27mhz to 2.4ghz conversion??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringokid

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Hi I have been digging around in my loft and found my old cheap rc truck. I am considering converting it to 2.4ghz as I always had problems with the signal and range. Just wondering if it’s possible to do. And if anyone could tell me what I would need to do it. I don’t have a clue where to start. I obviously need a controller and receiver but not sure how I go about converting or what parts I will require. Any help greatly appreciated. Please if possible I would like to avoid the “get a different truck” comments I had from another forum

What truck do you have first of all? Does it have the receiver and ESC all in one? Is the steering servo a 3 wire or a 5 wire?

If it is a 3 wire servo, and your receiver and ESC are separate components, then you just need to grab a new radio and receiver. For that you could just go with a Flysky GT3B radio/receiver for around $40

If the ESC/receiver are all in one, and the servo is a 5 wire, then you will also need a new ESC and servo.

But without knowing what you have, it is hard to make any suggestions.

Pics will help.

What truck do you have first of all? Does it have the receiver and ESC all in one? Is the steering servo a 3 wire or a 5 wire?

If it is a 3 wire servo, and your receiver and ESC are separate components, then you just need to grab a new radio and receiver. For that you could just go with a Flysky GT3B radio/receiver for around $40

If the ESC/receiver are all in one, and the servo is a 5 wire, then you will also need a new ESC and servo.

But without knowing what you have, it is hard to make any suggestions.

Pics will help.
Ok so looks like it’s an all in one receiver and esc with a 3 wire servo
It’s a bonzer cross tiger
5C26B3F7-4AF0-489B-B486-01B02D59C939.jpeg

Ok so looks like it’s an all in one receiver and esc with a 3 wire servo
It’s a bonzer cross tiger
5C26B3F7-4AF0-489B-B486-01B02D59C939.jpeg
The purple and yellow thick wires go to the motor. The black and red thick wire to the battery. The thin yellow and blue to the on/off switch and the blac,white,red go to the steering servo

So I believe the fly sky gt3b will be ok but would need a speed controller for a brushed 540 motor??

Yeah, as Baker said, grab you an ESC also. That and the radio/receiver and you should be good to go.

Can you guys point me at the correct esc as I’m not sure what I’m really looking for. The motor I believe is a 540 brushed running off a 7.2v battery

loose the yellow n purple wires on motor go with a solid wire as in length, id also go with a 2 cell lipo and toss the 6 cell nimh.. you will have to limit your run time if switching .. any cheap brushed esc will work.. bind new radio calibrate new esc and hit the offroad.

I was looking at this but not sure if it was correct
CF8A061A-53DA-42EF-9EC7-119939667D0E.png

That 1060 is what I use for 1:16 and 1:18 RC's. It's what I use in my WPL crawlers. I mean, it would probably work just fine, but I would go with the 80A

This one is probably capable of doing what you need. If you want to go brushless, you could buy a motor/esc combo. But not sure what your budget is, or how much you want to spend on your truck. I also am not familiar with it to know what it can handle, but brushless would be a lot more reliable.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...80-amp-dual-brushed-esc-2-4s/HWI30120301.html
I was looking at this but not sure if it was correct
View attachment 139334
This is the ESC he meant to link. The one he linked is for dual motors.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/quicrun-80-amp-brushed-rock-crawler-esc-2s-3s/HWI30112750.html

Thanks guys I have ordered the Flysky gt3b controller and receiver and was thinking maybe go brushless. I have ordered a motor and esc combo kit and was wondering about batteries. I have ni-hm at the moment as I have the charger for that but someone did mention Lipo but that would require a different charger

Thanks guys I have ordered the Flysky gt3b controller and receiver and was thinking maybe go brushless. I have ordered a motor and esc combo kit and was wondering about batteries. I have ni-hm at the moment as I have the charger for that but someone did mention Lipo but that would require a different charger
If you go brushless you're gonna want to go lipo.

Can you recommend a low proced lipo charger please

I personally wouldnt go to cheap on a lipo charger. The Hitec X2 AC Plus. Its flexible in terms of running on AC or DC current. Good for beginners who dont have a DC power supply but want to upgrade for more charging power later on. It also reads internal resistance of Lipos which is a pretty important feature that a lot of cheap lipo chargers dont have. It can also do 2 lipos at the same time independently of each other. If you keep an eye out Tower hobbies usually puts this model on sale for 25% off making it around $100. They seem to put it on sale once every few weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks grey wolf, just checking though would a brushless run ok on ni-mh battery while I look into lipo or wait before swapping out the motor, just thinking as I’m converting the 27mhz to 2.4 I might as well swap out the motor while I’m at it

Back