ZD Racing Pirates 3 MT8 RTR - Transmitter configuration

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zalho69

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a ZD Racing Pirates 3 MT8 RTR with 120A ESC with a 4-channel transmitter and I have some issues and questions:
  1. My car doesn't brake, it decelerates very slowly and only then goes into reverse. How can I brake with it? Do I need to change anything in the transmitter?
  2. The throttle neutral knob is not in the middle because it starts to run backwards. Is there any way to reset the neutral to the zero?
  3. What is the 3rd channel for? What can I do with it? Should the button be on or off?
  4. Sometimes when I press the throttle the car glitches and accelerates very slowly. What could be the problem?
  5. How can I active the failsafe on the receiver?
Thanks for your support. ;)

ZD-Racing-Pirates-3-Remote-Control-460002-0.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome in @zalho69 , I would rebind it and then do a set up according to your user manual. If its available, your punch settings could be off.

your radio cannot give you more brakes. I'm not sure but some esc will slow down then give you reverse. maybe if you read the manual you can turn reverse off and have the brakes your after.just a try

As tnt said, your brakes aren't controlled by your transmitter. That is the ESC's job.

As far as resetting the trim knob on your radio to zero, that would mean recalibrating your ESC to the transmitter. What ESC does the car have?

Hi,

I have a ZD Racing Pirates 3 MT8 RTR with 120A ESC with a 4-channel transmitter and I have some issues and questions:
  1. My car doesn't brake, it decelerates very slowly and only then goes into reverse. How can I break with it? Do I need to change anything in the transmitter?
  2. The throttle neutral knob is not in the middle because it starts to run backwards. Is there any way to reset the neutral to the zero?
  3. What is the 3rd channel for? What can I do with it? Should the button be on or off?
  4. Sometimes when I press the throttle the car glitches and accelerates very slowly. What could be the problem?
  5. How can I active the failsafe on the receiver?
Thanks for your support. ;)
Are you using the stock ESC? If so, the settings are probably off, and that ESC can be a pain to set, but, you need to change braking force on the ESC itself (if i remember right, you can set the brakes to 0%, 25%, 50%, and 100%). If its the 120A ESC, its the same as the GoolRC ESC, so you can follow the set up instructions for that one. If its the Hobby Wing, its basically the same steps as the GoolRC ESC, but slightly different settings and manuals for both can be found online.

Which receiver is it?

The third channel, for that truck, is best used for lights.

To set the throttle end points, so that the throttle trim is at 0, look in the manual. It will have instructions on how to do it.

Welcome in @zalho69 , I would rebind it and then do a set up according to your user manual. If its available, your punch settings could be off.
I don't have the manual and I can't find it online. How can I rebind it? Can you help me?
Are you using the stock ESC? If so, the settings are probably off, and that ESC can be a pain to set, but, you need to change braking force on the ESC itself (if i remember right, you can set the brakes to 0%, 25%, 50%, and 100%). If its the 120A ESC, its the same as the GoolRC ESC, so you can follow the set up instructions for that one. If its the Hobby Wing, its basically the same steps as the GoolRC ESC, but slightly different settings and manuals for both can be found online.

Which receiver is it?

The third channel, for that truck, is best used for lights.

To set the throttle end points, so that the throttle trim is at 0, look in the manual. It will have instructions on how to do it.
The ESC is the original 120A from ZD Racing, I can't find more information about it and I don't have the car manual and can't find it online.
How can I program the ESC? Do I need some additional device?

I don't have the manual and I can't find it online. How can I rebind it? Can you help me?

The ESC is the original 120A from ZD Racing, I can't find more information about it and I don't have the car manual and can't find it online.
How can I program the ESC? Do I need some additional device?
ZD Racing uses 3 different ESC's, so, can you upload a pic of it? If it is the rebranded Surpass Hobby one, you can only program it with this card: https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-...ESC-p-1057127.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy The biggest issue with ZD Racing is that they dont supply much info on their vehicles, and, the only way to get the manual is buy it online from places like BangGood and AliExpress.

ZD Racing uses 3 different ESC's, so, can you upload a pic of it? If it is the rebranded Surpass Hobby one, you can only program it with this card: https://usa.banggood.com/Racerstar-...ESC-p-1057127.html?cur_warehouse=CN&rmmds=buy The biggest issue with ZD Racing is that they dont supply much info on their vehicles, and, the only way to get the manual is buy it online from places like BangGood and AliExpress.
@biggman100 thanks for the tips, the ESC is exactly the same as the Surpass Hobby, photos attached.
I will buy the program card and try to change the settings 😉
The manual I can't find it anywhere :confused:

IMG_20220829_203816.jpg

IMG_20220829_203826.jpg

Last edited:
I continued my search and find out that the transmitter is exacly the same as the DumboRC X4, just rebranded :)
Can anyone tell me what is the 4th channel (3 position switch on the side) for? What is 'Tap Position'?

Channel one is steering, channel two is ESC or throttle servo, channel three or four is auxiliary used for four wheels steering, lights, stuff like that.

@biggman100 thanks for the tips, the ESC is exactly the same as the Surpass Hobby, photos attached.
I will buy the program card and try to change the settings 😉
The manual I can't find it anywhere :confused:

View attachment 151400

View attachment 151401
That is a Surpass Hobby Rocket ESC. This should be the manual for it, which will show you how to set throttle end points: https://queenhobby.com/imageupload/3661/CAR ZD/manual ESC/ZD ESC for Car Manual.pdf The throttle settings are in section 2. Ignore the whole, use the musical tones in section 2.3, thing to set the ESC. It is way harder than it sounds, and if you get it wrong, can make things worse. Those settings are best done with a program card. As for the manual for the car, good luck, since it doesn't even look like its currently available on BangGood or AliExpress. Sometimes you can find it on eBay, or, you can try FB. Someone might have one you can at least look at.

Back