Beginners camera - needs suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I know we've got some photographers here so I'm looking for some feedback from you guys.

The wife has showed some interest in wanting to take up photography as a hobby so I'm looking for something that would be a nice little intro into the field to try out. Nothing over the top because I don't know if it's something she really wants to try out or just something to try here and there.

Any suggestions on a camera that would make a good intro camera?

Get the canon rebel like i have. Its a canon camera so its good quality. Intercahngeable lenses, add on flash, filters, and many other features. ITs not quite as high MP as a 30D or 40D but its a lot cheeper. This camera is what my mom started out on with digita slr.

They run about $500 range with an 18-55mm lense.

Is she looking for a SLR (Single Lens Reflex) or a point and click camera? The SLR are the larger cameras with changeable lens and look like a full sized 35mm type camera. The pictures taken with a SLR can never be matched by a small point and click. I can go one for hours but....anyway. I do have both, I pretty much always have my point and click with me for little everyday stuff but the big SLR I onlt pull out for good shoots. Now when you say as a hobby that leads me to believe SLR type camera. I am partial to Canon but a lot is really preference and what you are used to. Anytime I am looking at a camera or accessory I check out this web site DP review. They give honest professional feedback and if it is an ugly baby they will say so. http://dpreview.com/

I'm no "photog" but I take ALOT of pictures and not knowing if this is under your price range, I'll still suggest it, I'm really happy with my Nikon L110. You can take some amazing quality pics and the 15x zoom doesn't get too grainy even at the end of the zoom. Its also very comfortable to hold and easy to navigate through.

This is the same deal I bought....although mine showed a 3 year warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-Coolpix-L...l_Cameras&hash=item53e47a788a#ht_13229wt_1139

I highly recommend Canon cameras, they have some of the best glass in the industry. I don't care how many mega pixles you have, if the glass is cheap, your pics will show it. But the key is don't buy aftermarket lenses either, if you buy a Canon, buy Canon lenses, and don't buy grey market, make sure you get the main line with the warranty from Canon, not from the seller.

Lots of good info already, thanks guys! We have a 10MP Canon digital elph right now which is a point and shoot. It does a good job but I believe she's wanting to try out the "higher" end stuff.

Beason - do you have a model number for the Canon you're using? I did a search for Canon Rebel and got models from 30D all the way to 1,000D. As for price range I think you're right on the money, if I could pick up something for around $500 that would be awesome.

You guys mentioned some of them don't have built-in flash - how much does flash cost for these things? I would have thought flash was a given being so many pictures might be needing it. Surprise they don't come built-in.

I agree with Beason on the Canon. If you have a Sam's club membership, that camera comes with 2 lenses for 599. At Office Depot it's 500+ with the telephoto lens selling separately for another 200.

Ok for the price range Beason and Ralph was talking about I've found this camera, Canon EOS Rebel XS - which is a 10MP camera.

$579 with two lenses - both are from canon. Looks like I'd just need to get her a case and memory card.

Also found a package on ebay for the Canon with a bunch of other stuff too, $560 - just not sure about those types of deals coming out of NY and NJ. I've seen some of those camera stores... some of them look a lil shaddy to me.

I highly recommend Canon cameras, they have some of the best glass in the industry. I don't care how many mega pixles you have, if the glass is cheap, your pics will show it. But the key is don't buy aftermarket lenses either, if you buy a Canon, buy Canon lenses, and don't buy grey market, make sure you get the main line with the warranty from Canon, not from the seller.

Agreed, however you can get really good lenses that are not made by Canon. Sigma makes some really great ones. I have a 20mm 1.8 lens that makes me take really great low light shots.

I have the older rebel XT. I have basically the same package you linked. I have the 18-55 lens and the 80-200 lens. All the airshow pics and stuff i have posted were taken with the rebel.

The newwer one is the XTI, and has a little higher MP rating.

The one you linked has live view which mine does not. This is like a point and shoot where you can see the image in the view finder before taking the picture.

They come with a pop up flash, that works fine for most stuff, but you can also add a better flash, or even a remote flash to it.

You will need to get her at least 1 polorize filter, and one UV filter, as well as a few memory cards, bag, cleaning supplies, and maybe even a tripod. If you wait till xmas, you can get the family to chip in for the smaller stuff, and set her up with everything.

I also have a hood (cone part that goes on the end of the lens and helps with solar flare), and a remote control. this is nice for macro stuff, so you dont bump the camera when you hit the button.

You can get tripods pretty cheep, and they are nice to have but not mandatory.

I have dabbled with a few photo types with the rebel, and it will do a little of everything. Definitly a nice starter camera.

here are some examples of the pics I've taken.

IMG_9487fixed.jpg

IMG_9473fixed.jpg

IMG_9370fixed.jpg

IMG_8092.jpg

IMG_8470.jpg

IMG_7863.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8835.jpg

IMG_7417.jpg

Mine's the first Digital Rebel, still works great and takes great pictures. Just bought a new 20$ battery for it and it works like new again.

A few pictures I've taken.

IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3957-1.jpg

This is one of my favorites, so you get it in two flavors.
IMG_3459.jpg

IMG_3459-1.jpg

Beason and I have the same camera. I absolutely recommend a Canon that is comparable. Most of the shots I post here I've taken with it with the exception of recent photos cuz I've been using my Droid X alot for quick shots.

Agreed, however you can get really good lenses that are not made by Canon. Sigma makes some really great ones. I have a 20mm 1.8 lens that makes me take really great low light shots.

I would never put a Sigma lens on my Canon. I have had them in the past and the quality of their glass is not even close to what you will get on a Canon lens.

Ok well Canon seems to be the overall majority here, I think the deal on newegg is a pretty decent deal and the one I'll likely pick up. Thanks guys!

You have to do some research before buying, but that goes for all makers.

WOW - 15MP! That looks to be a better model then the one I was looking at.

Rolex said the special was $599 - I'll know for sure when I stop by Sams tomorrow during lunch. That's the best price I've seen thus far.

That is a pretty good deal. I have a 40D and love it. I almost upgraded to the 7D but the money ran out and the price went up. Damn my luck. You will be really happy with that camera.