54" Shallow Vee tribute build. - Looking for some advice.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABabyEater

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Flying
  5. Boating
As the title states, I have a 54" shallow vee hull (huge thanks to @LibertyMKiii ) that I am planning on building as a tribute boat to my late Uncle John.

20210726_235909.jpg

Based on my research, with the size of the boat, and the rear profile of the hull, I am considering a dual prop, dual 8S build. Since the hull is a much shallower vee than most mono hulls, I figured a dual prop configuration similar to most catamarans would work well, both for delivering the needed thrust for a 54" hull, and the handling bonus of smaller props.

20210726_235945.jpg

For electronics, I am looking at a pair of Firma 160 Marine controllers, each paired to a Castle 1520, 1650kv. However, I am having trouble finding a long water jacket for ribbed 40mm motors, and pretty much any large scale parts - rudders, trim tabs, etc. Additionally, with this being my first build from a naked hull, I am sure to be missing many of the important but easily overlooked pieces. Does anyone have a sort of checklist for everything that is needed to finish off a build from scratch?.

^^ditto
I'll be watching this thread.

I know more about The Red Dragon Inn than I do about boats ;)

We have a couple of boat guys in here. One of them should be along eventually to take a crack at your question :)

looks very nice. are you going to have counterrotating props?

Back