3PK vs M8

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is buying a radio off ebay a good choice or is it better to buy new.

w/ electronics you're safer buying new....at least you'll know every time it was dropped....lol

Buying a radio off EBAY is a good choice.Just not 2.5's.

Buy it new and fill out the warranty card. Best thing you can do.

The Black one is Synth, no crystals. Is the spektrum worth it for the 3pk?

DSM?

If you have the money its worth it.

Ok 3pk and Spektrum DSM getting orderd tonight. I got my Sensor returned.(i will tell the story later)

PiErow said:
The Black one is Synth, no crystals. Is the spektrum worth it for the 3pk?
But is it more expensive then the normal 3PK.

PiErow said:
Ok 3pk and Spektrum DSM getting orderd tonight. I got my Sensor returned.(i will tell the story later)

Nice, you wont regreat either choice.

THe 3PK is an awsome radio and the DSM is the best, crystals are OLD tech.

# No more waiting for an open frequency—just turn it on
# Ultra fast 5.6ms response time
# No tuning or maintenance to perform (ever)
# Built-in fail-safe drives servos to preprogrammed position if signal is lost
# Ultra precise 4096 bit resolution
# Operates on international 2.4GHz ISM band so no need to change bands when traveling to international races
# Short 8.5” or 3.6” receiver antenna length and 3.5” transmitter antenna length
# 40% less current draw with the transmitter means 40% more battery life
# Telemetry ready for rpm/speed, temperature, battery voltage, lap times and signal strength
# Legal for most racing organizations including ROAR, NORRCA and IFMAR
# Available for most popular 3-channel module radio systems for easy, inexpensive conversion to DSM technology

Collision avoidance eliminates the possibility of more than one Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum system from transmitting on the same frequency. Here’s how it works: When the transmitter is turned on, the system scans the 2.4GHz band looking for an open channel. 79 channels are available. When an open channel is found, the system locks in and transmits on that channel as seen below.

This process takes about 2 seconds. In the unlikely event an open channel is unavailable, the transmitter continues to scan without emitting a signal until an open channel becomes available. The transmitter will remain on that selected channel until it’s turned off. Each individual module is factory programmed with its own unique serial code called GUID (Globally Unique Identification code). Once a receiver is programmed to a specific module (called binding) the receiver will only recognize that module ignoring signals from any other sources. And with over 4 billion possible GUID codes, it’s virtually impossible for a receiver to listen to anything other than its bound transmitter.

When the receiver is turned on, it scans the 2.4GHz band and searches for its specific transmitter’s encoded signal. When found, it locks in on that channel. If the signal is lost, the receiver goes into a hold mode, positioning the servo to a preset fail-safe position until the signal is reacquired. If the receiver is turned on before the transmitter, it will continuously scan the band until the encoded transmitter signal is present. During this period, the receiver drives the servos to the preset fail-safe position. All Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum systems are required by the FCC to incorporate active collision avoidance, making it impossible and illegal for more than one transmission on a single frequency.
"Convenience is tremendous. Anywhere, anytime, any place. You can check your car for maintenance without getting the pin."
- Horizon Engineering Manager, John Adams

BINDING

Each module has it own unique code (called GUID). The receiver must be programmed to a specific module so that the receiver will only recognize that module, ignoring signals from any other sources. This process called binding is push-button-easy and takes only about 30 seconds. During the binding process the servo fail-safe positions are also set. It’s necessary to bind the receiver to the module during first installation and is recommended when the receiver is moved from one car to another. Multiple receivers can be bound to a single transmitter module, common when using one transmitter to operate several models.

BOTTOM LINE

With Spektrum’s DSM system, you no longer have to wait for the frequency clip to practice, worry about transmitters being turned-on on your frequency, or interference caused from noisy motors, speed controllers or other interfering sources. The receiver will only recognize its corresponding module and it’s virtually impossible for a receiver to listen to anything else!

Plus the DSM system is telemetry-ready, and with optional telemetry modules the engine temperature, speed, rpm, signal strength, battery voltage and even lap times are displayed in real time via Spektrum’s handheld display or via a PC.

If you own any of the popular 3-channel module systems, the Spektrum module quickly replaces the existing module in your transmitter converting to this bulletproof radio link.

What kind of response time does Spread Spectrum have?
Spectrum's DSM system is optimized to give the fastest possible response time of 5.6ms. Typical FM systems offer a response time of 12 to 18ms.

What is the range?
Typical range is about 3000ft. depending on conditions.

LOL.....dude are you studying to get a masters degree in RC-ing????
you cut and paste info from your text books???

Plaidfish said:
LOL.....dude are you studying to get a masters degree in RC-ing????
you cut and paste info from your text books???

Your saying I shouldnt help and just make useless posts and waste the forums bandwidth?

:shrug:

Last edited:
not saying anything just making a statement.....
just poking a lil good natured fun and seeing where your info comes from.....
Experience
or
Reading

JATO said:
but is it worth the extra 60.

The spektrum?

Yes, I would say it is, many guys at rctech claim its one of the best purchases they have made.

As long as you get the latest revision your fine, I believe the earlier models had some glitching issues.

The firmware has been updated on the new versions, they work flawlessly.

Bouzouki said:
The spektrum?

Yes, I would say it is, many guys at rctech claim its one of the best purchases they have made.

As long as you get the latest revision your fine, I believe the earlier models had some glitching issues.

The firmware has been updated on the new versions, they work flawlessly.
Well I was talking about the black 3PK.

Why is it worth it when i was going to put in the Spektrum. For the extra 60 you get a synth modual which i would be taking outand replacing with the spektrum, and the black color, which i could care less about. I'm not going to pay 60 for the black color.

I mean since I am not going for the spektrum is it worth the extra 60$.

Back