Ark-La-Miss crawlers, June Comp

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well as a lot of you know by now, I've been working feverishly this past week to get ready for the big comp. Today, Alpinehyperlite and I rode together to Shreveport (2.5 hours away from me, 5 hours away from him) for the comp. I had a really good time today. I'm having an issue that I'm going to have to resolve. For some reason, when my truck is getting in a bind, I'm pulling the right rear lower link right out of the end link that mounts to the axle. I had to make repairs three times because of that problem. I'm going to be limiting my articulation and replacing the chassis, and it should take care of the problem. I made a really good run on the second course, until my rig broke again (same problem). I did manage to clear enough gates to finish the comp in 8th position. I think there was about 16-18 people competing.

However, I learned so much today, and I will definitely be running a lot of comps from now on. The group of guys that put the comp was a bunch of really nice guys, and one nice girl. Of course, the nice girl snuck in and out crawled the rest of us. It's amazing to be around guys that are there to have fun as well as compete, and everyone was helping out whoever needed it. After I ripped the second end link out, one of the guys who had a very expensive and very serious rig offered to let me run his rig (with the approval of the others) just so I could finish the course. I wouldn't run it because we weren't on a course where I could take it easy, so I didn't want to break anything. When some of the top guys (who made it to nationals) started having trouble, James and I knew we were in for some serious trouble lol.

Overall, my lil stocker ran pretty darn good considering I was still rolling mostly stock parts, with little suspension tuning.

Alpinehyperlite didn't have any breakage, and he did a hell of a job out on the rocks. He ordered a new body but it arrived crushed, so he was rocking (pun intended) my 72 Chevy body. As soon as James starts to get the feel for his rig and plan his lines further ahead, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Also, I will be getting a video camera in a few days, and the video of the next comp will be of much better quality.

Sorry I don't have more video, we forgot to record my run on the first course, and the second course run was short. I just checked the video, James didn't catch me limping through two gates with no rear lower link to get the progress points.
[ame=http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/charliestheman/Rock%20Crawling/June%20Comp%20Video/?action=view&current=100_0682.flv]
th_100_0682.jpg
[/ame]

100_0681.jpg

100_0680.jpg

100_0673.jpg

100_0674.jpg

100_0672.jpg

Last edited:
sounds awsome charlie, glad u did good and alpinehyperlite. i bet it was more fun than i can even imagine. so whens the next one your entering?

We are also running a slash race class after the crawling is finished with at each class. It was started as a spec class, but it will be brushless and LiPo in no time. Man these things are a blast. These are the toughest RC's I've seen, and that is saying a lot compared to the baja and the Savage. These will be what puts traxxas back on top of the map. The Slash Demo Derby was the best part. I couldn't believe the abuse these things will take.

[ame=http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/charliestheman/Rock%20Crawling/June%20Comp%20Video/?action=view&current=100_0689.flv]
th_100_0689.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/charliestheman/Rock%20Crawling/June%20Comp%20Video/?action=view&current=100_0697.flv]
th_100_0697.jpg
[/ame]

[ame=http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh195/charliestheman/Rock%20Crawling/June%20Comp%20Video/?action=view&current=100_0706.flv]
th_100_0706.jpg
[/ame]

Last edited:
sweet, I'm so glad that i found out my truck will be shipped on monday, unless they ship on sunday, but i doubt it, we are going to have a lil comp sometime this summer about 5 minutes from where i live, so that will be nice...

wow, good vids man. that course looks very difficult, they must take alot of time to lay out all the lines.

It was really a hard course because of the rocks being laid in, there was way too many big gaps for 2.2 class, it was really better suited for a super rig.

That last vid where he caught the rc after the backflip was awesome lol

Y didnt post the derby? awww good times. I'm actually about to go pick up my slash. Had a great time up there, but like i said in another post, i got sunburn on my head, it was hard to sleep last night, but i was so tired from the 5 hours of driving, then 6 hours in the sun, then 5 more hours of driving, it didnt even matter.

And yes, course was hard. The competition was actually broken up into two different courses of (chuck correct me if I'm wrong) 9 gates apiece. The first one, no one even made it through the 6th gate. Not even the guys that designed the course.i made it through like 3 on the first course and 5 on the second course before i hit my 8 minute time out.

I had 30 videos to weed through to find the good ones, and I was so tired last night, I wouldn't have done any of them except that I knew you were ready to see them. I'll go through the rest of the videos later today and post up the good ones and delete the bad ones.

Lookin' good Charlie! You got some great photos of your crawler there! it looks awesome on the rocks. :thumbup:

Yeap the pics are of Alpine's rig. I let him run my body because he didn't have one. His body arrived damaged, so I just made a last minute change of plans and mounted the new, white, and gray axial body on mine so he could have a custom lid for the comp. The video of the red and white axial with the brand new XC-1 body is mine.

awesome action shots. the coarses did look really hard. yes charlie post up some pics of the derby YOO

does someone go through and run the coarse before the comp to make sure everything is doable? what happens if u get to a spot that u can't get through, do u just take a set amount of points and move to teh next spot?

Hey Charlie, this is a little off the subject, but what kind of ramps were they using? I've been trying to come up with something that is light-weight and similar to what I see in those videos.

yeap, any stores like Wal-Mart, target, academy sporting goods, places like that will carry them. They are designed for little kids to use for skateboard ramps, and they're really cheap. You can't build one that cheap.