1/5 scale monster truck for bashing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to change leads depending on the charger? Doesn't the charger come with all different connections? Or do i have to get the charger dependent on the batteries? Also which are the better batteries to get for the xmaxx?? Been reading the xmaxx batteries are not all that good.
Some chargers will come with various charging leads some of them only come with one, two, maybe 3 different leads and some just come with bare wires where they allow you to use whatever connector you want. The most important thing is to get a good quality charger. One that can read the IR of the lipo cells. The Hitec X2 AC Plus is a good one to start with that not terribly expensive, can charge 2 batteries at once, and can be run off of AC wall outlet or it can be run off of a DC power supply for even greater power output. If it doesn't come with the exact connectors you want you can either change them out or buy something like THIS.

Not trying to start a debate with DD but my personal opinion is dont use a steel spur gear or red loctite on anything. Just my .02 on that.

Last edited:
i use a 22t one but but 18t is probably the sweet spot for torque and speed make sure its Hotracing or any other respectable brand of hardened steel
Do you have a link for one? I found one on AMain Hobbies it is pinion (8)/spur(32). does that mean it is 8t?

Do you have a link for one? I found one on AMain Hobbies it is pinion (8)/spur(32). does that mean it is 8t?
not sure what the 8 and the 32 are supposed to represent. I'm guessing whatever pinion you were looking at had a gear pitch of mod.8 and the spur was 32P which are not the correct gear pitch for the Xmaxx. Your gear pitch should be "mod 1" and the stock gearing for the xmaxx is a 15T pinion/54T spur

Does that come with the spur? or is that a different piece? sorry for all the questions, this will be my first RC in a long time and the first one to ever be able to upgrade.
its just the pinion you don't have to get a steel spur but the stock one is the only real weak spot of the X-Maxx out of the box

so which spur would i be looking for? And the first thing I would do when i get it is to locktite every single screw?

so which spur would i be looking for? And the first thing I would do when i get it is to locktite every single screw?
The general rule of thumb in RC is to locktite every screw that goes into metal with blue loctite. I used red once on a chassis brace from my LST2 and I broke 2 allen wrenches trying to get it undone when the brace broke and I had to replace it. I do not suggest using red. Orange maybe but not red.

The general rule of thumb in RC is to locktite every screw that goes into metal with blue loctite. I used red once on a chassis brace from my LST2 and I broke 2 allen wrenches trying to get it undone when the brace broke and I had to replace it. I do not suggest using red. Orange maybe but not red.
There are a few occasions where I had to use red to keep something from moving. In those cases, I made sure it was something I could heat with a pencil torch to get the threadlock to release. In cases where blue doesn't hold and a torch isn't advised, I use orange. Even with orange, you better have a really good allen like MIP or something similar. And if in doubt as to how good a hex on a 2mm or less grub screw is, remove it and use a new one before using orange.

Here is an E-version DBXLE!.. :thumbs-up:
Not my vid ,but is an awesome bash session!..😍

I watched the video, and I liked the performance of the Armma cars more than the performance of the Losi DBXL-E. The Losi seemed slower, and too heavy to really get up to higher speeds. I am not a brasher, I am more of a racer, but the Losi seemed slow and sluggish.

Sorry I'm late to the party. Just got the Xmaxx my self. First thing is go over the whole truck. Your gear mesh is probably going have to be reset out the box. Mine came way to tight. Or you will strip them out. Get a good set of harden steal gears pionon/spur. You can get a full set of pionons from 18-22T. Spurs depending how you want the truck to run I got spurs from 46t- 54t. Hot racing , raidenracing, wfo, GPM, just make sure it's harden steal. I don't trust the motor pins for mesh I pulled mine out. They are not very good for the meshing of gears. IMHO. Lock tight screws with blue 242 that go into METAL only not in plastic . Can use red on the gears but might have hard time getting apart. I use the youme 6500mah 60c and HRB 6000mah 50c batteries. As long as the batteries have the trx plug they will work with the male ID plug. The ID plugs are only for charging .smart batteries and the ID batteries from traxxas. Imo way over rated/ priced Better batteries for way cheaper. The esc has issues but I haven't had a problem yet running it for a few months now all good so far. Just get the truck and you will notice parts that you will want to upgrade. Slow and steady and you will have one BAD A** MT.
Screenshot_20210715-063816_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20210715-063709_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The Xmaxx definitely take a beating
Gearing up will help with over heating. 18/46 runs hot but tons of tourqe. The big you go you will loose some tourqe but pic up to pend speed. I run my X8s with 20t pinon and a 50t spur. And it's all around a good spot for my bashing. Good throttle control will also help with heat issue.dont just hold it pind the whole time or run it in deep sand/mud and you should be 👍fine

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the responses. So far have not pulled the trigger since the blue xmaxx, all xmaxxs for that matter, are on backorder. I keep checking to see if anyone has the blue rock and roll xmaxx for cheaper, but so far the cheapest i have seen is 899, but i missed the sale ;-(. Also i think i have everything in the cart @ AmainHobby.com except the charger and the spur. I am still looking for a good spur and a dual charger. I already have 4 batteries in the cart so that when i go out I should be able to have a good amount for time bashing.

With the blue Locktite, I want to just put it on the screws that go into metal?

The pinion I have in the cart is https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...re-18t-hransg18m1/p-qtazqqtqlb2xactz?v=765888

Also so far for the batteries, I have these in my cart

gensacearespammers 4S 50C LiPo Battery Pack w/XT60 Connector (14.8V/8500mAh). These should be good?​

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the responses. So far have not pulled the trigger since the blue xmaxx, all xmaxxs for that matter, are on backorder. I keep checking to see if anyone has the blue rock and roll xmaxx for cheaper, but so far the cheapest i have seen is 899, but i missed the sale ;-(. Also i think i have everything in the cart @ AmainHobby.com except the charger and the spur. I am still looking for a good spur and a dual charger. I already have 4 batteries in the cart so that when i go out I should be able to have a good amount for time bashing.

With the blue Locktite, I want to just put it on the screws that go into metal? Also so far for the batteries, I have these in my cart

gensacearespammers 4S 50C LiPo Battery Pack w/XT60 Connector (14.8V/8500mAh). These should be good?​

It's a hard truck to get I waited and look almost 6 months. Good batteries but will need adapter from xt-60male to trx female . Or look for batteries that have the trx plug on it already

You might have better luck looking at none main stream RCshops on the net. I got mine from beachRC.com in NC. The rock-n-roll is hard to find
I don't even RC anymore, but I really dig the Arma Kraton 8s EXB.

Yes! that's my next investment kra8s

The pinion I have in the cart is https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...re-18t-hransg18m1/p-qtazqqtqlb2xactz?v=765888

Or you can change the connectors on the X-8s to XT60. I put XT-90 connectors on my X
That's the price I paid 899/ 925$ just truck after taxes total

Last edited:

Whats got you conflicted in terms of picking a charger? Just curious.

GenAce is overpriced imo. Not that they are bad but you can get some 4S Hoovo lipos off of amazon for cheaper and they will perform about as good from what I've seen.

I don't even RC anymore, but I really dig the Arma Kraton 8s EXB.

I love my K8, Its gotta be top 3 favorite trucks of all time. Needs upgrades tho if your gonna bash it hard but its fairly easy to work on and it runs like a scalded dog!

Just out of curiosity, would it be worth it to pick up a used xmaxx from the facebook xmaxx group? Or better to buy a brand new one?

Just out of curiosity, would it be worth it to pick up a used xmaxx from the facebook xmaxx group? Or better to buy a brand new one?
You might be getting some one else's problems. Unless you know the person.the X is alot of $$. What's the price on it. Brand new from traxxas with everything.its about 12-1300. That's truck control charger and batteries. Traxxas everything.

Unless your a seasoned hobbyist I dont recommend buying used. As Stoner said half the time you end up inheriting someone elses interimmentant issue they can't figure out how to fix. Plus you have no idea what condition the bearings and internal gears are in etc. The main thing though is just being able to identify and repair any issues that it may have. I dont buy used unless I get them for at least 40% cheaper than the RC and the hop ups combined cost and even then the pics have to look like they are in tip top shape.

Last edited:
So I found this thread…..had the same question…..@Demonwolf……any progress?
olds97…… thoughts on K8S update?
HPIguy……Imthisclose to pulling the trigger on K8 EXB later this fall when I get my bonus check, depending on what size it is.

I’m thinking the big Losi May not except the Heights it may be falling from when I do launch whatever I buy next. And I know that the X max is as tough as nails as a basher, but I do have some wide open spaces and I heard about it it’s handling and speed and going into corners etc. Didn’t mean to hijack this thread but I asked the exact same question…….thanx

Back