration. I was hoping to avoid any warranty calls.

I think the 880 auto calibrates, no setup button. Try reversing TH direction on your radio but first make sure the TH trim is at zero!

The ESC should beep beep for 2s and then a long beep to indicate it's arm3d.

Thank you nino. I think you are correct about the 880. I'll try your radio suggestion.

Back