4.6 wanting to move to a steel spur

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndo62

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I kinda burn through a lot of plastic spurs! I noticed the flux and the xl have steel 52 spurs. can i move from the stock 47 to the 52 steel with out a issue. Or will this involve a bigger or smaller clutch bell. I have seen charts on the gear ratios yet nothing that has shown me the 47 tooth. (stock in my 4.6 rtr)
( i have the stock 17T clutch bell)
Any input would appreciated.

If you are burning through spur gears, you should check your mesh. If you do go with a steel spur, make sure you get hardened steel clutch bells too

Actually the Flux has a 44t spur gear. You can get a 47t that came with my XSS kit. Pretty good but as mentioned be very sure to get hardened spur gear or it will eat it up. The 17/52 combo will not fit, not enough adjustment room. You would have to go down one tooth and that would give you a 3.25:1 ratio....you currently have a 2.76:1. You would slow WAY down with the new combo.

It sounds like bad mesh. Had my savage for a year now and havent stripped a single spur.

What's happening to your spurs? You melting the center out or ripping the teeth off?

My mesh is great actually its just about every 5 or 6 sessions (outings) i either melt the middle of the spur or break some teeth off. I usually melt the middle out or nut comes loose. And i am using loc tite as well with a new loc nut. any ideas. How long does a spur last usually. I do bash pretty hard.

Thanks for the help guys

I have some spurs from the mid 90's that are still in good shape.;) Make sure your clutch bell bearings are good and that the bell is shimmed properly(just a "tick" of play). What kind of locktite are you using on the slipper nut?

If the center is melting out, then your having excess slipper slippage. I had that problem when running too tall of gearing after installing a LRP28S3 in my savage. With my old engines and lower gearing, I ran 10+ gallons on the same 52T spur! I still have it in my tool box somewhere. It's all beat up, but still no teeth missing and spins true.

As soon as I got 3/4 the way through break-in with the LRP and gearing that I thought would be reasonable (16/47), I knew I was about to have problems...

I ended up running 16/49 gearing and relatively normal sized MT tires/wheels. Going from 47T to 49T made all the difference in the world.

With 47T and the slipper spring fully compressed, it would be fine in 1st gear, but as soon as it shifted into 2nd, the engine had more torque than the slipper could deal with and it would start slipping. Within a few minutes of running it kind of hard, it was slipping constantly. As soon as I geared it down 2T, roughed up the slipper pad and washer again, I haven't had an issue since.

Back