36 years old bought a cheap RC car and have some questions :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

techtone

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I bought an RC Rally Car for my son (2 years old and the car was on discount). It's a Mini Rally Car. I'm in love with the scale of the car and I never had an RC car in my whole life!

It works amazingly good but the only downside is the controller is not good. I mean it only has click event? If that makes sense. Like a D button on console controllers. So you can just try to drive slowly and then accelerate etc.

Now I'm looking to other alternatives out there and the most common brands that I can find where I live are Nikko (this one is the most common one), HSP, Carrera and Traxxas (this one is quite expensive so it's not an option for now.)

What would you guys recommend? It would be great if the controller is like console controllers (shape).

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
I found these models from HPI (looks like this brand is quite famous and reliable?).

HPI Formula Q32 Blue 1:32 and HPI Q32 Baja buggy

HPI is a known good brand with lots of parts support as well as after market upgrades. I've had good luck with their micro-sized RCs (an old Micro Desert truck and a pair of SCTs). All of mine have been modified and upgraded to some degree although quite a few guys here run the stock ones in the house during the winter months o get their "fix" when the weather is bad.

That's great to know thanks a lot. I think I will go with the Baja buggy. Feels like a good starter :)

HPI is a known good brand with lots of parts support as well as after market upgrades. I've had good luck with their micro-sized RCs (an old Micro Desert truck and a pair of SCTs). All of mine have been modified and upgraded to some degree although quite a few guys here run the stock ones in the house during the winter months o get their "fix" when the weather is bad.
can't go wrong with HPI imo.

So I bought an RC Rally Car for my son (2 years old and the car was on discount). It's a Mini Rally Car. I'm in love with the scale of the car and I never had an RC car in my whole life!

It works amazingly good but the only downside is the controller is not good. I mean it only has click event? If that makes sense. Like a D button on console controllers. So you can just try to drive slowly and then accelerate etc.

Now I'm looking to other alternatives out there and the most common brands that I can find where I live are Nikko (this one is the most common one), HSP, Carrera and Traxxas (this one is quite expensive so it's not an option for now.)

What would you guys recommend? It would be great if the controller is like console controllers (shape).

Thanks a lot.

HSP are decent beginner rigs, but as far as longevity to me they kind of lack. traxxas, they used to be good and cheap, now they seem to be more "ok" and mid to high range in pricing. i do hear alot of people happy with WLtoys trucks they get of banggood (wltoys 12428 etc.) there are upgrades but limited to getting stuff through banggood and only their own brand upgrades.
i have also been hearing a good bit about the "tacon soar" vehicles, and people really liking those, i was reading that if thats the way you want to go to get the Brushless version as they already come with a bunch of upgrades. and upgrading the brushed version is going to be quite a bit more expensive than buying the brushless one outright.

Thank you for all the info. I feel like I went into a rabbit hole. Been on Google and YouTube since past week.

I really like WLtoys RC's. Seeing lot of positive words. What do you guys think about Tamiya & Kyosho?

I really like Tamiya because they have such models that I'm in love with. Especially the VW Beetle!

Thank you for all the info. I feel like I went into a rabbit hole. Been on Google and YouTube since past week.

I really like WLtoys RC's. Seeing lot of positive words. What do you guys think about Tamiya & Kyosho?

I really like Tamiya because they have such models that I'm in love with. Especially the VW Beetle!
tamiya and kyosho are both really good brands that their products range immensely, tamiya and kyosho both make very competitive racing vehicles as well as some more of the scale/realistic rigs.

Thank a lot @D3MON and @Heisenburg for welcome message :)

I ended up ordering two models from HPI. Its Formula Q32 & Baja Q32

But I really gotta have that Rally Beetle from Tamiya.

Also if anyone interested check out this amazing micro rc truck

Back