New LST XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like good quality stuff! Quick question it seems that the diffs are a very weak link on these LST style rugs? I was considering purchasing one from my brothers friend but he said he has put several sets of diffs in it and they do not hold up that well. I am sure with some shimming would prob help out but it seems from what I have researched that diffs are pretty high priced for the LST platforms.

Looks like good quality stuff! Quick question it seems that the diffs are a very weak link on these LST style rugs? I was considering purchasing one from my brothers friend but he said he has put several sets of diffs in it and they do not hold up that well. I am sure with some shimming would prob help out but it seems from what I have researched that diffs are pretty high priced for the LST platforms.

Do you know if he was using the HD cup?

I haven't heard too many issues with the diffs, especially if you stay nitro. The HD diff cup that Losi has out and comes stock in the XXL seems to be pretty stout, mine was torn up from pieces of the ring and pinion. I know on the older ones, the diff cups would get worn where the pins for the bevel gears sat, this would in turn cause the bevel gears to strip. My bevel gears and inside of my diff cup looked fine, the only thing that ruined them was the fact that I kept running it after I knew my ring and pinion were going, the pieces of metal cut grooves into the outside of the cup and actually went deep enough to cause them to leak. If I hadn't found the IRC cups for as cheap as I got them, I would've probably just gone with the stock ones again. I'm also pretty sure that my stock diffs may have lasted a little longer if I hadn't thrown the "big" tires on it, they're a bit heavier and taller than stock.

Thanks for the info. So if I end up with one it sounds like I should do the XXL diff upgrade then. The LST2 is the one he is trying to sell.

I picked up a new steering servo, a Hitec HS-7950TH will replace my HSR-5990TG that stopped working. I also ordered a couple standard HV servos for my T/B and shift, this will aloo me to run a 2s rx pack and have the full 486 in/oz (35kg/cm) of torque. I'm going to contact Hitec and see if they can repair the 5990TG, it's an old discontinued robot servo though so I'm not sure if they can/will.

I finally sorted the electrical issues, and now I'm having tuning issues and have killed 2 plugs in about 3 tanks. I've always had issues with the tune of this engine, I'm thinking it's a carb issue, so I'll be getting a new carb. If I can't get it sorted though, I guess I'll be jumping on the LRP bandwagon. I did get it running alright this afternoon and have put about 4 tanks on the current plug but I can tell the tune is off, if bogs horribly on take off but if I lean it out it'll hang after a WOT pass and has high revs at idle. I did have the pleasure of letting it play with a light pole, the light pole ended up being a bully and busted the front carrier (luckily I had a spare).

Ran it this past Sunday and the HSN was leaning itself out, easy fix was ordering a LRP .32. I'll order a new carb for the 454 and try it in my 801XT. I also decided to weigh this thing, it's sitting at about 15.7lbs, hopefully the .32 will throw it around.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

My new engine and servos arrived today, looks like I'll have something to do this weekend. Now I'm just waiting on the ERCM big block end bleed and it should be good for a little while at least.

Now I just need to put some fuel through it, hopefully I'll be able to get it started tomorrow and finished by this weekend.

20140617_154113_zpsbliwtjx3.jpg

20140617_154127_zpszqe7kzwi.jpg

20140617_154141_zps5w4y19p7.jpg

20140617_190900_zpsl27905il.jpg

I've got 2 tanks through it, hopefully I'll be able to get a few more through it today. My first tank I was only able to get it to 200, it stayed between 190 and 200. My second tank, I covered the engine with a work glove and it only got up to 140-150. I'm going to wrap the engine and head with aluminum foil today, hopefully it'll get up to around 210-220.

Another thing I've noticed is the compression, from what I've read from others, I was expecting a lot more. I was really expecting to have a hard time getting it started because of it, my first start was surprisingly easy though. I blew into the pressure line to prime the engine and then it started on the second pull, that was without preheating the engine and the outside temp was mid 60s.

Third tank didn't get above 160 until the very end when it went up to 200, that was with the head wrapped in foil. I added more foil and went out a few hours later, i got half way through the tank and it wouldn't go above 120. I need to figure out a way to get the temps up, I guess I'll have to lean it out slightly.

Another thing I've noticed is the compression, from what I've read from others, I was expecting a lot more. I was really expecting to have a hard time getting it started because of it, my first start was surprisingly easy though. I blew into the pressure line to prime the engine and then it started on the second pull, that was without preheating the engine and the outside temp was mid 60s.

I alway think this when I first crank over a new nitro, even with my new piccos, go figure!

Another one I find interesting, more strange than anything else, is the fact that I read so many new hobbyists pulling on the pull-start and getting blisters.

I ran another tank through it today, I had to lean it some to get the temps up. I let it cool and tried another tank and it wouldn't start, I figured it was a dead ignitor so I grabbed my spare. I had to loosen the plug and it would fire for a second and then die, fuel was also starting to collect around the plug. I don't understand why leaning it would cause me to start having issues with it being too rich to start, I've got my ignitor charging so I'll try it again and replace the plug if I have any issues.

I'm starting to think my XXL is cursed lol. :whhooo:

Another one I find interesting, more strange than anything else, is the fact that I read so many new hobbyists pulling on the pull-start and getting blisters.
I've got a good one after today, right in-between my index and middle finger. I had skin and blood hanging on my pull start. It also cost me a glow ignitor, I accidentally spiked it into the concrete. :angry:

Had it out the other day and ran 1/2 a tank through it to kill some time before a commander's call, it ran great. I was putting it back in my car when my old shop chief pulled up and talked me into letting him see it run....just for a second. We all know how this turns out, it seems that it always only takes a just second for something to break. I had it jumping/backflipping off of some small hills, I was still taking it pretty easy and running rich. All was going fine until I decided to jump a different hill, I didn't notice that there was a curb leading up to it.....nailed it. I didn't notice until after I had finished the tank and was loading up, but I cracked one of my front lower arms. It's still together, so I can run it until the RPM arms get here.

Had it out at the beach today, first beach I went to that was all rocks and no sand...made clean up easy. I did have a few cartwheels and ended up breaking my front right spindle, surprised me that the cracked arm stayed together, I'm pretty sure the spindle was weakened when I nailed the curb on my last outing. Like a dummy I kept driving it and ended up loosing the turnbuckle for the steering, time to get the Lunsford turnbuckles and RPM rod ends. It did run great though, I'm still running it pretty rich but it starts on 2nd or 3rd pull after priming.

New pipe arrived, of course I've busted a steering block and lost the turnbuckle so I can't try it out yet.

DSC_0025_zps1747747e.jpg

Man, does Robin make pieces of art or what!
I love the raw finish on them.

I took it out to my buddy's track today and had a pretty good time. I think I'm going to go back to having a servo saver though, I'm tired of breaking my steering blocks, I didn't even get through 1 tank.

Might want to look into an OS short header. The losi header is very long and kinda turns that endbleed into a low end only pipe.

I used the two piece and shortened the stock header, but i had i short Os header with the same bends as the losi. I just dont remember the part mumber.

Last edited: