Anyone in the UK - Looking for help finding a glue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooo yeah that wouldn't be good. I searched.. any plastic welding glue in US for 3D PLA. Compared to the plastic EMA glue used over seas in the UK...There was a bunch listed as to being a glue wleding compound.. But not really sure what you exactly looking for...Try typing that in search bar... and see what comes up... there was alot...
Yeah, a lot of the welding glues for styrene will work for most plastics, but they just don't melt PLA. I have been reading 3d printing posts and have seen a lot of tests, and even done some of my own. The EMA glue seems to be the only glue that melts PLA. I emailed EMA a few days ago, but so far no response.

If you apply much heat to pla, trying to keep it in an area, the heat spreads very quickly, then the plastic melts everywhere and warps, then hardens very quickly. Well before you could assemble two parts. I just need to fly to the UK and buy a bunch of this EMA glue, or risk having some shipped to me.
The only problem there would be wether they’d let you fly with it as you can’t even take a bottle of fizzy pop on board nowadays bud.
If you can get the info on wether any ingredient is prohibited by the US (maybe email the manufacturer to ask them or if they have a US based supplier) then you’d know if you could import some yourself?
Like I said if you need me you know where I am too it wouldn’t be a problem to me at all.
Hope you get something sorted WickedFog mate

Problem solved!

I found this stuff and based on reviews and videos this seems to be the same stuff. And you can even buy it in different thicknesses up to a gel (Weldon 16), so this should be even better!
Screenshot_20210831-022131_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Problem solved!

I found this stuff and based on reviews and videos this seems to be the same stuff. And you can even buy it in different thicknesses up to a gel (Weldon 16), so this should be even better!
View attachment 131848
Oh yeah NICE!!! Glad you found something bud👍👍👍

I've got some of the weld-on at work. once again be careful to get a good seal on the tin, or better yet move it to bottles, it evaporates quickly.

I've got some of the weld-on at work. once again be careful to get a good seal on the tin, or better yet move it to bottles, it evaporates quickly.
Yeah, I already thought of that one. I will just put it in my EMA bottle when it is done. I have a bunch of amber bottles as well, just not sure if the caps will be safe with that stuff. Will have to test it to see.

@Doom! - do you guys use the #16 gel or the thin #3 stuff? I am curious how thick the gel is. I sometimes have really big parts to glue up, like the bridge I made. The thin EMA worked great because I could just run a brush around the edge of the webbing I glued on and capillary action drew the glue in to hold it down. But the gel would probably have been better to glue the gears and side braces on it.

I've always herd that different glues dont like each other so why use a old glue container to hold a glue?. by me I have a few arts and craft stores that sell empty containers to hold glues in.. and id say the higher the # the more time you have to work with it .. any way ...

I've always herd that different glues dont like each other so why use a old glue container to hold a glue?. by me I have a few arts and craft stores that sell empty containers to hold glues in.. and id say the higher the # the more time you have to work with it .. any way ...
I have tons of bottles for my vape juice that I make, so I won't have a problem there. But the problem with those, or any other bottle I could buy, will be the plastic caps. Will they melt? These glues melt plastic, so I dunno. So to be safe I will likely just use the same bottle my glue is in after cleaning it out, after of course making sure the Weldon glue doesn't melt that cap.

I have tons of bottles for my vape juice that I make, so I won't have a problem there. But the problem with those, or any other bottle I could buy, will be the plastic caps. Will they melt? These glues melt plastic, so I dunno. So to be safe I will likely just use the same bottle my glue is in after cleaning it out, after of course making sure the Weldon glue doesn't melt that cap.
I'd say pour a little in one of the bottles you'd like to try, leave it for a day or two, and if destruction has occured, don't pour more in! If not, observe for another day. If it completely warps the plastic, maybe use some bottle with a metal cap? How's the situation Wicked (ok if I call you Kev?)?

I'd say pour a little in one of the bottles you'd like to try, leave it for a day or two, and if destruction has occured, don't pour more in! If not, observe for another day. If it completely warps the plastic, maybe use some bottle with a metal cap? How's the situation Wicked (ok if I call you Kev?)?
Yeah, Kev is fine. I haven't ordered the Weldon glue yet. I still have some of the EMA glue left, and rarely need it. Was just researching for future needs. When I do get back to working on our 24th scale diorama, I have a couple things I will be printing that may require gluing, so will order some then.

Yeah, Kev is fine. I haven't ordered the Weldon glue yet. I still have some of the EMA glue left, and rarely need it. Was just researching for future needs. When I do get back to working on our 24th scale diorama, I have a couple things I will be printing that may require gluing, so will order some then.
Dude look into getting some of that 3m plastic weld. I've used it on every plastic. From the tamiya blackfoot body from 86'. To lexan to car parts.. it works great and super strong hold... Definitely worth a look for sure

Dude look into getting some of that 3m plastic weld. I've used it on every plastic. From the tamiya blackfoot body from 86'. To lexan to car parts.. it works great and super strong hold... Definitely worth a look for sure
I will grab some of that along with the Weldon 4. Try some of it on PLA, like glue your scraps together and see if you can pull them apart. PLA is notorious for being painfully hard to glue.

I will grab some of that along with the Weldon 4. Try some of it on PLA, like glue your scraps together and see if you can pull them apart. PLA is notorious for being painfully hard to glue.
I got ya covered. Will do so when I get home sir..👍👍
Will give you a call in a little while

When I first started reading RCT I thought you were called Breydon, because of your profile picture (which is actually the icon of your son's YT channel if I'm not mistaken)! Always good to be ahead of the game!

When I first started reading RCT I thought you were called Breydon, because of your profile picture (which is actually the icon of your son's YT channel if I'm not mistaken)! Always good to be ahead of the game!
Yeah Breydon is his son