Better clutch shoes for a HPI rs4 Nitro MT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
It's the older version of the MT2 (I think). The stock shoes burn up... fast. Last time I took it out, I had installed new shoes and a new CB. I roughed both surfaces up with sandpaper prior to installing. Also, I cleaned the bearings out of oil and put a drop of very light oil on them. When I installed my OS 18 last night, the shoes had about 2-3mm melted off of them already. I only ran about 10 tanks through it after installing the new shoes.

These are the stock shoes: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXM722

Anyone know of anything better? I don't really want to swap out the flywheel or anything, just looking for a better shoe compound as I'm sure the 4 tanks I ran through the OS 18 today took thier toll on the shoes.

BTW, the OS 18 is tons better than the poor dilapitated NitroStart 15 that was in it. By the 4th tank, I couldn't control the truck on pavement when stomping on the throttle... should prove to be fun!

I have bought these since I posted: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000426515&I=LXVK12&P=K

The only problem I seem to be having is that they drag at idle and the truck wants to walk away. They came with 3 sets of springs and the ones I used are the chrome ones which appeared to be the stiffest, so I'm hoping it will quit walking once the shoes wear down some. I've run about 10 tanks through since installing them though and they still look like new... I may have to drill a hole or two in them to lighten them up some so they engage at a higher rpm.