2S or 3S LiPO for Slash 4x4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgerman45

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading to a Slash 4x4 VXL. What difference would using 2S LiPO versus 3S LiPO make? Why would I want to use one versus the other?

Well 2s is like driving a Honda 3s like a corvette. If your transmitter has adjustable throttle to turn the power down I'd just go 3s and start at 75% it will be same as 2s then go to 100% and see how 3s power feels. That way also you don't waste money buy a 2s lipo and want more power and then end up buying a 3s later.

2 cell is best even though traxxas says it can handle a 3 cell. . it 3 cells thats puts alot more stress on the entire rc. put it this way 3500kv x 2 cell. thats 8,0 x 3500 kv.. and same with 3 cell 12 x 3500kv .. I have a few rc that I push to there limits but they have many upgrades and are built to be pushed . I dont run a full pack down I will run them for what they can take...

Ia one better for off road, grass, and rough terrain than the other?

It doesn't matter the surface, 2s (2cells) is a lower power battery 7.4v =less torque/speed than a 3s (3cells) is a higher power battery 11.1v =more torque/speed ?

Having experience with the Traxxas Velineon brushless setup, I can tell you that 2s is less stressful on the truck than the 3s. 3s tends to cause you to break things. Droping a couple of teeth on the pinion will cause more heat. You want ADD a couple of teeth to the pinion to help keep the temps down. I again know this from personal experience.

Well, I didn't have a slash, but had a stampede. I ran 2S in it for a long time and always wanted just a little more speed out of it. Without going 3S, I was overheating everything and pulling too many amps. With higher voltage and lower gearing, you pull less amps but are able to get a bit more speed. The motor will run hotter though as will the esc, so plan on fans for both. I'm not sure how the slash axles hold up, but I didn't have great luck even with 2S on my stampede with 2.8" trenchers and went with MIP X-Duties.

I've since lengthened it by getting a slash chassis and put a 150A esc in it with a 1/8th 2200kv motor and run 4S in it... I may have a problem. lol!

I’ve got a slash VXL 4wd and only run it on 3S. Here’s the short list; spur gear X3, pinion gear X2, axles X5, slipper clutch X6, drive shaft X2. The truck is on its edge on 3S. Hit something wrong or land wrong and parts start breaking.

Well 2s is like driving a Honda 3s like a corvette.
Well sort of. It's fast like a Corvette but still handles like an overpowered Honda.

If you're not used to the 3S power and want to run it at full tilt boogie, it's a bit squirelly. Adough13 has good advice, turn down the power.

The good thing about the 3S, even if you don't keep it pinned, is you have some power left for jumps. You can give it a bit more juice as you hit it and use it in the air to level it.

Again I think the biggest thing like I said is if you buy a 2s pack and then are disappointed and want more speed/power you have to turn around and just buy a 3s pack and then be out extra money. Save the cash go 3s and turn down throttle and get used to it tell your ready for the full 3s power?

I'm considering upgrading to a Slash 4x4 VXL. What difference would using 2S LiPO versus 3S LiPO make? Why would I want to use one versus the other?
Just use a 4s it’s better still ?.
3s FASTER at least another 10+ Mph.
standard spur gear (48t) I think and a 15 pinion with the vxl 3500kv motor and a decent Lipo should see you towards the better part of 50mph 48/49mph 40-50c 3s

I’ve got a 50T spur and a 19T pinion. Cop said he clocked me at 56mph at one point. I’m on 3S.

my theory is, if your WOT most of the time, you need more power. The last 10-30% throttle should be reserved. So, if your using all of it all the time, you need to upgrade so you have a little bit in the bank, if that makes sense