100% new to electric, want to get a crawler.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotvotkong

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
so I've got myself 3 (traxxas rustler, slayer pro, stampede)nitro rigs over the winter, and I've finished em all up, to the point were i can't run them because of the cold.

so I'm looking at electric to get me through the next few months.

i own 0 electric stuff, no charger, no battery, nothing.

whats the best way to get into this. i need everything, so I'm guessing a rtr is the best bet, even tho i perfer a kit, i dont want this to be a super deep pit since ill only run it now and again.

i was looking at these models, please any info on durability, usability, and overall cost vs performance is apreciated. as well as anything i completely missed. i would perfer to be able to put a jeep type of body on it whatever it may be or a paneled crawler cage. id also like to keep it under 500 when all said and done. I'm not opposed to used stuff, but I've never bought a new rc car....

hpi crawler king rubicon rtr
HPI #102115

axial wraith rtr
Axial AX90018
(kit would be nice but esc alone is 70+)

or this even tho its not a crawler per say.

traxxas 2wd slash rtr
Traxxas #5803

IDK a ton about crawlers but I out of the ones you listed there Id look at the wraith. The wraith isnt a true crawler though. If you wanted a true crawler you might take a look at the Axial XR-10 or a Losi Night Crawler depending if you were interested in a Shaft driven crawler or a (MOA) Motor Over Axle crawler. Then you'll need some lipos and a way to charge them. www.hobbyking.com is a good place to get budget lipos and chargers. Hobbypartz.com is ok too but they keep jackin' up their prices on Lipos to the point where I dont want to buy from them anymore.

Spc racing makes some pretty nice lipos for cheap as well. I have the wraith and its awesome!! With a few mods you can make it a decent crawler. Out of the box it is great though!

Sent from my Pipboy-3000 in the Capital Wasteland.

No it's not. But "Djmedic" on YouTube has a how to video on water proofing with plasti-dip. I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Axial Wraith!
It's so cool, and the out of box performance is unreal!

from what I've read so far, it doesn't seem to say anywere. so id guess no.

so yea now I'm kinda between 3

losi night crawler
hpi crawler
axial wrath

I prefer the kits over the RTR versions With a kit, you can select the electronics that you want and don't have any you don't want. Axial's kits are well-designed and easy to build. The SCX-10 is an awesome trail rig that can crawl, although not as well as a true crawler. I have already built one of these rigs and would build another without hesitation.

gonna be real hard not to buy one today when I'm at the hobby shop...

The wraith is great if you want more of a trail truck that can rock crawl a bit. If you want to do serious rock crawling you want something besides the wraith.

the hpi one was so radio shack esq it was funny. so i had to pass. also the night crawler is already discontinued so i had to pass there. the wraith was just too damn fast for my liking, and the roll cage tho great, doesn't allow for the things i wana do body wise.

ended up with a scx10 honcho.

i got a lipo2s 5000 battery, and a charger that works for it. just need a plug to change the battery to the one on the truck. after tax i was in just under 500. so it all worked out. figure some wider bigger tires, and mess with the shocks a bit and I'm set.

I would get a Fire-Proof LiPo charging bag as well.

---------- Post added at 9:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:07 AM ----------

But congrats!

I didnt realize the night crawler was discontinued...That sucks...that was a great non-comp rig.

i got a fire bag on order. lol.

anyways my first mod was the body lift, it was easy, and free with the extra parts included. i test drove it at work in the snow banks, and it does ok, but needs wider tires and weights. as for indoor, its so grippy it does front and back wheelies. still gotta slow it down too. but all in all I'm really happy with it.

just after finishing my first battery up. see the body lift. all else is stock still. great fun gotta say. if you go slow enough, you can pack out snow, regaurdless of depth even with the 1.9 tires. amazing. can't wait to mod it out.
truck_by_sotvotkong-d5uig67.jpg

Back