Beason's Boat (not a cris craft)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beason

Bash, Fix, Repeat..
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well i have the traxxas blast i got cheep from a local guy, so i decided to mod it up a bit. My plan is to go with a "theme" boat and the one i picked is the boat from the old TV show "thunder in paradise" staring the hulkster!

post-425982-1157999603.jpg

here is the boat as it is stock.

blast.jpg

this is my first ever boat so i will have plenty of questions!!

so i got the boat, and the ESC was toast. I ripped out the guts and ordered a 12t double orion motor and the traxxas waterproof esc. I also got a water cooling setup, the canopy for the new style blast, (the old one has an open canopy, the new one is enclosed) and new gromments for the rear (the old ones were dry rotted)

while its apart i removed the decals, and sanded it down to get the clear coat off. Then i sprayed it with krylon ultra flat black. for that stealth look. I masked off the center of the bottom of the hull and left it white so if i hit anything it wont chip the black off.

i will post pics of it later, i haven't uploaded them yet.

I left the rx with the traxxas stocker and switched to a duratrax pistol grip tx i had laying around. It came with a dual stick radio. I will upgrade to my nomadio later if i like the boat.

The plan is to put the yellow pins stripes on the boat (without the "thunder") and find a Gatling gun for the nose. then i will build a trailer for it out of aluminum c channel. I plan on using 10th scale wheels and tires and attempting to make it very scale looking. complete with lights, pads, and fenders.

motor:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAJ9&P=7

esc:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVSJ4&P=7

Anyone have any ideas on the pin striping? and where to find a realistic looking Gatling gun? i found a few on tower but they were to big. i need about 2 to 2.5 inches long

Last edited:
sweet a boat project, I've never ever paid any attention to a rc boat but i'll follow this build out of curiosity.

for pin striping all u have to do is get a roll of it from your lhs.

i want it to taper at the nose, so i may have to get two rolls. i didnt know they would carry something like that. guess it would be more in the craft area huh.

all it is is a roll of thin decal tape.

LMAO on the Cris Craft comment.

I wonder how many guys are still around that know what you are referring to.

i had to put it in there, figured if i got 1 good laugh it was worth it.

the pic didnt show up!!! i was flying blind because i can't get to the site here at work and hoped it would come out. crap!!

let me try again...

Good luck with the new build can't wait ti see the finished poduct, maybe some video too....

If you spray it black, won't it be harder to retrieve when it sinks? :hehe:

I remember someone having a shell of a boat never getting finished. I think it was FastEddy.

It would be cool to have a boat.

It would be cool to have a boat.

Depends on where you live. When I lived in Florida, yes a boat is awesome! But when I moved to Long Island the rules here are insane. You have to buy an annual permit to run, you can only run on one lake in my area, and only from 12-4 pm. So I said the hell with that and sold my nitro hydro.

i dont have a ton of places to run it. a few parks have some water, and there are some decorative fountain ponds around close. everything else is brackish or salt and i dont think i want to go there. the neighbor told me i could use his pool for testing, but with a 12t motor I'm hoping the pool wont be even close to big enough.

the big thing for me is making the trailer. i want to sell my emaxx project and get one of the summits. it seems to be exactly what i need for that project. then i will pull the boat with the summit. i want the trailer to be scale looking but functional. i want to be able to drive the truck, launch the boat, drive the boat, back on the trailer, and drive the truck back without touching either rig.

anyone with tips on the trailer? i want to use aluminum c channel so it looks real. i know some of you guys have done brazing, and i think that would be the best way to build it. but can you braze aluminum? 10th scale wheels and tires should fit pretty well although ill have to figure out some axles. i was thinking square tubing and threaded rod. i could braze on a nut that would fit in the wheel hex and just let the rod spin in the tube.

Back