Need help finding a electric set for a WPL RC truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you got a 540 motor in that, its not over gearing the diffs with those big tires is it? I saw this video once from a hobby store about 7 ways you destroy your RC and one was putting bigger tires on it causing it to over gear. Idk, 540 might counteract that.

Since you got a 540 motor in that, its not over gearing the diffs with those big tires is it? I saw this video once from a hobby store about 7 ways you destroy your RC and one was putting bigger tires on it causing it to over gear. Idk, 540 might counteract that.
Running to high of a gear ratio wont hurt anything. It will just make the truck more "torquey" than fast. Running to low a gear ratio can burn up your motor and/or ESC but its easy to tell when you're gear ratio is to low. Your motor temps will start getting to hot.

I have those Thick metal differentials on my Q60 race truck. I like those. smooth as butter. Have you used the 370 motor before? I heard it has half the speed of a unmodified WPL but has a lot of torque. Suites me fine because the B16 is going to be more like an amphibious cargo truck than a rock crawler.
Yes I have 2 of them and the transfer case. I liked it the military truck I have come with I think the 170 but yea I upgraded to the 370 and also the small twin motors. Those are small but 1 operates the front and the other the back.all in all for that size range of motors I liked the 370. Can't beat the 540 with the controller I have I can super crawl and it also gets up and goes when you need the Speed. A friend challenged me with a trsxxis and we'll I gave him a run for his money. He was alittle faster but not as much pulling power or climbing power as a simple wpl. He thought I was going to bring a knife to a gun fight sorta speek. Haha I showed him. GOOD TIMES.The axles are awsome I love them I modifyed them to work on my 1/16 scale so that it will have a wide stance for more stability. Hey I bought a brushless esc and motor a while back and haven't used it yet but it's all waterproof. Esc and motor. Sold by surpass hobby. They have good products and good prices. Here is a pic of the motor. You can buy just it or a package deal with it and a motor or all that with a servo also waterproof. the best prices was at Bangood. I have recently been shopping there àlot the only thing is it sometimes takes a while to get it but other then wish and I hate that company there the best prices you can find. I really hope something of what I have shared with you will help. I'm really interested in how that amphibious truck turns out. I think that's a awsome idea and I hope you don't mind but I just might have to try my hand at building one.
Screenshot_20210607-140515.png

I haven't had this size of tires on it long but the only thing is it has been wiggling the grub screws loose. I have recently purchased some locktight and drilled the other side to install a second grub screw. You would think they would of done that anyway but it's ok. I have taken and replaced the gears inside and the main drive shafts with heavy duty metalbons and the feed drive shaft with alot larger size so the torque wouldn't twist anything. I have built some real crawlers so I have a little idea how things work but it wouldn't matter. Fixing is part of the fun. Build it big. Break it. See what's wrong and build it stronger. We have some crazy train here and now we just had a wildfire not too long ago that burnt almost everything and now it's the time of season for rain and has moved made everything's really sticky and kind of gooey with all the ash. A tell good place to tear up a rc but super fun. Mainly I build and my kids break. I like the challenge of seeing what my creations can stand. I don't know I'm weird.yiu know the ones that I baby because seams to give up first so all in all we just drive it like we stole it. I buy parts to fill in but mostly I try reuseing what is salvageable from other RCs and now somebody's gave me three totes of all kinds of rc parts so it's been like Christmas. Alot of parts I have never seen before. Oh and to answer that the motor never has got hot yet even running full tilt for along period of time. I only run a 7.4 2cell and the motor calls for more so mabey that's helping me. Not shure about all that I haven't been doing this long but I have burnt up a hand full. Esc also but I'm still learning.

Running to high of a gear ratio wont hurt anything. It will just make the truck more "torquey" than fast. Running to low a gear ratio can burn up your motor and/or ESC but its easy to tell when you're gear ratio is to low. Your motor temps will start getting to hot.
Huh, interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

I haven't had this size of tires on it long but the only thing is it has been wiggling the grub screws loose. I have recently purchased some locktight and drilled the other side to install a second grub screw. You would think they would of done that anyway but it's ok. I have taken and replaced the gears inside and the main drive shafts with heavy duty metalbons and the feed drive shaft with alot larger size so the torque wouldn't twist anything. I have built some real crawlers so I have a little idea how things work but it wouldn't matter. Fixing is part of the fun. Build it big. Break it. See what's wrong and build it stronger. We have some crazy train here and now we just had a wildfire not too long ago that burnt almost everything and now it's the time of season for rain and has moved made everything's really sticky and kind of gooey with all the ash. A tell good place to tear up a rc but super fun. Mainly I build and my kids break. I like the challenge of seeing what my creations can stand. I don't know I'm weird.yiu know the ones that I baby because seams to give up first so all in all we just drive it like we stole it. I buy parts to fill in but mostly I try reuseing what is salvageable from other RCs and now somebody's gave me three totes of all kinds of rc parts so it's been like Christmas. Alot of parts I have never seen before. Oh and to answer that the motor never has got hot yet even running full tilt for along period of time. I only run a 7.4 2cell and the motor calls for more so mabey that's helping me. Not shure about all that I haven't been doing this long but I have burnt up a hand full. Esc also but I'm still learning.
Yeah, I found myself with a box full of WPL parts, this DUKW build that I'm doing is mostly recycled parts out of my bin. Which metal pinion and bevel gears did you get? I've seen at least 3 or 4 different ones.

Yes I have 2 of them and the transfer case. I liked it the military truck I have come with I think the 170 but yea I upgraded to the 370 and also the small twin motors. Those are small but 1 operates the front and the other the back.all in all for that size range of motors I liked the 370. Can't beat the 540 with the controller I have I can super crawl and it also gets up and goes when you need the Speed. A friend challenged me with a trsxxis and we'll I gave him a run for his money. He was alittle faster but not as much pulling power or climbing power as a simple wpl. He thought I was going to bring a knife to a gun fight sorta speek. Haha I showed him. GOOD TIMES.The axles are awsome I love them I modifyed them to work on my 1/16 scale so that it will have a wide stance for more stability. Hey I bought a brushless esc and motor a while back and haven't used it yet but it's all waterproof. Esc and motor. Sold by surpass hobby. They have good products and good prices. Here is a pic of the motor. You can buy just it or a package deal with it and a motor or all that with a servo also waterproof. the best prices was at Bangood. I have recently been shopping there àlot the only thing is it sometimes takes a while to get it but other then wish and I hate that company there the best prices you can find. I really hope something of what I have shared with you will help. I'm really interested in how that amphibious truck turns out. I think that's a awsome idea and I hope you don't mind but I just might have to try my hand at building one.View attachment 127900
To be honest, I built a boat in shop class back in high school and he had a thermoforming machine, so this is my first time building something like that in a while. I figure that since GMC in 1942 took a variant of their CCKW 6x6 chassis and build a watertight hull around it with welded sheet metal and dubbed it the DUKW, I can do the same with Styrene plastic sheets and Bondo, if not superglue. any adhesive that's like school glue should work.

Damn beer giving me ideas on getting another JJRC Q60 which JJRC is very very similar to WPL, but anyways I digress. Just spit balling here but it would be cool to get a Q60 and make a fire truck like this
1623108183391.png

Or get a WPL B16
1623108344247.png

1623108564070.png

With a little imagination and skill, anything is possible with these WPLs.

If I'm not mistaken, I ran across a video where a guy took a wpl chassis and converted the whole thing, wheels and body into a 1920s ford pickup.

Found this video of custom WPLs, one is a dodge pickup

Okay, so the model T pickup was a JJRC
Video is meant for kids, but its another example of what you can do with these $50 dollar military trucks.

To be honest, I built a boat in shop class back in high school and he had a thermoforming machine, so this is my first time building something like that in a while. I figure that since GMC in 1942 took a variant of their CCKW 6x6 chassis and build a watertight hull around it with welded sheet metal and dubbed it the DUKW, I can do the same with Styrene plastic sheets and Bondo, if not superglue. any adhesive that's like school glue should work.
Not real shure how heavy it is but I saw someone cut a large hole in the bottom of a jhon boat and fill it with a screen door then sprayed it with rino linner and it worked. I have used it in the past on a Ford bronco. I pulled the seats and sprayed inside the whole cab then installed waterproof speakers and stero after sealing off other components. After wheeling with the top off I would just spray it out with a hose. Never tryed to make it float though. Well kinda but rino linner didn't help for that.

Found this video of custom WPLs, one is a dodge pickup
Sweet thanks I am definitely going to check that out. So I have been digging through my parts and found my windshield sprayer pumps. Small but perfect for rc trucks so a old school fire truck would be cool but I'm thinking I am going to make a swamp boat out if old drones and a old boat she'll then add the pumps kinda like a coast guard rescue boat but swamp boat style. To many rocks in our area for a prop and I don't have any jet propelled stuff. Another thing I thought if is to take a second cab and fit the two togeather to make a crew cab with a shirt bed.I'm just thinking about what you just don't see in the rc world that often. I think its all been thought of but but something that's just not so common. The otger photos is motors I have accumulated over time and the other picture is all motors that will fit up to the transfer case or the gearbox for th
IMG_20210608_123154266.jpg
e wpl including the waterproof esc I told you I had and haven't had a chance to use yet it will bolt up to the depo gearbox
IMG_20210608_123625752.jpg
IMG_20210608_123038189.jpg
16233056716582512146099310897273.jpg

Damn beer giving me ideas on getting another JJRC Q60 which JJRC is very very similar to WPL, but anyways I digress. Just spit balling here but it would be cool to get a Q60 and make a fire truck like this
View attachment 127902
So I'm thinking about getting a seesaw for my wpl but I'm also thinking about a 6 wheel wpl with motor on axle. Three 170 motors tall tires crazy grip and the right amount of weight to get traction.one thing that will keep alot of the weight low so I can lift it and with 3 motors it should be strong. Not going for speed. Totally nothing but rock crawler. My kid won't a rc with wheel dolly tires and I think I have what I need to do it all. Man so many projects to little time.

Hey I know I asked this but I forgot and I can't get back to the post that said it but what kind of rc is this. I need a gear that goes on the motor to connect to what I think they call it the spur gear. I plan to put longer a arms to make it wider and put longer shocks on it to get more flex. I have all but the gear so I have to order it but don't know what kind of rc it is or the tooth count but with the name I can find out the gear size from there.
16233597291388970080653496198288.jpg
16233597859494543333631647529552.jpg
16233598091447948503621313559311.jpg

Hey I know I asked this but I forgot and I can't get back to the post that said it but what kind of rc is this. I need a gear that goes on the motor to connect to what I think they call it the spur gear. I plan to put longer a arms to make it wider and put longer shocks on it to get more flex. I have all but the gear so I have to order it but don't know what kind of rc it is or the tooth count but with the name I can find out the gear size from there.View attachment 128038View attachment 128039View attachment 128040
Not at all familiar with that particular RC. Sorry.

So I'm thinking about getting a seesaw for my wpl but I'm also thinking about a 6 wheel wpl with motor on axle. Three 170 motors tall tires crazy grip and the right amount of weight to get traction.one thing that will keep alot of the weight low so I can lift it and with 3 motors it should be strong. Not going for speed. Totally nothing but rock crawler. My kid won't a rc with wheel dolly tires and I think I have what I need to do it all. Man so many projects to lit
Wheel dolly tires? You mean dolly caster wheels?
1623706244417.png

Nope I really mean wheel dolly tires. I plan to use 2 motor and rear boxes from a powered wheel chair and a adaptor that has the same bolt pattern as the rims of a wheel dolly. the motor takes up to 24volts but it will run on 12volts and I have a bunch of power wheel battery a that I plan to use. The truck will be the size of a radio flyer wagon atleast.
Screenshot_20210614-204633.png
IMG_20210614_205617207.jpg
IMG_20210614_205737300.jpg
16237187054551452223416828014278.jpg
16237187662039143270076050159168.jpg

Back