Yeti XL Diff rebuild questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Bandicoot

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So the front diff poop the bed last weekend and started making clicking sounds.
After pulling it apart it seems as though one of the bearings holding the diff case finally fell apart, and subsequently damaged the ring and pinion gears (see attached pics)
20191022_185741.jpg20191022_185904.jpg
So, what have other people done when fixing these up? Is it worth buying aluminium housings and bulkheads? And do I use a set of Fast Eddy bearings or just go with standard?
Thanks!

I always try to find ABEC5 bearings if possible. I've had issues with diff pinion gear, and diff outdrive bearings. I run in a very dusty environment, and had to adjust my routine maintenance schedule. I used to run 20 packs through my RCs...too many blown bearings just like you pictured. 15 packs, and I still got more crunchy bearings then I liked. I now do complete cleaning/rebuild after 12 packs are put through my RCs. That seems to be about right for my situation/conditions. YMMV.

Thanks HeavyBag, I've been lazy and haven't really done any maintenance on this.
I opened the rear diff to have a peak and found a similar thing.
20191024_201429.jpg
Bearings were about to fall apart, but were still intact (were!) and holding everything in place. Despite the large amount of grease inside the diff housing there was a pool of water trapped in the bottom with rust everywhere. Pic shows after i've quickly cleaned the grease out.
20191024_200910.jpg

I'm going to reuse the gears as they aren't as bad as the fronts. Just a cleanup with new diff fluid and bearings and gasket.

It's a totally different animal, but my 1/10 scale Yeti had the rear bearing replaced with a thrust type bearing. It seemed to handle the lateral load much better. Needless to say, I outgrew the rock racer. I really wish I had gotten the XL but timing was not quite right.

Anyway, maybe the folks over at RC Crawler would steer you in a better direction... http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/

Back