Beware Ace Hardware Hobbies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryhton

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
This is a post to make people aware of the way Ace Hardware Hobbies does business, you can make up your own mind on if you wish to deal with them or not (I am in the not column). So here it goes, on 5/02/04 I went to there web site and ordered an Ofna roller, all went well and the order was placed. On 5/03/04 I go back to the web site to check on order status and it says it will ship the next day (tuesday), this is good because I wanted it for the weekend. I check status again on Tues late evening and it says shipping Tues but they are not listing a tracking #. Now it is Wed and I check again and still no tracking # listed so I call Ace Hardware Hobbies and talk to Kevin he tells me that they had just gotten a bunch of buggies in and mine was with them and would go out for sure on Wed and I should still have it for the weekend. Thurs comes around and I recheck status and still no tracking # so I send email to get tracking #. Friday now tracking # so I call Ace Hardware Hobbies again and talk to Kevin about were my stuff is, he tells me it never shipped!!! So I sit there in shock because this clown had told me it was shipping days ago. So to make things worse he tells me it is still at Ofna and they were going to drop ship it to me (he told me Wed he had it in hand). So needless to say I never got it for the weekend, and to make it worse this roller was for a good buddy of mine.
They are trying to blame Ofna for the problem, but if they had not being lieing thru the whole deal and let me know they didn't have one this would not have happend. If they don't have it in stock they should let you know instead of lieing to people, after all I had to pay up front. So I cancelled the order and thanked them for screwing up the weekend (if they would have let me now they didn't have it I would have gotten it else were).

So beware when you order from these guys, I am not the only one to have to go thru this, so post your thoughts and your experiences.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks for warning me about them.I have ordered from towwer way more than once and have got it on the day they said every time.Good place to do bisness with.

Yes Tower rocks, but I was trying to support more than one but when they start jerking you around and lying to you what do ya do. I will stick with Tower and Crispy from now on.

Last edited:
ACE

I was devastated by this transaction I've been bumming since last weekends (sunday break in) when Rhyton had told me not to worry about it he would get something going for this weekend i was pretty darn excited for him to go out of his way to try to make this happen for me, and to have these yahoo's screw up like this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth so to sum it up the have lost 2 pretty good customers. Thanx and Have A Nice Day:depress:

dude it happened to me!!!!!

i ordered a power panel, and backplate for my buggy, they said it should ship out soon

its sitting at OFNA!!!!!!!!!!! I was furious!

i delt with them because there the only ones who took paypal.. ugh but o well i can still run my buggy =D so w/e

but still the problem pissed me off.

ryhton here is mine.and this is what i have bought from them.
a ofna pcr buggy ordered it on a friday so monday comes around and i call kevin he says it shipped i ask for a tracking #. he says he is busy and will email it to me ok . wensday comes around figuring ill have my buggy :w00t: not..so i call keven again ask him for a tracking # he tells me to call him back in 5 miniuts.so i call him back and he gives me the fedex tracking# so i go to fedex punch in the # nothing there more lies..i did get my buggy on saterday but it was sent out 2nd day air...why did he have to lie about it?? 2nd purchas was an ofna 086 pipe well thats what i should have gotten it was a 063 pipe in a 086 box.. so i call keven.he tells me he will ship out a new one to me..so i wait no pipe so once again i call kevin. he says i got shipped to the wrong person. so after 5 weeks i get the right pipe..all in all i have recived my things from them late i mite add and being lied to the hole time about it.... so after a buying my ws711 that went well.
iam done with ace hobbies.
money spent there pcr 500$ pipe 80$ ws711,300$=880 bones..
they will not get any more of my money....

Oddly, I ordered a Venom Speed Meter and an Ofna Micro Failsafe from them about a month ago and everything went fine. Smooth with no hitches. Sent my stuff USPS and I got it like 3 days later. Maybe it's just a matter of what stuff you're buying and whether he has it in the shop or is waiting on it from the manufacturer. Dunno. My luck was good....

Yes I have had stuff come on time I got 2 WS7 11 a couple weeks ago. But the point is more that they are selling things that they do not have in stock (Ofna buggies) and letting people think that they do have them. When you call Kevin to find out what is happening he won't be straight with you and when he finally does have to give you an answer he blames Ofna. So if they were straight up people won't get pissed and will keep dealing with them. But if they are going to deal this way they need to now that people will talk. Thanks for your reply Candyman we do need both sides to this so people can make there own informed dessision.

I ordered 6 RB glow plugs from them. I never recieved the shipment, so I called and spoke to someone who worked there. They apologized greatly and sent out another set of glow plugs, this time insured and registered. I got the second set just fine.

I think they are great to do business with. Anytime someone ATTEMPTS to correct a wrong, they are good in my book. You dont know for sure what happened with the buggy. For all you know, he might have thought your buggy was in that shipment, and didnt check the stock numbers before relaying this information to you.

Patience is a virtue, and when you live where I do, waiting 7 days to get something is normal. You need to let them do their job, you are NOT their only customer. I say this because I can imagine that dealing with you calling daily was probably not an enjoyment for them. If they had blown you off, and never attempted to do anything about it, then yes I believe you have room to bash them... but not for this.

My opinion of course, dont start slamming me for stating it, but I think you need to give them the benefit of the doubt. You could always get a refund and order from somewhere else. I'm sure Tower takes money orders or something, but then you are looking at more time spent.

Either way, too much rambling ... :banana:

well nitro keebler you have missed what this thread is all about.we are not saying that they are rip offs. we are saying that they are lyers.plaine an simple.they say that they have something and it will be shipped that day it better be shipped that day not latter on that week or the next week.are you starting to see the jist of this yet...and of corse you have to wait a week to get your stuff your in belgim sorry about the spelling).but this place is with in 500 miles of me.so usps,ups,fedex,should be on my door step in 2 to 3 days...
when they say it has been shipped and it hasn't that a lie and i hate liers................

I had placed an order fro the Mugen MTX-3 and Ofna fail safe. About a week goes by and I cal them and they said that Mugen is going to drop ship it. Fine I get it a week later. Then the fails safe story was that they had sent it Postal and they returned it. Not once but twice! They re-send it with Delivery Confirmation and finally after 2 months I get the damn thing!

Nitro_Keebler the point here is simple, when I checked there website it said it had shipped on the Tuesday, when I called on Wed they said it hadn't shipped but he had it in front of him and it would go out that day, when I called Friday after no email responces for a tracking # he told me that it was at Ofna and had to be drop shipped, are you seeing the problem yet? So in my book he was LYING to me, and I will not do business with people that treat me that way. So patience is a virtue does not apply here because it is not about waiting its about being lied to. If they had let me know that I could not get it from them I would have ordered it from Nitro House or Tower Hobbies and had it in a couple of days, thats the advantage of living on this side of the pond we don't need to wait weeks to get our orders.

In responce to this comment:

I ordered 6 RB glow plugs from them. I never recieved the shipment, so I called and spoke to someone who worked there. They apologized greatly and sent out another set of glow plugs, this time insured and registered. I got the second set just fine.

Are you sure they were even sent the first time or were they just lying to you? Something to think about.

Originally posted by Ryhton
Nitro_Keebler the point here is simple, when I checked there website it said it had shipped on the Tuesday, when I called on Wed they said it hadn't shipped but he had it in front of him and it would go out that day, when I called Friday after no email responces for a tracking # he told me that it was at Ofna and had to be drop shipped, are you seeing the problem yet? So in my book he was LYING to me, and I will not do business with people that treat me that way. So patience is a virtue does not apply here because it is not about waiting its about being lied to. If they had let me know that I could not get it from them I would have ordered it from Nitro House or Tower Hobbies and had it in a couple of days, thats the advantage of living on this side of the pond we don't need to wait weeks to get our orders.

In responce to this comment:

Are you sure they were even sent the first time or were they just lying to you? Something to think about.

The thought crossed my mind that they never sent the first shipment, but I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

With all these other bad experiences emerging concerning them, it looks quite possible that they never did ship anything.

Guess its a place I should take off my list. I'm very limited out here in my choices, where I can order from and all that.

Hey Zandor
iam done with ace hobbies.

Are we talking about the same place? You said Ace Hobbies, and we are talking about Ace HARDWARE Hobbies... 2 totally different vendors.

http://www.acehobby.com/acehobby/
http://www.acehardwarehobbies.com

Not to take away from your comment towards me, but I dont appreciate you telling me I dont comprehend what is written. I am fully aware of what I read, and what I write.

Nitro_Keebler

If you feel comfortable buying from Ace Hardware Hobbies or don't mind the wait then by all means use then.

The earlier comment was not to insult you but just to keep the thread on track that Ace Hardware Hobbies has some honesty issues and I want people to be aware.

Originally posted by Ryhton
Nitro_Keebler

If you feel comfortable buying from Ace Hardware Hobbies or don't mind the wait then by all means use then.

The earlier comment was not to insult you but just to keep the thread on track that Ace Hardware Hobbies has some honesty issues and I want people to be aware.

Understandable and point taken. Its hard on forums to properly inflect meaning behind words.

Either way, lets all just look out for each other and continue to have fun :) :fro:

Originally posted by Nitro_Keebler

Understandable and point taken. Its hard on forums to properly inflect meaning behind words.

Either way, lets all just look out for each other and continue to have fun :) :fro:
this is what we all want peace on the net. and not getting screwed in the long run. piece:fro:

Originally posted by Nitro_Keebler

That is it exactly let people now and then they can make there own decisions on what to do. :dance: :dance:

As already stated, these posts are allowed for the reason of letting people know what has taken place and let the rest decide from there.

I will however say this in regards to ANY online retailer, especially in R.C. (as I am in the process of building my own R.C. online store). If an online shop sets up with a manufacturer to DROP SHIP items as they process orders, you then rely on the manufacturer to communicate STOCK issues to their retailers. Unfortunately, in my endeavor, I have a very hard time establishing any online inventory management systems. They just dont seem to exist. Just shy of getting a DAILY email from manufacturers, there really doesn't seem to be a way around this problem. EXCEPT for only selling what you actually have in house that has already been paid for. This would greatly limit a lot of online retailers from being able to offer such a diverse product line.

In any event, all inventory issues should be addressed within 24 hours of the purchase. If a retailer KNOWS that the MANUFACTURER is NOT going to ship right away and does not have a ship date, they should then offer the customer the option of a full immediate refund, OR, the option to wait for it to ship.

If retailers are honest about it, there would be no problem.

You decide.

Ace

I totally agree with you on this Christian. In any event, all inventory issues should be addressed within 24 hours of the purchase. If a retailer KNOWS that the MANUFACTURER is NOT going to ship right away and does not have a ship date, they should then offer the customer the option of a full immediate refund, OR, the option to wait for it to ship. Thanx for your input.
Have A Nice Day:)

Back