Beason's Boat (not a cris craft)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did they say why? to much heat? power? no air flow? the brushless motor may not fit. the orion i put in was almost to long. it presses the end bell on the battery tray pretty hard.

if its heat maybe get two water cool kits and streatch the coils out and slip them together over the motor that should keep it cool.

I'm guessing the voltage might just be too high......... I'm probably going to end up trying it. Even if i do burn the ESC and motor up. Just for shits n giggles.

I'm guessing the voltage might just be too high......... I'm probably going to end up trying it. Even if i do burn the ESC and motor up. Just for shits n giggles.

What a waste. Are you going to send it back to Castle (for shits and giggles) after you burn it up?

nah, still waitin for my replacement to come in from burning it up in the slash. I did see one brushless rtr at my lhs for 279. So I might consider gettin that one.

well i got some water time today. it ran good for about half a battery before the receiver got wet and started cutting out. I'm not sure where the water came in at but i had a bit in there.

it seems to have good power but the prop keeps cavitating. (is that what its called when it sucks air?) with more room it should plane out and stop but the pool is a bit small. is there a way to stop that? it seems to be a bit heavy on the nose to and was trying to submarine in tight corners and very low speeds. any ideas?

with the right timing i could hit it and the prop not suck air. when i did, it would shoot out of the water nicely,

it handles and turns pretty good for the speed i could get out of it, but if done just right the rear would slide out so the rudder thing may be needed.

any tips would be great!

i guess i have to get a balloon for the receiver, or get the waterproof one.

You'll find you need the skeg on there. Also, some boats tend to cavitate only on hard starts. If you get them up to planing speed, you can throttle them full out without a problem.
As far as 'subbing' the nose, try moving the batts farther to the rear. That will also get your prop a little deeper.

ok ok.. enough with the stick.. it was almost dark when i went and the camera was dead!! ill get some when we take it to the park.

i dont think i can move the battery on it.. its in there pretty snug. should i trim it up a little? it may have been the roughness off the water to. its a pretty small pool so i was roughing the water up alot

i tried getting it moving a bit before hitting it and it still cavitated. but seemed to quit once the boat caught up to the prop (if that makes any sense)

will changing the prop help with that?

guess ill check out a skeg, good thing i didnt cut the tabs off yet!

i forgot to put the cover on that goes under the canopy, maybe that is why my stuff got wet!

the slash and new emaxx have waterproof receiver boxes, can someone get me measurements on those, and a pic of it and how the wires exit? maybe i can fit one of those in there..

Last edited:
Can you adjust the angle of the prop relative to the surface of the water. I'm not sure what the term is for that but if you can give it a little more angle it'll bring the nose up a bit more and gain you some top speed as well, although a little less stable in the turns.

After I posted, I went back and looked at the pics. You don't have much room to change anything around for weight distribution.
It's gonna' be tough to get it properly trimmed without a bigger area to run it in.

Can you adjust the angle of the prop relative to the surface of the water. I'm not sure what the term is for that but if you can give it a little more angle it'll bring the nose up a bit more and gain you some top speed as well, although a little less stable in the turns.

yea i can trim it up. i was thinking the same thing, maybe that will help.

yea the components are pretty much set as to where they go since they screw into that mounting plate in certain areas.

it sets pretty low in the water, so i dont think i can add weight to the back without it taking in more water then it does now. i really gotta find out where the water is coming in at.

anyone got measurements and a pic of the slash or emaxx waterproof receiver box?

Setting the thrust angle of the prop will make a big difference as to how it launches and how it planes. That's the reason you need a bigger area to figure that out.
The more the prop is turned up, the deeper it will push the stern into the water on takeoff, and it will run wide open with the bow raised, rather than getting up on plane. It needs to find it's magic spot.

ok so i looked at the trim and it was all the way down. i moved it to the center of the adjustable area and it still looks like its a bit down but a lot closer to level. hopefully that will help.

now i have to let the receiver dry out, and try again.

ok, so i got a few more questions for you boat guys before the next outing.

last time i ran the boat i got some water inside. it wasn't alot but enough to spash around and get the receiver wet and end the day.

i got some balloons for the receiver, but its mounted by to ears with screws in them (typical traxxas) how would i mount it in the balloon?? if i put the screws in it would put a hole in the balloon.

on the water in the boat, i see some "autobailers" do these work well?? how do you install them?

any ideas on making the canopy any more water tight? i think that is where the water came in. i dont want to tape it all up though..

and finally, i cannot find a skeggard for my boat, any ideas on where to look?

Last edited:
Just balloon it and let it hang.

thats a good idea, you think i could split the fuel line and slip it over the edge of the canopy?

any info on the autobailer or the skeg?

Any way you can mount the fuel line will make a soft waterproof seal.

I have several skegs, but they are metal, with a base meant to screw into the hull. I think you can make one easily out of PVC sheet and screw it to the bracket. It looks like a shark fin, upside down.

Not sure on the auto bailer. If I added one, I'd go with an electric pump, constant on, (with its own switch) mounting the pickup tube all the way back and down in the Vee.

As far as the receiver, you really don't need to balloon it since it's not getting splashed. You're only getting a little in that won't cause a problem if the receiver is covered and the water can't reach the connections on top. The fuel line will probably stop almost all your water problems, so do that first, then see what you still need to do.

I've got a piece of plastic i was thinking about cutting down to make a skeg but i wasn't sure how precise they need to be.

the autobailers i saw were just one way valves you install in the rear of the boat. under power water can flow out, but when you stop a plastic ball floats up and stops water coming in.

the receiver got wet last time, so i dont want to chance it. ill try the seal as well but, ill need some more fuel line though.

well i got the balloon on the receiver and tried it again. I'm still getting alot of water inside so i need to figure out why. here is a couple of videos of the run.

sorry for the quality, all i have is a digital camera that does video.

watch closely at the first one. i flipped it over!!

i really need a skeg and an autobailer!

[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v442/beason/rc/?action=view&current=MOV00316.flv]
th_MOV00316.jpg
[/ame]
[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v442/beason/rc/?action=view&current=MOV00317.flv]
th_MOV00317.jpg
[/ame]
[ame=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v442/beason/rc/?action=view&current=MOV00318.flv]
th_MOV00318.jpg
[/ame]

Back