1/5 scale monster truck for bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great to hear.. It is a complete toss up for me between Kraton 8s or Xmaxx.. There is a local hobby shop that has the kraton 8s in stock.. It looks sick.. I am just kinda leaning more towards the monster truck style vehicle. Which would be used for bashing and fun, flying thru the air. Looking for something that will handle what i throw at it since i will have to learn to control it, in this realm i am a super noob. lol

Based solely on the research I've done and videos, the xmaxx seems to be more forgiving and better suited for bashing. More noob friendly haha. I'm still very happy with my purchase.

I would strongly suggest going to a football field or soccer to get used to it. I live in a normal subdivision and it's really not a safe area for it 🤣.

Yeah, as i stated in the earlier thread it has probably been close to 30 years since I have had a remote and it was nothing like the new systems. I do know that the truck is about a grand and contains the truck, the remote, and a couple other thing such as maintenance tools (I have read these tools are trash). The SMC batteries seem decent, I found these on sale for $80 and get to pick the connector https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_171&product_id=657 .. would these be exactly what I am looking for?
From what I was able to find online the dimensions on the Xmaxx battery tray are 197mm x 51.5mm x 44mm so that particular pack should just fit.

That is great to hear.. It is a complete toss up for me between Kraton 8s or Xmaxx.. There is a local hobby shop that has the kraton 8s in stock.. It looks sick.. I am just kinda leaning more towards the monster truck style vehicle. Which would be used for bashing and fun, flying thru the air. Looking for something that will handle what i throw at it since i will have to learn to control it, in this realm i am a super noob. lol
The Kraton 8S is a beast but two upgrades you'll have to do eventually if you plan on airing it out are a thicker after market chassis plate and GPM 3 point rear tie rods. Youll also want/have to replace teh stock servo but this is true of all RTRs.

20210519_190443.jpg
20210520_091539.jpg
Capture2.JPG

From what I was able to find online the dimensions on the Xmaxx battery tray are 197mm x 51.5mm x 44mm so that particular pack should just fit.

The Kraton 8S is a beast but two upgrades you'll have to do eventually if you plan on airing it out are a thicker after market chassis plate and GPM 3 point rear tie rods. Youll also want/have to replace teh stock servo but this is true of all RTRs.

View attachment 134784View attachment 134785View attachment 134786
If i got those batteries for the xmaxx. I just need to make sure to pick the traxxas connector?

If i got those batteries for the xmaxx. I just need to make sure to pick the traxxas connector?
Unless you want to change the connectors on the Xmaxx's ESC then yes, pick the Traxxas connector. At least I'm assuming the Xmaxx ESC has a Traxxas connector. I dont own an Xmaxx.

Unless you want to change the connectors on the Xmaxx's ESC then yes, pick the Traxxas connector. At least I'm assuming the Xmaxx ESC has a Traxxas connector. I dont own an Xmaxx.

It does haha. You can of course run adapters, which I don't recommend. Mine kept popping off lol.

It does haha. You can of course run adapters, which I don't recommend. Mine kept popping off lol.
i didnt think about running adapters, that is an option. I run EC5 to Deans adapters in my K8 without issue. Is it the Traxxas connector part of the adapter thats popping off?

i didnt think about running adapters, that is an option. I run EC5 to Deans adapters in my K8 without issue. Is it the Traxxas connector part of the adapter thats popping off?

It is. It's not a very snug fit. It's a generic rectangular shape, vs the actual shape of the Traxxas connector. I dont have a great picture of it but this is a xt60 to traxxas adapter (grey).

20211011_095744.jpg

btw, just out of curiousity, how long of runtime would i get from 1 set of 6900 135c lipos? Debating if I need to buy 4 off the top or will be fine with 2.

btw, just out of curiousity, how long of runtime would i get from 1 set of 6900 135c lipos? Debating if I need to buy 4 off the top or will be fine with 2.

So I have 5200 50c packs and they're good for about 15 minutes. With the higher discharge rating, I could see those potentially lasting about the same or less, depending how you use it. I also grabbed some 9000mah 100c batteries and I've only used them about 15min each time and they still had plenty of juice left. I broke the truck last time after about 10-15 minutes of heavy bashing and the packs were sitting at 15.9vdc each.

From my short time with the truck, I think slightly lower mah batteries would be much better for bashing(less weight). An extra 1.5lbs coming down from 20+ feet adds up 🤣. I would start off with the two. Feel it out and see what you you like doing. I'll most likely be greeting some batteries in between the two sets I have now. I think I went overboard with the 9000mah.
20211008_214858.jpg

View attachment 134784View attachment 134785View attachment 134786
After seeing what my buddies k8s does vs his xmaxx... I'd lean towards xmaxx, hard. Even with the upgrades on the kraton (m2c chassis, vitivon hubs, upgraded turnbuckles, upgraded shock shafts, don't know what else), it just doesn't hold a candle for durability to the xmaxx in relatively stock form. It is big and impressive to see it fly... but so is the xmaxx. lol!

He has the outcast 8s too, but not nearly as upgraded as the k8s he has. He doesn't try bashing it as hard, but still tends to break stuff on it every time he runs it.

He breaks stuff on the xmaxx too, but not nearly as often and he beats that thing like it owes him money! I'm amazed every time he runs it as to what it drives away from.

Thanks for the recommendation.. I am leaning toward the Xmaxx at the moment anyway.. Just waiting for the Rock and Roll one to come back in stock.

I can't comment on the driving quality of the Xmaxx but building mine is as simple as it gets.

I can't comment on the driving quality of the Xmaxx but building mine is as simple as it gets.
I've driven my buddies a couple times... the best way I can describe handling is that it's like driving a couch, which is similar to riding in a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis. lol! Very plush, but you have to plan ahead for turning/stopping as it does both of those as the user's inputs seem to be more of a suggestion.

LOL! No, just based on how it felt to drive. I had a 1989 grand marquis as well, felt like driving a couch. Very "floaty".
Our Driver's Ed cars were all ocean liners for some reason. A Ford LTD, A bigass Cadillac, and a Buick that made it around the course before the back wheels crossed the starting line. I kinda like floaty RC cars. Maybe that's why 🤷‍♂️

I learned to drive in a VW bug out in the middle of the sand dunes.. Woot Woot...

I was in your exact situation this summer when looking into buying an 8S beast, i.e. haven’t had any experience with these newer vehicles. I ultimately picked up the RnR X-Maxx from a local shop called Gallimods. They do online sales too (seems like they always have an X-maxx in stock when I stop in for upgrades). They also have a point system for purchases, works out to be 10% cash credit to points equivalent.

IMHO if you’re willing to spend a couple hundred dollars more and use the discount you can get the traxxas brand smart charger and trx brand batteries cheaper. This got me playing and using my truck ASAP.

I have MUCH RESPECT to all those in the thread with their combined expertise; over time I’ll upgrade all the parts people are talking about, but I’d rather get the bashing mileage out of my truck then throw the upgraded parts into it as I repair it, including batteries down the road.

In the long run do whatever makes you happiest and gets you into the hobby. I’m so grateful to finally have one of these machines. It always puts a smile on my face and an adrenaline rush sending it into the air forward and back flipping it! Best of luck!

Back