Acrylic and lacquer paints together?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buncrana

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Can you use both on the same body without worrying about flaking?

acrylic is waterbased laquer being solvent based solvent based paint molecules squeeze together the acrylic may loosen and give the crap effect. you can try a small test panel. its always the best way to do things, and sorry i dont know if your one of those cheap people out there that will go crabby on me and say "the reason i posted is to see if anyone here knew because i can't waste paint" a small light area will do fine for test.

Nah, I'm more like the impatient type who will say feck it, and just go buy more paints. Reason I was asking is I want to use acrylic for the main colors and Spaz Stix Chrome for the design on the side. I used some metalic, water based paint and it looked much better than the lacquer type I had used before that.

i have used both acrylic and laquer on the same body. you need to apply the laquer based paint first. before applying water based paint. if done vice versa you run the risk of having the laquer bleed through water based.

you also need to allow water based paints to cure fully for a week. if not you will definitely flake on a big hit (very important!!!). i usually apply sealer and apply spray can silver. i have had no issues and my bodies have not experienced any chipping, even after a high speed collision with a curb at Floyd bennet field.