Acme Conquistador .18 Team Infinity

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobotBoy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just picked up a Acme conquistador that I've been told has a .18 team Infinity engine.

I gave it a clean and set it all up using the manual and YouTube. Took it out for a drive and it ran great. Then I clipped a traffic cone and flipped it. The engine revved really high after the crash so I turned it off straight away.

Upon inspecting it. The clutch bell gear had taken a cog sized chunk out of the main gear. I replaced the main gear with a new hardend delrin one. Took it outside fired it up and after a few seconds of idle it revved really high again and stripped the main gear once again.

I'm quite new to nitro RC cars so I'm not really sure what is causing this? Could the clutch be broken?

Not a problem. There is a ton of video's on youtube also.

Ok so I've reset the engine to stock settings. I took the clutch out and inspected it. The spring is missing. Could that be causing the CB to destroy the spur gear?

I have attached an image of the damaged spur gear.

Attachments

• IMG-20200725-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20200725-WA0001.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 51
It sounds like you're not getting the proper mesh of the gears set when you installed them, allowing them to slip and strip your gear. When you install the gears, take a strip of printer paper and roll it between the gears tight enough to allow the gears to crush the paper and fit perfectly between the gears. Hold them in place and tighten the motor mount screws. Remove the paper and you should now be able to rotate the gears with just a very slight amount of play in between the gears. The gears should never be so tight that they bind to the point that you feel a restriction as you roll them.

It sounds like you're not getting the proper mesh of the gears set when you installed them, allowing them to slip and strip your gear. When you install the gears, take a strip of printer paper and roll it between the gears tight enough to allow the gears to crush the paper and fit perfectly between the gears. Hold them in place and tighten the motor mount screws. Remove the paper and you should now be able to rotate the gears with just a very slight amount of play in between the gears. The gears should never be so tight that they bind to the point that you feel a restriction as you roll them.

Thanks but that's what I did when I replaced the the spur gear the 2nd time. After I started it up it revved like crazy then stripped the new spur gear the same as the picture above. Could the clutch being broke cause this to happen?

I have a new clutch kit and spur gear on order.

Below is a picture of the 2nd spur gear I've ruined.

Attachments

• 15956783970212231559961573227730.jpg
    15956783970212231559961573227730.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 59
Back