aluminum instead of carbon??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreaux

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a mugen mbx6. My front shocktower which is carbon, has a pretty decent sized crack in it. so i decieded to try the aluminum on the front. How tough are they? How much does it take to bend them? Is it tougher then carbon towers?

I'm pretty sure they're stronger. From what I've seen, carbon breaks real easy. However, carbon is lighter than Aluminum.

Aluminum is tougher than CF. CF is tough and light, but aluminum is tougher but heavier.

can't be that much heavier

Carbon fiber does not break easily unless the layers get de-laminated. Then they fracture. Remember carbon fiber is an aerospace laminate that is strong as hell and ultra light weight.

That being said, aluminum will bend in situations that will fracture weak carbon fiber. But, if it were me, I would not use aluminum in arms, bulkheads, nor shock towers. Skids and bumpers fine, but not something that is going to send the shock and stress of an impact to the next weakest part.

It's not much heavier, but carbon fiber or composite has a tendency to fracture and splinter, unlike aluminum. Try sealing the edges of the carbon fiber with a high quality CA glue, and/or sandwich 2 towers together. Carbon fiber is actually up to 5 times stronger than aluminum, and 3 times stronger than steel. But the thickness of the sheet the parts are being cut from determine its yield strength. Aluminum can be made thicker because of its light weight, if the carbon part was as thick as the aluminum part, it'd be damn near unbreakable. But alas..everything yields at some point.

Thanks for the back-up, buddy! Funny, I was going to mention the CA thing. That is how the aerospace industry does it!

Here's an interesting video for you to watch.

[ame]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3741362681682291899[/ame]

If you did some destructive testing on her like in the video, she would. LMAO!

"Not my EX..."

Cold hard huh? I prefer plastic on my RCs.

Carbon fiber does not break easily unless the layers get de-laminated. Then they fracture. Remember carbon fiber is an aerospace laminate that is strong as hell and ultra light weight.

That being said, aluminum will bend in situations that will fracture weak carbon fiber. But, if it were me, I would not use aluminum in arms, bulkheads, nor shock towers. Skids and bumpers fine, but not something that is going to send the shock and stress of an impact to the next weakest part.

I would understand if the tower were plastic. but the carbon towers are stiff as hell just like the aluminum. Niether give. So how would the alumium create more stress? If anything i would seam that the alumium would give at the last minute as opposed to carbon.

My main point was that the carbon fiber is going to be better that the aluminum. It MAY crack, but it isn't going to bend, and it usually is not going to fracture unless it is already damaged. I was just stressing that I do not believe in aluminum unless you are building a bling machine. JMO.

The only aluminum I trust is 7075 T-6. But good luck finding anyone who makes R/C parts with it. Some companies do, but its hella expensive.

Oh jeez, who woke grandpa up?! LOL jk jk....don't ban me pweese.

I knew you would hear that from a mile away! I almost added that he should ask you about the vices of aluminum.

so did i make a mistake? It's hardly for bling. Actually my car will look quite stupid since one is carbon and one is alumium. Oh well

I wouldn't say a mistake per say. We are just saying that the carbon fiber would be a better choice.

Back