2-Speed Shift Servo for Axial Ryft - Alternatives

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Looking to grab the Ryft for my son and I to build next, and the recommended micro shift servo is a Spektrum, that I am betting is not very durable. Has anyone built this kit? Are there multiple servo horns that come in the kit, or just the 24t one? I can fabricate or 3d print a horn if needed, but would prefer not to. I have lots of micro servos that I think will do the job, but none are 24 tooth.

Looking to grab the Ryft for my son and I to build next, and the recommended micro shift servo is a Spektrum, that I am betting is not very durable. Has anyone built this kit? Are there multiple servo horns that come in the kit, or just the 24t one? I can fabricate or 3d print a horn if needed, but would prefer not to. I have lots of micro servos that I think will do the job, but none are 24 tooth.
No experience with the Ryft, but I've recently got the Wrangler JLU rtr. The Spektrum micro dig servo died after about 3 runs. I don't believe the problem is with the Spektrum servo, but rather the endpoints were not set properly, if at all, from the factory. I just found a video on how to set endpoints on this rtr unit this am.
Since they are rather inexpensive, I would say try the recommended Spektrum servo, just to make life simple, but set those endpoints properly. Just an fyi, the Wrangler's dig servo horn I believe is a 20t.

No experience with the Ryft, but I've recently got the Wrangler JLU rtr. The Spektrum micro dig servo died after about 3 runs. I don't believe the problem is with the Spektrum servo, but rather the endpoints were not set properly, if at all, from the factory. I just found a video on how to set endpoints on this rtr unit this am.
Since they are rather inexpensive, I would say try the recommended Spektrum servo, just to make life simple, but set those endpoints properly. Just an fyi, the Wrangler's dig servo horn I believe is a 20t.
I have had that happen before with a shift servo trying to rip itself apart. I set all my endpoints at 5% now before I turn a new car on (digital radio).

My main concern with the recommended Spektrum servo is it isn't waterproof, and it is just a piece of junk according to reviews I have seen. And I don't particularly care for Spektrum servos. I know why the Spektrum servo is recommended (Horizon brand), but I ain't fallin for that crap 😉. I will make something I have work, or buy a better servo and make a horn if I have to.

If all that comes with the Ryft is the 24t horn I have a couple of these...
https://www.towerhobbies.com/produc...al-waterproof-metal-gear-servo/HRC35086W.html

But I am unsure if the servo geometry is going to put the horn in the right spot.

I have not heard good things about their servos. I would probably just replace it now and save yourself a future headache.

I have not heard good things about their servos. I would probably just replace it now and save yourself a future headache.
The kit doesn't come with a servo, and I am just getting ready to order the kit. Just trying to figure out if I should order a servo as well, or if I can use something I already have. I guess I'm just going to wing it and use what I have and make it work. I will share what I learn.

Back