New to the hobby could use some insight on a rebuild

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markaagent

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Me and my son are new to the hobby he’s 14 and he’s got some friends that are really into RC (dads into it to) and I my self always wanted a really fast RC so here we are

We have an older Holyton that me and my son was thinking of upgrading/rebuilding I’ve done some research on ESC’s like the side winder 4 and a 7700 KV, new servo suspension and everything basically a total rebuild however I’m not sure if it will fit I seen a YouTube video but he had custom fabricated brackets and such I'm not geared for that

OR do we just buy a new one? lol I’d love to build this one we have now as a project but we want to go fast not sure if this thing has the capacity for 100+ MPH
Anyway any insight is greatly appreciated
Thanks for reading.

IMG_4646.jpeg

The Chinese brand RC's are not a good place for a novice to start monkeying around with. Since that is an all in one ESC/Receiver with a 5-wire servo, it will need a new motor, ESC, radio, and servo. And since you can't find hopup parts for most of the Chinese stuff, modding the car to use or handle the upgrades turns into a nightmare.

I would suggest you look at Arrma, Axial, Team Associated, Losi, or Traxxas for something better suited for hopping up as there are good aftermarket parts available for them. Plus you don't have to wait a month for replacement parts.

Last edited:
hey bro welcome to the site, I'm pretty new myself, i looked for that brand and sadly its not one of the brands that gets the big store support. still be good fun, i know my HBX is a blast, but i quickly ran into the issue of parts and service. its almost nonexistant. short of hitting Amazon up and waiting a few weeks for that part you broke. it finally got here sweet here we go, but then something else needs to be repaired and we're down again. back to YouTube to watch other people drive theirs. made me realize that that extra on the price tag was basically for the ability to walk into a store and say hey bro i broke this part i think. they can check usually grab it off the shelf and will help you out. or suggest something better that will fit
on the other hand. i walk in with the hbx. they look kinda disappointed in me and won't even try. they are just eh if it was a Traxxas i could help you immediately. a lot of those brands' parts are interchangeable. the hbx and the one you've got... not so much. The only thing that will fix the hbx (same as Holyton) is a specific piece from that specific manufacturer. switched over to "name brands" its a lot interchangeable.
You WILL have a blast with your rc. but if your going for speed, my new guy suggestion would be get one of the big brands (Traxxas, arrma, losi?) mainly cause the aftermarket support and upgrades are there in spades. but the amazon rc's not so much. i ramble.. my bad

That rc pictured will never see100 mph.no matter what you put in it. at 60 mph the tires will ballon and blow apart.. if you want a 100 mph rig Id buy a New one Arrma is a good brand to get for that... the rig in pic can be upgraded but it will be costly.New radio new esc new less than 7700kv motor servo(3 wire) .you alrady have a lipo with deans connector ..You see Iam a speed nut I have several rigs that will break 100 mph ...My personal best i 176mph.. on 1.6 scale

yellow.jpg

Hey everyone! Me and my son are new to the hobby he’s 14 and he’s got some friends that are really into RC (dads into it to) and I my self always wanted a really fast RC so here we are

We have an older Holyton that me and my son was thinking of upgrading/rebuilding I’ve done some research on ESC’s like the side winder 4 and a 7700 KV, new servo suspension and everything basically a total rebuild however I’m not sure if it will fit I seen a YouTube video but he had custom fabricated brackets and such I'm not geared for that

OR do we just buy a new one? lol I’d love to build this one we have now as a project but we want to go fast not sure if this thing has the capacity for 100+ MPH
Thanks for reading.
Honestly it seems that you should approach one of your son's friends (friend's Dad) first to see what sort of RC that they are using.... your son will almost definitely want to do the same type of driving so they can play together. 100mph cars are not usually what his friends would be pursuing. They are very limited in use. A crazy fast car will be just for driving straight down the road and trying to go faster. It will be a money pit that is always broken badly as one false move leads to a crash.

Most of the quality Arrma and Traxxas cars and trucks are capable of 50-60 mph straight out of the box without upgrading and will be a great jumping off point for you and your son. They will be controllable, tunable, upgradable, and repairable with a bit of learning and the parts will be widely available. There are a variety of on road, dirt track, and off road styles so you can match his friends initially and then follow your own path as your learning progresses.

I'd just run that current RC as-is. I'd recommend you look at a 1/8 scale off-road buggy to modify, or 1/8 scale on-road platform that will be able to hold 4S~6S LiPo packs for your speed run adventures.

Welcome in @markaagent , I agree with TNT, that rig has a brushed motor which will never reach the speeds you're wanting
not to mention it will never stay together.
Start with a new rig for sure.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

We have some more research to do! Lol

Thanks for reading.

View attachment 183631
Might not want to go so fast to start. I would start with an Arrma Typhon. 6s. about $550. or so. Plenty of parts and a very good machine. It will be faster than you think.
20240228_170947_resized.jpg

!00 MPH is not realistic to most folks. 💥 I think 40 is fast to start.🏁

So we’re probably going to buy a new arrma however I’m still going to try to build this one we have now
Thanks for all the advice again!

So we’re probably going to buy a new arrma however I’m still going to try to build this one we have now
For me personally, 70 mph in an RC is just too darn fast. It doesn't matter how hood you are at driving, you're going to wrevk. And at those speeds, it's going to ne a very expensive wreck.

If you're going to get an Arrma, go 6s and up. Their 3s and 4s stuff isn't that great from my experience and from what a friend told me about his 4s Arrma stuff.

Also check out the Associated MT10. I see a lot of guys saying how great and durable that truck id.

Last piece of advice.... don't do it. Your current RC will never have good DNA. Use it as is. Instead find a good used RC or pony up for a good new one but don't put money in a car that will never have a future.

To be at all a good car it would need to have a brushless esc, brushless motor, proper suspension parts, plus a decent servo and still it would fall short of a decent modern RC. Instead either open your wallet and buy a good one or search your local Facebook Marketplace until something worthwhile comes along that is ready to go or can be made into a good vehicle. Don't invest money in what you have. I am not trying to be a jerk... just being brutally honest in a way that will save you money and hassles.

Back