Beginner Help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReadyToRun

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, i am getting into RC the hobby and need help. I am 16 and have been working hard saving my cash and i think i am ready to get my first RC. I have thought long and hard about Nitro VS Electric. I think i am going Nitro. I am thinking on getting the T-Maxx 3.3 as a beginner. I have heard that the break in process would give me ample time to get used to the motor/steering/etc. I know it is a big motor but if i got a 2.5 then i would upgrade ASAP. That is my nature and my family's nature haha. I have also heard that if i go with the 2.5 that when i am ready to go to a 3.3 that my chassis will be too short to run a 3.3 with simplicity. So please . I really like Traxxas but i am a NEWBIE so i could be wrong. I thought about getting a kit but i dont want to deal with getting the right radios and motors so i think i will go with a Traxxas RTR. Me and my dad have alot of experience with tuning motors so that shouldnt be much problem, and thanks to Woodies post i think ill be fine.So please give feedback! THANKS FOR HELPING THE NOOB:D

Kids who bash and crash, dont steal and deal.

Upon seeing that you are new to RC, my first thought was to recommend that you go electric because the learning curve associated with tuning a nitro engine causes many people to be frustrated with the hobby. Since both your dad have experience tuning engines, rock n roll with nitro...

I'd also recommend a Savage, but since you're homing in on Traxxas products personally I would choose a Revo over a T-Maxx any day (I own all three).

The T-Maxx is an older and cruder design and the Revo is light years ahead of the T-Maxx when it comes to handling. Also, at least for me, the T-Maxx isn't as easy to work on compared to a Revo (reassembling the differential bulkheads for example).

Welcome to the hobby!

+1 on the Revo. I had the older 3.3 (5309 non 2.4Ghz) and it was pretty fast and handled just about anything I threw at it. T-Maxx is fun too....but Revo will blow it's doors off for sure.

If you buy a new one...just remember to read all the information on the web about engine break in. It is THE most important time of the engines life. If you do it right....it will reward you. If you do it wrong....you will have a pretty paperweight ;-)

I would also recommend the Revo. That was my first nitro rig as well. I would also recommend using the heat cycle break-in method listed at the top of the engines section in this board. Once the engine is properly broken in, it will last quite a while. I would also recommend getting a temp gun when you purchase your rig to help with the break-in.

I was looking at the Revo first and my cousins uncle wants to sell me his used one. But from dirt bike experience buying used motors is like a fortune cookie filled with misfortune. His is upgraded for racing too but thats not what I'm gunna do I'm just going to hit jumps in the yard. 4wd is a must so the revo sounded good. Revo was my first choice but umm it looks scarybadass. If i can tell yall a list of the upgrades on the revo can yall guide me a little? And seeing that there were 3 thumbs up on the revo ill go with that bad boy. I have read all of WoodiEs beginner nitro guide about breaking in and i know to follow it well (boat motors & dirtbikes).

Thanks for all input.

I would also recommend the Revo. That was my first nitro rig as well. I would also recommend using the heat cycle break-in method listed at the top of the engines section in this board. Once the engine is properly broken in, it will last quite a while. I would also recommend getting a temp gun when you purchase your rig to help with the break-in.

the revo 3.3 was also my first rig ...love it :D
:first_place: for the heat cycle break-in method ;)...my first engine was done the traxxas way ...my second with heat cycle ...i saw a big difference in performance :D

Revo was my first choice but umm it looks scarybadass. If i can tell yall a list of the upgrades on the revo can yall guide me a little?.

Sure we will, that's what all of us are here for. We like to answer any questions any of the newer guys have. It is what make the hobby so much fun. And +1 on the Revo. It's one of the most versatile rigs out there, for beginners and pros. Good luck.

Drive it like you stole it!:D

:Washington_National:redbuggy:

i personaly have only owned team associated vehicles. never have had a traxxas and probably never will. a 2wd truck will go alot further than you think. never had a 4wd i think 2wd is a little simpler to work on. but, go with what your set on you got alot of guys here to back you up. go with it and have fun!

Thanks for all the feed back. I know this isnt the right place to put this but anyone think a snorkel is possible ;)? I will deff go with the Revo and deff drive it like i stole it. First thing i plan to do is RCNT decals!

plan on buying $150 of tool in the first mo. and if you get the ez start, nitro, pay no attention to the lights on the hand wand.

Was sarcasm intended on the wand part?

Heres my .02....IMO nitro is nitro, there is no beginner rig. Some engines are a little harder to get the hang of (traxxas) but they all work the same. If you want something that will handle well and bash on the jumps I suggest a Losi LST...If your budget won't allow that look at the Losi Aftershock, with a few upgrades it's a nice rig. If you want something to simply beat the heck out of the Savage is the truck for you but it handles like a brick on wheels. Both the Losi trucks and the Savage come with engines that are easy to tune and hold a tune well.

The revo is nice but I could never get the suspension tuned to my liking for rough terrain and jumping...The Maxx is cool but not as durable. Some TRX engines run like a dream and other are a PITA...IMO all TRX engines need to be sealed before they ever get started then they are easy to tune.

Your right about buying a used engine...it's a gamble!

See i plan on running in cane fields near my house with some earth jumps that i can smooth-en out with my shovel and some old cane rows that are no longer used. I want a smooth handling vehicle that i can jump with and the ground clearance of the Revo looks beautiful to me. Those other rigs look WAY to tall for easy handling at high speeds. But I've never owned a NitroRC so i don't know. The Traxxas motors are the only motors I've ever head of beside the Picco i believe its called. I need something 4WD though, my friend has a 2WD and it makes him very frustrated because it just doesn't perform well. I'm 16 so my budget isn't to big between buying the Iphone4 and Costa Del Mars but oh well.

As always, Thanks for feedback!

Those other rigs look WAY to tall for easy handling at high speeds!

From my experience the LST jumps and handles better than a Revo...the revo is going to bounce around while the LST soaks up the rough stuff. to each his own man, I'm just not a fan of the Revo.

From my experience the LST jumps and handles better than a Revo...the revo is going to bounce around while the LST soaks up the rough stuff. to each his own man, I'm just not a fan of the Revo.

I'm liking the LST, i can't find a used one for a reasonable price, but I'm looking!

Well, I've had many and it is a tough choice between revo, savage, lst. All 3 are good bashers and all 3 have their highs and lows. A revo with a 3.3 is the only revo I'd buy if I were to buy one. Currently, I have all 3 (sort of, aftershock is hopped up past the LST2) and each have their place for me. But I do pull the revo and savage off the shelf pretty much teh same amount of time while my aftershock remains sitting.

I was just on Craig's list for the Lafayette area and there are a few rc's in your home town.

I was just on Craig's list for the Lafayette area and there are a few rc's in your home town.

I looked back and found Revo, 2Tmaxx, Rustler, and a Nitro Sport with 1.5. I am going to see how much is wanted for the Revo. If it is already sold i think i am gunna go to the Tmaxx.

Last edited:
Don't buy a T-Maxx. You'll hate it. It sounds like the driving you plan to do will be too much for a Maxx. Traxxas is 99% marketing hype. I hate they sucker so many new people in this hobby just because they advertise so much more than the competition. A LST or Savage is so much better for beating on vs. any Traxxas product. Trust me, I have been in this hobby for 10 years. I started with a Traxxas, switched to a Savage, bought 2 Revos and always ended up driving the Savages over the Revos, so much more dependable. There is nothing like the power a BB engine makes. The 3.3 is a finicky little mill with no bottom end power compared to a .28 powered truck.
For your plans, buy a new Savage X with the 2.4 radio gear. Keep saving because you'll spend just as much on a used Traxxas in a month or more. I spent about 500 dollars on my Revo 3.3 just to get it durable. I still had to be more cautious with it than my Savages.