Battery stops working

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoMamaLlama

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Flying
Hey, I have got two Venom 3000 mah NiMH batteries. Ran just fine for three runs. But now once I run them, they work for about 2-3 minutes and stop working. The car is not the problem, it is just these batteries, as the battery that came with the car works just fine. But when I check the Venom battery, the voltage is fine and only lost 100 mah. Also, the batteries were fully charged. So what would the issue be?

nimh batteries will wear faster than a lipo. id say try lipos

nimh batteries will wear faster than a lipo. id say try lipos
I am switching to Lipo soon. But these NiMH batteries are almost brand new. 1 month old, used 3 times. But the battery that came with the car, a dynamite 3300 mah Nimh does not do this.

All the batteries the same voltage? Same cell count?

Is your ESC set to run in LiPo mode? If so, you are likely getting a low voltage cuttoff (lvc)

I d
Is your ESC set to run in LiPo mode? If so, you are likely getting a low voltage cuttoff (lvc)
I don't think so... even if it was, why would it affect only two batteries, not the two others
IMG_20220213_203557.jpg

These are the batteries, the one circled is giving me problems ( sorry about glare, red transparent ones are the venom 3000mah, black are dynamite 3300.)
IMG_20220213_203955.jpg

I d

I don't think so... even if it was, why would it affect only two batteries, not the two othersView attachment 141956
Because the NiMH batteries can't carry the current like a LiPo can. And if your batteries are suffering from voltage drop because of that (highly likely), they are triggering the lvc. Your other batteries may not be suffering from voltage drop as badly. What mAh are the other batteries?

Black batteries (Dynamite) are 3300. only 300 more than the ones giving problems

I just noticed the jumpers on your esc. They appear to be set to NiMH. So I don't know. Maybe you got shite batteries.

Lol probably, it is to late to return now, past the 30 day return for amazon

What are you charging them with?
Still have the prophet sport mini for charging, but when I check them with a voltage meter they get around 8.7 volts, 3400 for dynamite, or 8.6 v 3200 mah for venom
(Yes I'm planning on upgrading the charger, mainly to the Hota D6 Plus)

Also something else I noticed, once the car stops because the batteries are too low (Both the provided dynamite from car and the venom batteries) I check the battery, and the dynamite is at 3003 Mah, and the venom is at 2960 Mah. (Dynamite max is 3300 mah, venom max is 3000 mah) . Voltage is normal, this something related to NiMH batteries @WickedFog ?

You might want to try a few full cycles on the batteries. NiMH batteries sometimes do better after they are fully charged, then fully drained a few times. I haven't run NiMH for years, except for AA rechsrgesbles for my tr as nsmitters, so I don't know what problems you might be experiencing. The only thing I can think of is if your gearing is too high, maybe the amp load the motor is trying to pull is more than the batteries are capsble of delivering. Is it a brushed motor? If it is brushless, there may be the problem.

Yes, it is brushless. I will try the cycle!
Also, I have been looking at LiPO batteries, most seem to have a Dean connecter, but I need a EC3 connecter for car, and a xt60 for charger, what adapters would I need?

Last edited:
Yes, it is brushless. I will try the cycle!
Also, I have been looking at LiPO batteries, most seem to have a Dean connecter, but I need a EC3 connecter for car, and a xt60 for charger, what adapters would I need?
36xx brushless motors generally don't like NiMHs as they draw a lot of amps. And, the ESC you showed is brushed, is it for a different RC? And never use adapters in an RC, only for charging.

Sorry, got that mixed up, yes it is brushed, and yes that is my RC. And If I shouldn't use adapters, what LiPO battery do you recommend that is above 5200 MaH?
36xx brushless motors generally don't like NiMHs as they draw a lot of amps. And, the ESC you showed is brushed, is it for a different RC? And never use adapters in an RC, only for charging.

Last edited:
Sorry, got that mixed up, yes it is brushed, and yes that is my RC. And If I shouldn't use adapters, what LiPO battery do you recommend that is above 5200 MaH?
CNHL makes some good LiPos, this 2s will work, you just need to solder on an EC3 connector.

I have Traxxas NiMH batteries, the instruction say to charge cycle them a few times before use, charge it till It's physically hot, turn off, leave for 10 mins, put back on charge and do this a few times, think of it as conditioning the battery, done it to mine, and works fine.

Back