Bought a 3d printer and I guess what i really wanted was a milling machine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidtwist

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hey guys i bought an amazon 3d printer to make parts. But after educating myself on gcode i think id rather have a cnc mill or manual milling machine. Convince me differently. Not looking to get into another hobby just make parts.

3d Printers have their place but like Chewy said, mill and a lathe and you can make just about anything.

For the builds I have seen of yours, I would think a small CNC mill would be better for the parts you want to make. The thing about 3d printers though is you can make things a CNC mill cannot make.

When 3d printers came about, people started to see their potential because of that. But 3d printed parts have to be designed in a specific way to make them strong, and printed in an orientation to complement that design. Especially mechanical parts. It is afterall plastic, and they have the added potential to be weak due to the layers separating, which is not an issue with injection molded stuff.

I would love to have a CNC mill. If I had one, you'd see some pretty crazy builds and custom mods. But since I live in an apartment and that is not an option, I have to stick to additive manufacturing. That being said... making this roll cage would be "nearly" impossible for a typical 3-axis CNC mill. But the 3d printer made it a piece of cake.
20230204_071056.jpg

Bridgeport is what you want.I have a 6 in 1 machine purchased 20 + years ago.lathe.drill press.bridgeport.so on

Yeah i knew jerked and got this
Check this out!
https://a.co/d/dWri6N0

Amazon charged 219$. Yeah for me that roll cage id bend out of brass and solder. Or have an excuse the get a mini welder. I def see your points. Learned most of that last night when youtubeing “slicer” and “gcode” files. Cnc would be fun but i code for a living. I'm fine with knobs for fun. Yeah i have a lofty goal. Turn an scx24 into scale 1/25 gm 2wd chassis so i can mount revell and amt bodies on them maybe even diecast. And with that weight aluminum or brass would be cake compares to skin and internal lattice and sagging. Will thro 3d printer ok CL or ebay.

I love CNC mills shoot one I use to work with my buddies cost him almost 100k with Cad I used it few times with him on real builds. Wish I had that kinda money.

Yeah i knew jerked and got this
Check this out!
https://a.co/d/dWri6N0

Amazon charged 219$. Yeah for me that roll cage id bend out of brass and solder. Or have an excuse the get a mini welder. I def see your points. Learned most of that last night when youtubeing “slicer” and “gcode” files. Cnc would be fun but i code for a living. I'm fine with knobs for fun. Yeah i have a lofty goal. Turn an scx24 into scale 1/25 gm 2wd chassis so i can mount revell and amt bodies on them maybe even diecast. And with that weight aluminum or brass would be cake compares to skin and internal lattice and sagging. Will thro 3d printer ok CL or ebay.
The AMT bodies can be made to fit the SCX24 just fine. You may need to alter the link lengths front or rear to get the wheelbase to match, but with SCX24's, there are a variety of different length links for them since they have a few different models. Here is the AMT Coca Cola van sitting on a Deadbolt chassis...
20220404_172641.jpg

By the way, there are a lot of 3d printed parts in this build too.

Nah i want 2wd with indepentant front suspension. Motor between a arms and long driveshaft. And narrowed or mini-z crawler rear axle. I mean i have an amt two door jeep on a shortened scx24 chassis. But i want to make like a speedway chassis for muscle car. Scale and metal. Rc. Using possbly some scx24 or miniz crawler axles and components thinking this for andrive train. Maybe print a shell of a motor tranny to fit it. Whatbid really like to do is make a reproducible kit with adjustable wheel base so you could put any 1/25/1/24 model even diecast on it and rc

188F9C8F-F952-4627-9C22-B00F28A4ED39.png

547118E6-3B9E-4FE3-B182-1C955A67DA4C.jpeg

D61C5BB8-4C00-4F1E-9F4D-79B76A7EB057.jpeg

A48E03BA-7ECF-4CD8-8080-49134244FD2F.jpeg

I just love the “scale” frame rail and straight axles of crawlers and hate the “toy” look of onroad rc/dragster. I wanna see framerails and driveshafts like real cars. Even if they gotta be slower
Gonna try a “z” type rat rod chassis and a arm front end

Attachments

• 3E052897-13C0-4AA2-BC1C-7A40BABBA04C.jpeg
    3E052897-13C0-4AA2-BC1C-7A40BABBA04C.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 34
Then you want to look at Furitek for the gearbox and motor. I mean, there are others out there, but if you're wanting speed, Furitek will have something that will fit the bill. They specialize in small scale motors and gearboxes. Those geared motors you posted are way too slow for what you want to do.

I want that ugly van you know this..

I have the lizard pro? In two scx24s. And got the 12/2 overdrive gears and a min-z crawler axle coming. But yeah furitek makes some sick stuff. I been out a couple of years. Is mamba dead?
I got bluetooth and brushless on a 1/24 scale. And a friggin wireless cam?! Back in the day i was happy if it was radioshack and didnt turn left when backing up.

I have the lizard pro? In two scx24s. And got the 12/2 overdrive gears and a min-z crawler axle coming. But yeah furitek makes some sick stuff. I been out a couple of years. Is mamba dead?
I got bluetooth and brushless on a 1/24 scale. And a friggin wireless cam?! Back in the day i was happy if it was radioshack and didnt turn left when backing up.
I am not sure whst you mean by Mamba, unless you are referring to Castle electronics, which are still being made.

But if you haven't looked at Furitek for a couple years, you should really go browse around there. Furitek has come out with a LOT of really cool small scale stuff lately.

Yeah meant cast creations. Sorry. Mamba was a series. And yeah when looking for brushless for scx24 that outrunner eac mounting plate they sell is killer. I only heard of them recently. Any recommendations on other brushless options. I tries an aftermarket brushed and kinda not impressed but $129 is pricy when ya already have two running

If you want go different level do your research and design plan I have many others I can show even a real pedal car/drag car with shifter cart tub rear on custom suspension. Rat rod poop

AC4AC966-2FBC-4369-B3FE-2BAAB4FD11B1.jpeg

3EE151CD-FACB-47D3-8113-AC6CA7D72F81.jpeg

9B901701-2BD9-4126-A387-81CC3EA8075B.jpeg

Yeah meant cast creations. Sorry. Mamba was a series. And yeah when looking for brushless for scx24 that outrunner eac mounting plate they sell is killer. I only heard of them recently. Any recommendations on other brushless options. I tries an aftermarket brushed and kinda not impressed but $129 is pricy when ya already have two running
Surpass Hobbies have some small scale brushed motors, but I am not sure if they have anything for speed in small scale. I wouldn't personally look at anything other that Furitek or Castle.

Castle is way to go electric in my opinion. They have good programming and nice setups.

Castle is way to go electric in my opinion. They have good programming and nice setups.
They do, but Furitek is the chit for small scale stuff. They have power systems for everything from drifters, to monster trucks, to crawlers, and they do it very well. Castle has the Micro Mamba, which would probably be good here, but you would have to find a trsnsmission and make it work. Furitek has all that covered already, and in quality faahion to boot.

Never messed with them and you knowing what you know good advice.

What you want is a 3d printer, cnc mill, and a lathe. 🙃

What parts are you making?
YESS!! This!! each has its forte' but with those 3 pieces of machinery you can pretty much build anything you can imagine that will fit on the machinery.. Back when I was machining my cars on my mill I bought my first printer to only make wheels for my cars.. cut to a few years later and the only things machined on one of my cars is the motor plate,LOL

Back